NEW!!! - Spot/Swick - Pics

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RLR

NEW!!! - Spot/Swick - Pics

Post by RLR »

It is here! The concept of the new SPOT. Sal personally sent me a proto to test and share for input here, so knock yourself out. I will include a quick pic - sorry about quality, too excited to set up proper light box - and first impressions:

IMPRESSION: a winner on all counts! S30V. Sharp, SOLID, perfect grinds. Ergos better than original because of blade in line with wrist angle. The finish is great (stonewash I think) and all the insides are polished and free or burrs. Cutting? S30V Wharnie? What do you think! Great. I'll do side-by-sides a little later, with better pics, comparing to original.

Sal, a personal THANKS for a great knife and the chance to help out Spyderco. A plus is that I have a nice piece numbered 5 / 05. WOW!

PICS:
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

I think you done a nice job.
RLR

Post by RLR »

Better Pics:

Post by 999 »

MMMMMMMMM!

Any chance of in-hand pics please?
vass

Post by vass »

rlr ! look into my eyes, you are feeling sleepy, you dont want the knife, you want to give it to me, snapping my fingers, you are awake and you dont remember anything ! yes please just send it to me free off charge ! :)
RLR

In Hand

Post by RLR »

For Lefties and Righties:
Clay Kesting

Oh yes

Post by Clay Kesting »

Never quite got round to getting a Spot, something never seemed quite right about it. OTOH I'll be on to one of these in a flash, I can already see it clipped on to a rucksack strap or climbing harness.

clay
"The best boats are either small enough to carry home, or big enough to live on." Phillip C. Bolger (1927-2009)
RLR

Handle = better

Post by RLR »

The new handle is better:

1) beefier
2) thicker stock
3) the horn under the finger hole adds to grip and solidity (works in reverse grip, pinkie through hole)
4) the spine texturing is much better, not rough but grippier, and directional.

It's a great peeler - potatoes, apples, melon rinds... awesome. Paper and cardboard = awesome. Wood (shaving) = awesome.

Swick slashes as effectively as the Spot (with less hang up of tip in fibres) and now offers penetration (which the Spot lacked). The other cool use is sliding the tip under a knot, zip cord, whatever, and rocking on the spine - more effective than the Yojimbo style blade.

Can't say enough good about this one... all it needs is a sheath (with tec-loc) that can go horizontal on belt or hang vertically from gear. May work with someone on a Kydex rig...
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'm pleasantly surprised that showing pics was OK!! Very nice refinement of the SPOT. I like the finish too, I hope that can remain in production. Oh, and I want 2, one PE and SE. The blade looks like a winner, plain and simple. It should be a real crowd pleaser, for both utility oriented customers and MBC fans. I know that a wharnie is a great utility cutter, and the La Griffe origin of this design combined with the Yojimbo's success as an MBC player, should make the Swick appealing to MBC players.

Just make the kydex sheath, form fitted as opposed to injection molding, and as small and versatile as possible.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
RLR

Pics

Post by RLR »

Sal and I have discussed pics. He wants feedback to assess feasability, demand, etc... so make your comments folks, and I'll keep testing.

I would love to see this one go to production.

RLR
gabo

Post by gabo »

I am in the process of filing my SPOT into a warnie, but I think I am keeping the "beak" on the end, not as stabby, but practical for my purposes. I also dipped the handles(I have 2) in plastidip.
I like the new prototype. Might not need the plastidip. Will certainly be on by buy list.
Hapkidoin

Post by Hapkidoin »

Ive always been interested in a design like the spot, but the blade shape was not quite what I wanted. All I can say about the prototype is... WOW!!!!!!!!!!

I love the Wharncliffe married to the current handle design. Like Mr. Blond, you could count me for two. One for the wife and one for myself.
Only dragons understand dragons.
CKE

Post by CKE »

It looks off...but in the hand pic is very appealing. I hated the SPOT the first time I picked it up. After thinking about it for a few weeks/months I had to have it. I love my SPOT and think I will be very happy with the new and improved one.
The angle of the blade looks off, but in the hand it lines up correctly to what I like so it looks all good. Thanks for posting and thanks Sal for letting us see pics.
Craig
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
b-elliott

Post by b-elliott »

Just Great! More money to spend this year :rolleyes:
-------------------------------------------------------

Brent Elliott :spyder:
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

RLR

Is the finger hole in the Swick really smaller than the hole in the SPOT as it appears in the second image in your first post?

The hole in the SPOT just fits my finger, anything smaller would be unusable.

David
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

Man, I gotta start working harder. Must have more :spyder:
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I guess I would have to handle one to be sure...looks promising...I wish the blade was a tad bigger...I still like the shape design of the spot...till I handle one the jury will still be out...Doc
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Russell92

Post by Russell92 »

Looks great, now there's yet another spydie I need to have. I hope the sheath is well made and not overly bulky. Tek-loks always seem to make the sheath so much bigger and harder to conceal; I'd like to see something like a belt clip that reduces the bulk of the sheath. Also, I'd prefer an even longer blade, the closer to 3" the better IMO.
LONE WOLF

Post by LONE WOLF »

The spot didnt fit my index finger well, so I dont think I will buy this one with the smaller hole.

Post by 224477 »

Hello guys,

YUp! It seems to be wonderful, although there is a think Id like to change.
I would like the "ring" to be the same, or a rounded one, as on the SPOT, I dont like the square-like one much.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."