hi all adivce please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
charlie4727

hi all adivce please

Post by charlie4727 »

hi all i think im gonna go for a spyderco for my first folder. I like the manix. What model do you guys think would be a good carry mulituse knife. Much appreciated thanks :D
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Hi charlie, welcome to the forum.

That's a loaded question around here. Am I to understand correctly that this will be you first knife? As in ever?

Most people around here will not discourage you from the Manix, as every spydernut should probably have one.

When choosing a knife, it helps to first extablish some paramaters.

What sort of tasks will you be using it for? What are laws in your area? Will a pocket tank be an issue for you? ect...
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
i.v

Post by i.v »

my first spyderco was a delica, really can't go wrong with a delica :D

but a manix really is a great start, can't go wrong with any spydie really :rolleyes: ;)
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

Start with an Endura ... It's one of the larger Spydies ..., it's FRN, and now comes in VG10 ..., then go from there. Shop carefully and you'll enjoy one in your pocket for $35 delivered. It is absolutely one my all time favorites.
Steve
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

[quote="i.v"]my first spyderco was a delica, really can't go wrong with a delica :D

but a manix really is a great start, can't go wrong with any spydie really :rolleyes: ]

Aloha and welcome Charlie!

I agree with i.v here! You cannot go wrong with a Delica, or as Stevie ray pointed out an Endura. They are sized just right for pretty much anything, and are economical.

BUT...

ghostrider has a point here also. I believe more info on how, what, when, where, etc. you will use your knife would help in choosing your first :spyder: .

God bless :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i wish i had bought a manix as my first spydie... would have saved me lots of time and effort as i searched for the ultimate all around EDC for my large hands.

one thing is for sure... if you get a manix, you never will have to worry about upgrading to a more heavy-duty spydie!
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I say

Endura
Delica---------------all can be had for under $50
calypo jr

Also get a Spyderco Sharpmaker 204. Your bill be will a little below, $100 and you can learn to take care of your tool. You arent going to buy 1 knife and judst never buy another one so, Get one of the suggested versions above and then, when you are confident that you can take care of it and keep it sharp.. Then go for the Manix or any other $100+ knife that you want.
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

Well my first "knife" was a Spyderco Native, and I loved it and still do (although I lost the darn thing in this country :( )

I think its a safe, well built knife for many situations, it was used back home at work, home and for camping.

It has a wonderful shape which sinks in your hand, its very comfy, has an awesome grip with the FRN handle and a finger choil to help you in not cutting your fingers off.
I had the Native II with CPM440

Cheers

MaNcEr
It's Time To Kick @$$ 'N Chew Bubble Gum
dialex

Post by dialex »

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum. Enjoy your stay here.
I think you made an inspired choice. The Manix is a very strong, reliable and comfortable folder. It is quite versatile, well thought and with quality materials. I am sure it will serve you well.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
spydutch

New Military(great knife) Manix cheaper?

Post by spydutch »

Just picked up my Military. What a great knife this is. It's solid, no bladeplay, scary sharp; I'm happy. One thing: the knife is very light for such a big folder. Is this knife really that strong? It doesn't feel that way.

The Manix is much heavier than the Military but at my distributer the Manix costs less than the Military who is much lighter but the same steel. Is there a reason for it?
Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

hello,
i have to agree with ghostrider about learning what your spec's are and then work from there. but as stated above you cant go wrong with any model really. the delica,endura,native,military,etc are all great. you also may want to look into a salt I if it fits your needs. but if you had your eye on a manix then i wont tell you any different. All are sound choices, and will make you proud. Let us know your decision.
GS
Say what you mean, Mean what you say! :spyder:

dePaul

Post by dePaul »

1. Endura or Delica, whichever (a must have. Classics!)
2. A small, flat ground: Callypso Jr, Lum or UK pen knife
3. A large, flat ground: Military, Manix, Lil' Temperance

~Paul~

P.S. I'd like to suggest to start with the PE versions!
aquaboy420

Post by aquaboy420 »

Hey charlie4727 welcome to the forums. I guess you can't really go wrong with the Manix, as long as it is within legal limits in your area. You may want to check out the Paramilitary and the Lil Temp since you're in the price range. If you want something more affordable without compromising quality, I would suggest a Delica, then you can get the sharpmaker. Either way, you can't lose.

-greg
fret

Post by fret »

Welcome to the :spyder: co forums. My first knife was the Delica. Can't go wrong with it. Your first :spyder: knife won't be your last :spyder: knife. I like the Calypso Jr.,Cricket, Jester, etc. too many to name. I still have my first :spyder: knife and use it everyday. No matter which :spyder: you get, you will like it. Enjoy. :)
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: heh heh, there's always the civilian :p :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Sorry for my thread. It had to be a new thread. I messed up.