Framelocks ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ken

Framelocks ?

Post by ken »

I've noticed that the spyderco karambit has what is called a framelock. Is this just another name for a compression lock?

If not what is the advantage of one over the other?

What other spydies use the frame lock?

and

How do they compare to a linerlock?

Thanks,
ken
ken
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: It's a one piece liner lock, the scale is the lock. Very very strong, can't really fail while it's being held in a grip. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I would say that "framelock" can be used to describe either a liner or compression style lock where the lock is integral with a metal handle and is not covered by a scale of some other material. The lock of a framelock is generally thicker than that of a liner or nested compression lock and generally stronger as a result. There is also no way the knife can become jammed in the open position by a foreign object caught between the scale and the lock, so some consider them more reliable. The Karambit, like the Cricket, is a liner lock style framelock. The ATR, on the other hand, would be a compression framelock.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ken

Post by ken »

The Deacon wrote:I would say that "framelock" can be used to describe either a liner or compression style lock where i knowThe lock of a framelock is generally thicker than that of a liner or nested compression lock and generally stronger as a result. There is also no way the knife can become jammed in the open position by a foreign object caught between the scale and the lock, so some consider them more reliable. The Karambit, like the Cricket, is a liner lock style framelock. The ATR, on the other hand, would be a compression framelock.

Deacon and Mike thanks-

There is so many different locks one has a hard time knowing the difference.
It does appear that there is more material on a framelock which engages the tang to lock it open than the others but the only dis-advantage is that that like you said -" the lock is integral with a metal handle and is not covered by a scale of some other material. " That is what I was looking for! It also appears that it makes for a thin knife....looks very strong something they should use on more models!

thanks,
ken
ken
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

You're quite welcome Ken. Of course nothing is ever quite that simple and clear-cut in the real world. A framelock will often be "thickened" by adding a scale to the non-lock side and the most "robust" liner locks made will have thicker lockbars than the thinnest "framelock" slabs. So, as with most things in life, careful inspection of the goods being offered is always wise.
Paul
argyll

Post by argyll »

From past threads, I recall Sal saying Spyderco's compression lock knives are stronger than frame locks. My personal feeling is that frame locks are generally superior to (i.e. more reliable than) liner locks, which I no longer buy. Your mileage may vary.

Best regards,

Argyll
Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit -- Ovid (He who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Understood argyll, I would "guess" as a "rule of thumb" it would work something like this. Assuming all else equal, a liner lock would be the weakest, followed by the "Chris Reeve style integral lock" most often called a framelock, followed by the nested compression lock and, at the top of the chart, for want of a better term the "Sal Glesser integral compression lock" style framelock, as on the ATR. It's all relative thought, I'd trust the liner lock on my Military a LOT further than the nested compression lock on my Vesuvius, but the comparison is so apples and oranges as to be worthless.
Paul