Spyderco Sightings (pics inside)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

tigerose123 wrote: :( Jon Lock, I would have expected better from you :( you dissapoint me :(
They were probably cutting down on production expenses by using the knock off.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

If you look at the one on page 19 of john locke you can definately tell its a spyder. looks like a total diff knife in this pages picture...
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

tigerose123 wrote: :( Jon Lock, I would have expected better from you :( you dissapoint me :(
He had a real one at the start, I guess they found out that carrying method isn't secure the hard way. :)
Blueboost

Post by Blueboost »

More caps from "Traitor"

Attachments
TraitorSP2.jpg
TraitorSP2.jpg (25.74 KiB) Viewed 7798 times
TraitorSP1.jpg
TraitorSP1.jpg (20.41 KiB) Viewed 7799 times
clint b

Post by clint b »

Gangland on the History channel the other night.
It was the episode featuring the Mongol MC gang.
The mongols had a good brawl with the hells angels.
They showed a glimpse of a bloody SS Endura laying on the ground after the fight.

Apparently the bad guys carry good blades too.
aaronchaim

Post by aaronchaim »

Senate wrote:Hannibal

I was watching <i>Hannibal</i> yesterday and--after the response I got with my last question (regarding the Endura in Strange Days)--I thought I'd venture to ask: Of what blade steel would have been this Harpy? I've only ever seen Harpies in VG-10, but then I've never seen any of this vintage; Hannibal was released in 2001 and filmed in Summer 2000. It's obviously before Spyderco started stamping the blades with their symbol. (They started doing that around, what, 2006?) So this Harpy's blade would likely have been made of what steel?
kraziekurtis

Post by kraziekurtis »

aaronchaim wrote:I was watching <i>Hannibal</i> yesterday and--after the response I got with my last question (regarding the Endura in Strange Days)--I thought I'd venture to ask: Of what blade steel would have been this Harpy? I've only ever seen Harpies in VG-10, but then I've never seen any of this vintage; Hannibal was released in 2001 and filmed in Summer 2000. It's obviously before Spyderco started stamping the blades with their symbol. (They started doing that around, what, 2006?) So this Harpy's blade would likely have been made of what steel?
Mine is ATS-55, but I'm not sure if the plain edge models were made in ATS-55. Might have been GIN-1.
:spyder:
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

aaronchaim wrote:I was watching <i>Hannibal</i> yesterday and--after the response I got with my last question (regarding the Endura in Strange Days)--I thought I'd venture to ask: Of what blade steel would have been this Harpy? I've only ever seen Harpies in VG-10, but then I've never seen any of this vintage; Hannibal was released in 2001 and filmed in Summer 2000. It's obviously before Spyderco started stamping the blades with their symbol. (They started doing that around, what, 2006?) So this Harpy's blade would likely have been made of what steel?
In 2000 thru 2001 the harpy was using ATS-55 And beginning in 2002 they started using VG-10.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The blade steel on the Harpy shown is probably rubber. It is a prop. Note there is no channel in the handle for the blade to fold into.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

yablanowitz wrote:The blade steel on the Harpy shown is probably rubber. It is a prop. Note there is no channel in the handle for the blade to fold into.
Is that the uber-rare fixed rubber blade Harpy trainer? :D

It also seems to be bending under Sir Anthony Hopkins insanely strong grip in the third picture down.
After enlightenment, the laundry.
aaronchaim

Post by aaronchaim »

yablanowitz wrote:The blade steel on the Harpy shown is probably rubber. It is a prop. Note there is no channel in the handle for the blade to fold into.
I was more specifically asking after what blade steel a Harpy would have featured back circa Hannibal [film], so I guess it's more of a question of Spydie steel history. Which beckons the question: Where can I find such info? Is there a source online, or is it more a matter of seeking a knowledgeable individual?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It's really tough to answer that question, because Spyderco tends to make rolling updates. Ted's site (http://www.spydie.nl/) has a list of all the models, with a link to the Spydiewiki project. According to it, the steel could be AUS-6, GIN-1/G-2, or ATS-55 depending on the exact year you are talking about. Even then, there are overlaps which would pretty much make it guesswork.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I could be completely wrong, but I think I may have spied the :spyder: Whale Rescue blade on NBC tonight. There weren't any good shots of the blade, but after doing a quick Google search for "whale rescue blade," I only turned up Spyderco as a manufacturer. Also, the shape seems to fit. Was it actually a :spyder: or am I just imagining things? You be the judge. Video can be seen here.
Attachments
Whale Rescue 2.jpg
Whale Rescue 2.jpg (86.36 KiB) Viewed 8275 times
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

your right jabba its very hard to tell..so who knows. but ya we'll say its a spyder :D
Its just good to see those guys actually being able to help the whales though. It would suck to see em go extinct
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Just saw the movie "the last house on the left" in theatres tonight and one of the guys had an SE endura 4 that he was using on the hostages..
Pretty good movie by the way
39 & counting...

Dodo!
Toad310

Prop Masters Delight

Post by Toad310 »

The Prop Masters seem to love the SE edge.

Also, Grips and Gaffers love Spydero's! I am a photographer and get suplies for my studio at the same places that supply all the the motion picture and TV studios and productions in H'wood.

Sometimes I will have an assignment on a hot set to shoot the principal talent, and I have always seen the grips with Spyderco's clipped to their pocket, or grip tote.

If you are in the LA area Mole-Richardson has quite a nice selection of Spyderco models on hand. They are on La Brea accross from Pink's in H'wood

I really enjoyed looking at all the posts everyone placed in this thread.

Thank you!

Toad310
Ookami

Another find!

Post by Ookami »

I just watched Stargate on telly - the 98th Episode called "2001" (Season 5/Episode 10) - and saw the character Samantha Carter use a Spyderco Mariner (or Rescue) to cut herself loose while hanging over a stargate towards the very end of the episode.

It was a very short glimpse, but the blunt-tipped, serrated blade with the opening hole was unmistakably a Spydie. Maybe someone who has the DVDs can provide a pic.

Ookami
________
Honda Cr-Z Specifications
DTOM

Post by DTOM »

There is also A Spyderco in the new remake of last house on the left. Slipping my mind right now on which model.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I spied a familiar looking hawkbill on the preview for this week's Flashpoint (airs 4/24 I believe). I couldn't find a super high-res shot of the preview, but maybe I'll find a better picture once the episode actually airs. This'll have to tide us over for now:
Attachments
Flashpoint.jpg
Flashpoint.jpg (33.37 KiB) Viewed 7951 times
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Toad310 wrote:If you are in the LA area Mole-Richardson has quite a nice selection of Spyderco models on hand. They are on La Brea accross from Pink's in H'wood
I really enjoyed looking at all the posts everyone placed in this thread.
Thank you!
Toad310
MMM... Pink's Hot Dogs. There's always a line with a half hour wait whenever I go there. Never knew about Mole-Richardson, I'll have to check it out.

jabba359 wrote:I spied a familiar looking hawkbill on the preview for this week's Flashpoint (airs 4/24 I believe). I couldn't find a super high-res shot of the preview, but maybe I'll find a better picture once the episode actually airs. This'll have to tide us over for now:
Would that be the Civilian or the Matriarch?

Thanks everyone for keeping this thread going. I like seeing Spydies in the movies and on TV.