Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: hawkbills aren't that hard to sharpen, the serrated are quite easy. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
pjrocco

Post by pjrocco »

Michael Cook wrote: :spyder: hawkbills aren't that hard to sharpen, the serrated are quite easy. :spyder:
Very true. The only knife I still have a little trouble with is the Dodo.. I can get it back to factory edge, but just can't seem to get it hair popping sharp. :confused: :rolleyes:
Rock
Plowboy

Post by Plowboy »

I have not been involved in this thread, but I recently picked up a Tasman. I really like that knife. It's very different from what I'm used to because I GOT YELLOW. It's really a nice piece (even though I'm not a FRN fan).

So, after playing with the Tasman a little I decided to take a look at this thread that I'd been avoiding. I'm crazy enough that I'm trying to read all of the postings ... I just read the first 75. Some very interesting comments. As it stands now, I would certainly be interested in another hawkbill to go with my Tasman (I do own a Dodo, but as JD mentioned this may not be a true hawkbill). If I could have one designed for me at this moment it would be:

less than 3.25 inch blade
probably s30v steel
lined G10 handles in black or olive green
relaxed curve
jimping
choil for index finger
compression lock similar to Para or Lil'Temp

I know these have been mentioned in the first 75 postings, but they add up to a nice package.

For now, I'll keep playing with the Tasman and hope it has a "brother" in the works.

I will continue reading the thread and will post again. :)
If you carry either a knife or firearm, please abide by the law and be respectful. We all represent each other.

Let's unite to preserve and expand our legal rights. Please join:

KnifeRights (http://www.kniferights.org) and NRA (http://www.nra.org)

:)
Plowboy

Post by Plowboy »

Michael Cook wrote: :spyder: If carbon fiber will enough be made so that everyone who wants one will be able to order one? Or will it be a sprint run collector elitist thing? :mad: If so I say g-10 and full production run to get it into the hands of the people. :spyder:

I hear you Michael! Amen.
If you carry either a knife or firearm, please abide by the law and be respectful. We all represent each other.

Let's unite to preserve and expand our legal rights. Please join:

KnifeRights (http://www.kniferights.org) and NRA (http://www.nra.org)

:)
JD Spydo

true Hawkbill & new hawkbill

Post by JD Spydo »

No the Tasman is a true Hawkbill. But it is a "job specific" Hawkbill and not a general purpose one IMO. I just got my first one over the weekend ( I know, I'm slow :o ) . It is one in hopefully a new series of them that we will see.

Did anyone go to the SHOT SHOW and see the new Super Tanker prototype by chance?

Also has there been any more talk of maybe bringing back the Spyderhawk with a Purple G-10 Handle?

Also has anyone noticed that the Merlins are starting to jump up in price a bit on Ebay?
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

JD Spydo wrote:Did anyone go to the SHOT SHOW and see the new Super Tanker prototype by chance?
I haven't seen any pictures, and that was one of the two(Chad's is the other) that I was looking forward to seeing.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
JD Spydo

Brainstormin>> revamping established models

Post by JD Spydo »

I got a little bomb>> well OK maybe a hand grenade>> Oh Well maybe it's just an M-80~~ but what about a Tasman with a Titanium handle? What about a Harpy with Evrina? What about a Merlin with the Red Corral like they did that limited version of the Kiwi. You see guys some of this stuff is hidden in plain view :cool: . And just why didn't they make the Matriarch with a G-10 handle?

All HAWKBILLS need to be explosive is just a little bit of imagination. By the way?~~>> WHERE has DOCTOR LECTER been lately :rolleyes: ???? A reclusive mad scientist is he? Or is he working on a new HARPY handle :cool:

The sky is not even a limit on this one :eek: :spyder:
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

I'm warming up to this Titanium idea, but only for anodizing purposes. :p

I could have some fun with anodizing a Ti Tasman. If only I had the talent to do it myself :p

It's still going to be really expensive though, that's the only thing holding me back.

-Sir Winston Churchill-
JD Spydo

TI it is

Post by JD Spydo »

Yep a Titanium Tasman~~ Gee that even sounds nice and has a ring to it :cool: . Yeah I like anodized handles ;) Titanium from what I hear anodizing really well.

I also like that man made ivory>> evrina. that would make a good Harpy handle~~ but only if Doctor Lecter approves :D

IF we can bring back a newer, longer bladed Dodo like we talked about I would say that a Purple G-10 handle would be nice.

OK let's try to get a HANDLE on things shall we? :rolleyes:
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

JD Spydo wrote:OK let's try to get a HANDLE on things shall we? :rolleyes:
Seeing Deacon's Atlantic Salt, and knowing how my Ironwood Persian feels, I'm kinda starting to like wood handles as well.

Why not a wood handled Fixed Blade Hawkbill? Lignum perhaps, for water resistance.

