Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ThePeacent

Re: Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Post by ThePeacent »

I'd say serrations would be better at the tip portion to further enhance the "snagging" or "grabbing" effect of hawkbill curved blades :cool:
As for steel, do you have access to H1? D2 sounds good too depending on the blade's intended usage, but it can be a pain to sharpen in comparison :o

Also, I have no doubt your blades are way higher quality and with more thought put behind them than this one :D but it is a cool new 2018 model I got my eyes on, mainly for its portability and size (as an EDC fixed blade with hawkbill design) :rolleyes:

jump to 2:33

https://youtu.be/wwgaKVOHuu8&t=1s

I also like the "hook" at the end of the handle to improve retention on hard pull cuts, the main cutting task of a fixed hawk, but I'd rather have a bigger curve (more pronounced angle) :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ceya wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:34 pm
This was quickly done but to show you 2 of the first of places serrations are
A fixed blade of that particular design would be ideal for a standard "combo-edge" IMO. Personally if you are going to a combo edge configuration then I would want the serrations at the heel of the blade rather than the tip. I've been saying for some time if they ever did a "combo-edge" Hawkbill then it would be much better with a longer blade. A Spyderhawk would be about as small as I would want to go if they were to do it in a folder.

But maybe a fixed blade is more appropriate for such an edge type. At times I've even thought the old SUPERHAWK model would have done well with a combo edge blade.

If they did offer it in combo edge I would also want the full gamut of options>> PE, SE & CE
ceya

Post by ceya »

I just gave examples , of what steels and materials can be used on the Ceya's Hawks.

The need depends on the use of the knife.

My designs are not stuck to one steel (custom made knife).

There are things that was done and not done on the Ceya's Hawk.

I had a more pronounced hook for the head but this was new territory for Ed Chavar at the time.

There were changes to the 2nd version that we never got done.

Black Cloud Knives was to do them before Ernie Mayer got sick. I stuck with getting 2 more designs out while I was in service but never happen due to being on deployment at high tempo.

Once I had David Mosier on board making my knives , we were making them.
I wanted to get the Hawk done again but designs I have not gotten made came to the front and he had gotten really famous and his log was being over flowed with work.

I listen to what is being said and take note. I do redraw with the changes with different steels and handle material.

Percent,
I will get the Hawk out and send it to you. Keep it safe.

I will not sharpen it, it was in the same condition the last member used it here.

If you want it sharpened I would have to ask Bud Nealy, his teacher. To do this for me.

I would like to hear your opinion of it first hand.

Strength and Honor,
Ceya!
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

ceya wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:37 am
I just gave examples , of what steels and materials can be used on the Ceya's Hawks.

The need depends on the use of the knife.
My designs are not stuck to one steel (custom made knife).
There are things that was done and not done on the Ceya's Hawk.
I had a more pronounced hook for the head but this was new territory for Ed Chavar at the time.
There were changes to the 2nd version that we never got done.

of course like in every good custom steel has to be chosen and Heat treated to get the best performance in the specific field of use of the knife, but I guess hawkbills are a relatively unexplored type of knife to test steels on and their applications :cool:
ceya wrote:

Black Cloud Knives was to do them before Ernie Mayer got sick. I stuck with getting 2 more designs out while I was in service but never happen due to being on deployment at high tempo.
Once I had David Mosier on board making my knives , we were making them.
I wanted to get the Hawk done again but designs I have not gotten made came to the front and he had gotten really famous and his log was being over flowed with work.

I listen to what is being said and take note. I do redraw with the changes with different steels and handle material.

first of all, thank you for your service. I have deep respect towards all military and servicemen in all countries :spyder:
Secondly, I didn't know you worked with DM! His recurved fixed blades and some of his wharnies caught my eye more than once, but as usual, they're too rich for my blood! :o
ceya wrote:

Percent,
I will get the Hawk out and send it to you. Keep it safe.
I will not sharpen it, it was in the same condition the last member used it here.
If you want it sharpened I would have to ask Bud Nealy, his teacher. To do this for me.
I would like to hear your opinion of it first hand.

Strength and Honor,
Ceya!

in this final segment I don't know if you were referring to me, and honestly I find it hard to believe! :confused:
if you truly were meaning to send it to me I don't know what to say! :eek: It would be my pleasure and I would feel honored, but you should take into consideration that I live in the EU (I would gladly cover the shipping and customs fees and taxes :) ) and that I have never had a custom piece (so valuable and unique) in my collection

if you honestly feel I would be deserving of this awesome blade and could give it some worthy use, by all means do as you please! :D
regarding sharpening, I have the Sharpmaker and some experience with recurves and hawkbills but this is definitely different and surely more complex,

so I would feel relieved having such a knowledgeable person behind the task of sharpening this beast, and would gladly send Mr.Nealy the payment for his expert services :rolleyes: and an admiration message on his Peshkabz designs :p

thanks again for reviving this thread and providing such a nice piece for testing to all those who were so lucky to get their hands on it

Have a nice day!!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey if Brother "Ceya" seriously wants to do a "pass-around" I would more than gladly pay any postage or shipping on my end and make sure it got back within 24 to 48 hours. It wouldn't take me long to assess the possibilities of this nice design. I'm just beside myself wondering what this "bad-boy" would be like in full Spyderedge and Combo edge both. I'm sure Brother Ceya more or less meant it to be mainly a plain edge but I do hope he considers the possibility of it's potential with "TEETH" :cool:

Hey if they can re-invent the light bulb then why can't we also see the potential of a great design with more edge types :cool: ??