-Sir Winston Churchill-
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Evrina is unavailable, the last was put into the Kopa. So you guys would like to see wood or titantium? that is quite a variance. :p
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

zenheretic wrote:Evrina is unavailable, the last was put into the Kopa. So you guys would like to see wood or titantium? that is quite a variance. :p
Eh, I'm agreeable to most anything tonight ;) Titanium would be fun to customize, and wood is just so versatile.

As long it's something different, I think we need some crazy handle material that's never been used before.

Heck Spyderco could make micarta out of old jeans, and that'd be cool enough for me.

-Sir Winston Churchill-
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

smcfalls13 wrote:As long it's something different, I think we need some crazy handle material that's never been used before.
:spyder: I like lignam vitae wood, it's green! :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Michael Cook wrote: :spyder: I like lignam vitae wood, it's green! :spyder:
And it's quite durable as well.

-Sir Winston Churchill-
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

Hey guys

Been EONS since Ive been around, but back I am.
Back home in sunny South Africa and all too happy to be back :)
Anyhow Im suprised to see that this topic has streched a whole 96 pages!!!
On the topic of hawkbills, just ordered a TASMAN SALT, awesome looking knife for fishing indeed.
Like the bright yellow FRN handle that it is available in, the new H1 steel sounds great as well.
With a new hawkbill, I have pretty much two favorites that I think are the pinnicle of their class.
The SS C08 Harpy and the Civilian model.
I would imaging if a new MBC rated defense hawkbill was released that you guys would be wanting to keep the "S" shaped blade of the Civilian in that it has both that wicked curved tip for slashing and the full body below if the attacked is to close for the tip to make contact.
Something like the Harpy in such a situation would not yeild nearly as much damage with the complete curve under such a situation.
I still love my 2 G10 Civilians, even is this design (which I feel is pretty dang full proof) was upped with better steel as they become available and a stronger lock such as a Compression lock (ala Gunting), then this "old design" could indeed still be of great use.
While reading the posts here I've seen talk about a large hawkbill like the SpyderHawk, is the present blade of the Civilian not large enough? (just curious, question not comment).
I know that when you can create a knife for self defense that not only has the ability's of the Civilian but looks as **** scary as it does, you have a design that cant fail.
I don't think I've seen a hawbill or any other design that sends shivers quite like the look of an opened Civvie waiting for a bite to eat.

Cheers

MaNcEr
It's Time To Kick @$$ 'N Chew Bubble Gum
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Aloha Mancer,

Brother...what is UP?!! Thought I was seeing things... :p

PLEASE...when time allows, email me will ya?

God bless and take care :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Mancer wrote:While reading the posts here I've seen talk about a large hawkbill like the SpyderHawk, is the present blade of the Civilian not large enough? (just curious, question not comment).
First off, welcome back :cool:

Second, in reference to the Super Hawk, I believe the general consensus was for a large hawkbill, designed with MBC capabilities(there is no MBC Hawk in the current lineup), but still able to be used for utility purposes as well. The Civilian, while incredibly intimidating, and exceptional at what it's designed for, wouldn't hold up to EDC tasks well...unless you're harvesting mushrooms.

I'm sure JD will have a full explanation, I missed the first 20 or 30 pages of this discussion. I chimed in somewhere around page 32 ;)

-Sir Winston Churchill-
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

Ok that makes sense, yes true the Civie would not be any good for utility use.

hey hey Chad, how goes it my friend!!
I dropped you an email on the 08th of Feb in reply to the one you sent, did you not get it or?
If not I'll type it up again :)

Good to be back and see some old faces around.

Cheers buddy (PS still have the Q model :D )

Sheldon
JD Spydo

Welcome home

Post by JD Spydo »

Well Mancer I know I never got to personally get aquainted with you but a man who likes Hawkbills is a friend of mine :) . Yes this thread is still going. It is going for one compound reason>> The PEOPLE WANT A NEW HAWKBILL~~ actually a series of them.

I have heard that you guys over in South Africa got a lot of variations of the Civilian and Matriarch that were not available here in the USA. I scored a Gray Matriarch about a year ago and I had heard that it was to be sold only in your country. Beutiful knife and gray is one of my favorite colors.

It is truly good to have a HAWKBILL Brother back in the fold. :cool: :spyder:
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

Hey JD

Well I've only seen the original SS Civie with the inlays, the common G10 Civie and the CF version, other than that I cant say that Ive seen anything that was not availabe over in the US.
I had 2 Grey Matriarch's, one I gave to a good friend who I worked with that left the country, and the 2nd (never been opened even) I was forced to sell on Ebay while in the US together with a few of my rare pieces. (financial constraints)
I still have my 2 X G10 ATS55 Civies (1 carry, 1 keep) and 1 Black Matriarch (new VG10 version)

I think the hawkbills are awesome, I get my goodies via Gideon (PERTINAX on the forum) and he is the man who organised all my rare pieces for me.
I've kinda misplaced my C08 SS Harpy on the trip back to SA (which Im about to pull my hair out over if I cant find it) but have my eyes set on the Merlin and Spyderhawk as well (just to have as many different ones as I can,lol)

Cheers n happy collecting

MaNcEr