I still say that if Sal had offered the Superhawk in SE it would still be in the line up today. Because the market for Hawkbills with teeth is a vast market indeed. That proof is most definitely already before us and just can't be argued IMO.
ceya

Post by ceya »

Peacent,

As JD stated pass around.

This is my first and by Ed, It stays with me for life.

But to send to you to see how you like it and get feed back .

JD,
Again I am open to all and yes with teeth.

Since this is your wish. Pass around will start with you.
ceya

Post by ceya »

Good news found drawing of 2nd drawing of the Hawk, with pen drawing of it as a folder.

Bad news knives are not where they were supposed to be at now.

Give me a week to search.

S/F,
Ceya!
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

ceya wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:25 pm
Good news found drawing of 2nd drawing of the Hawk, with pen drawing of it as a folder.

S/F,
Ceya!
good news anyways! The fact that you've agreed on making a Pass-around is already a win in my book, Sir :cool:

thank you and JD too for keeping this thread and hawked ideas alive!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:39 pm
ceya wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:25 pm

S/F,
Ceya!
good news anyways! The fact that you've agreed on making a Pass-around is already a win in my book, Sir :cool:

thank you and JD too for keeping this thread and hawked ideas alive!
With Spyderco truly having the vast part of the market cornered on truly functional hawkbill blades it's not hard at all to keep coming up with new possibilities for new Hawkbill designs.

With the "pass-around" idea I've always liked to do that. Back when Dr. Hannibal Lecter and Blackninja both used to frequent the forum more often we used to do "pass-arounds" often. We also did a few of them over at BF as well.

The interesting concept of Hawkbill blades is that I truly feel like we've only scratched the surface with the possibilities of what you can do with Hawkbill folders or fixed blades either one. Actually Spyderco has yet to put out a really good fixed blade Hawkbill>> but when they do I feel like it will really be a big game changer for a lot of knife users.
ceya

Post by ceya »

Found the wooden trainer made by a bud who made all of Comtech wooden trainers in the 90s.

Knife is around still looking.

Strength and Honor,
Ceya!

W. Goddard RIP!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ceya wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:54 pm
Found the wooden trainer made by a bud who made all of Comtech wooden trainers in the 90s.

Knife is around still looking.

Strength and Honor,
Ceya!

W. Goddard RIP!
CEYA!!!!! Where have you been!!??? Haven't got to chat with since last spring or summer I forget which. How's the CeYa"s HAWK going???

Yes we need to resurrect this old thread for the 400th time :D PEACENT Where are you!!!??? IT's Hawkbill time!!!! :cool: :D
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I'm here with the Tremendous Trio :D

I ain't going nowhere and have been following the new Hawks from other companies in the meantime,
but nothing compares to Spyderco yet :o
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:35 am
I'm here with the Tremendous Trio :D

I ain't going nowhere and have been following the new Hawks from other companies in the meantime,
but nothing compares to Spyderco yet :o
Tremendous Trio! Can't disagree with that description at all. I'm telling you I miss the old MERLIN model so much. I have one in VG-10 blade steel but I'm very hesitant to make a "user" out of it because I've heard that the MERLIN with VG-10 is truly a really rare version of the Merlin. But I can't tell you all how much I've wanted to use it on several occasions. The only thing I crave worse than that is my old, lost ( stolen :mad: ) G-10 Harpy.

I'm with you on that one PEACENT because I've test driven 3 Hawkbills of different manufacturers and none of them come close to a premium Spyderco Hawkbill. We currently have a thread on the possibility of a Fixed Blade HAWKBILL and I encourage you all to take a hard look at it. So far the suggestions have been for units in the size range of the SWICK and JUMPMASTER>> both would make awesome fixed blade Hawkbills IMO.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

hooks and claws are all you need,
to open packages at high speed :D

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Speaking of HOOKS>> I like the one Multi-tool that has a hook. I'm going to have to check that out. For some reason over at the "FIXED BLADE HAWKBILL thread Sal seemed to think that we were wanting a plain edged, Fixed Blade Hawkbill :eek: BLASPHEMY!!! :mad: No I don't want a plain edged Hawkbill at all anymore. Because Hawkbills and teeth truly go together like "Wine & Cheese" :cool:

The Gut Hook that was on the old IMPALA model when I had it was sometimes useful.

Instead of having an Emerson Waved Hawkbill I would rather have one with a hook that folds out from the bottom. and maybe one big enough to cut seatbelts and rope.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I'm with you JD, I have no desire for a plain edge hawkbill....it needs teeth!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:06 pm
I'm with you JD, I have no desire for a plain edge hawkbill....it needs teeth!

It's a day & night difference. Just get a PE Harpy and a standard Spyderedged Harpy and use them for at least a week. Then make a list of what you can do with each edge type on the same model of Spyderco folder. it's not even close at all. Actually the two are so far apart it's as though they are totally different models all together.

The Spyderedge and Curved blades work many times better than any curved or Hawkbill blade in PE. Again it's not even close.
agony

Post by agony »

I wish the Superhawk were re-released, but with the serrated edge instead of plain edge.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

agony wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:47 pm
I wish the Superhawk were re-released, but with the serrated edge instead of plain edge.
Yes!!! Amen!!! And Hallelujah!! I actually think that there is a good chance that the SUPERHAWK would still be in the main line up had it been made in Spyderedge. Like I've said on 3 other threads plain edged Hawkbills just don't have the capabilities that Spyderedged ( serrated ) units have.

Take the Harpy model for instance>> at least 95% of all Harpy models ever made are Spyderedged>> which is why it's still in the main line up IMO.

I've even had threads asking people what they use their plain edged Hawkbills for>> And they got very few responses. But I can sit down a make a list that would fill one page in less than an hour and then be able to start another page.