Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
deeker

Post by deeker »

Wow, I read 64 pages over two days. My eyes hurt. :eek:

This is encouraging me to get a hawkbill to keep my Delica and Pro-Lite II company. I'm impressed with the design and imagination shown here.

Any word on when the Tasman is really due to be released? I like that size - similar to the other two.
JD Spydo

A TRUE Spyder man

Post by JD Spydo »

deeker wrote:Wow, I read 64 pages over two days. My eyes hurt. :eek:

This is encouraging me to get a hawkbill to keep my Delica and Pro-Lite II company. I'm impressed with the design and imagination shown here.

Any word on when the Tasman is really due to be released? I like that size - similar to the other two.
Well GOD bless you and yours "deeker". Thank you very much for taking the time to see what we have put together throughout the months since we have been comparing notes on Spyderco's great Hawkbill blade designs and uses. There have been a great amount of ideas, suggestions, designs, proposed innovations and just a bunch of great guys & gals comparing notes and trying to make Spyderco even a better knife company yet.

All I can say to someone like "deeker" here is "THIS MAN WANTS A NEW HAWKBILL". But that it why this thread was born. That is why this thread doesn't want to die anytime soon. But you know folks I think we have rock solid proof that there are many more good people out there like "deeker" who just want to learn more about Hawkbills and gain a thorough understanding of them. My recommendation at this time Sir would be for you to either get one of the older G-10 Handled Harpys or one of the newer Carbon Fiber ones. With that set up you will become more Hawkbill oriented and it will be an obsession you will cherish. You're on your way to that destination Sir. And a big hearty welcome to the best knife Forum on the NET. JD :spyder: O
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
madmedic

Post by madmedic »

has Sal put his two cents in on this thread yet? if not I'm really surprised. If yes, what did he have to say about this whole thing? I'm really interested in whether this thing has a chance of getting off the ground or it's all just a pipe dream.

I agree with the fact that we should show ALL of the aspects of the hawkbill blade design, but stick the SD on the end of the tape. We all know how sheeple react whenever they're confronted with the possibility of having to harm another person to defend their own lives..as asinine as it is to stick your head in the sand regarding the subject. Anyway, when you're trying to expand a market I think you should try and make the subject as warm and fuzzy as possible, even though I think we'd all need a shower afterward. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

and I too am all for the purple comp lock. but FRN or G-10 scales? G-10 for me.
how do you want to be remembered today?
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Yes, Sal has chimed in on this thread a time or two. He also once asked Dr. Snubnose what he wanted in a MBC hawkbill.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Have we talked about redesigning the blade at all?

I know that one of the ideas was to upgrade the Spyderhawk into the Endura 4 handle, and for that I can understand keeping the exact same blade, steel, size, and all, but what about the blade on the Super Tanker?

Honestly, we've long since torched the idea of getting this model made inexpensively, so at this point, we might as well go for broke. Compression lock, G-10 models are not typically the cheapest knives, but if we're also going to have the Purple FRN Sypderhawk/Endura Hybrid, than why not pull out all the stops on the Super Tanker.(My wallet is cringing in pain as I type this)

I know that most of us want a shallower curve, that's been mentioned several times. What about other aspects of the blade? Thickness? Flat grind vs. Hollow grind? Blade length? Size of the hole? What style jimping on the ramp? Etc?

Anyone want to put some opinions out on these issues?
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
BlackNinja

Post by BlackNinja »

I like Tanks. Hence a 3.5"-4" S30v, VG-10 or D2 blade 4mm thick flat grind. Comp. lock or something MBC rated. Deep purple G-10 scales, or maybe Micarta. 9/16" hole and I'm not for a more shallow curve. Kinda like the Harpy but much bigger and a traditional jimping. Maybe a Hawkbladed Chinook! ;)
Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh;
Let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones;
Let him fracture your bones and you take his life!
-Bruce Lee-
----------------------------------------------------------------

-Joe
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

I want to see:
Flat grind
S30v
G-10, grey maybe or "barney hawk" purple :D
choil
about the same size as harpy.
PE only......just kidding!
Hannibal Lecter

What?

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

Axlis wrote:PE only......just kidding!
Why just kidding about the PE only? Sounds perfect to me! :D
LOL!
--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
JD Spydo

the spice of life

Post by JD Spydo »

There is an old saying that says "variety is the spice of life". I don't know who exactly said it but I do agree with it. I must admit Doctor that I tend to lean toward plain edged Hawkbills just as you do but PLEASE!! I do have daily jobs to do in my trade that require serrated edges. The Great Spyder Factory has a few Hallmarks if you will and premium serrated edges is one of them.

I even wish you could get the Yojimbo and a couple of other famous Spyders in SE. With all due respect Doctor you can't totally ignore other markets that are already established. If you ever encounter a job which requires the sawing action that my Spyderhawk SE blade requires then you will know what I mean. But the cat is truly out of the bag and they are now a necessity in the cutlery world. Try cutting a "trumpet vine" with a plain edge. Unless it's a Cold Steel, Carbon V, Gurkha Machete you will have problems.
Hannibal Lecter

Come On Now...

My Dear J.D.:
JD Spydo wrote:There is an old saying that says "variety is the spice of life". I don't know who exactly said it but I do agree with it. I must admit Doctor that I tend to lean toward plain edged Hawkbills just as you do but PLEASE!! I do have daily jobs to do in my trade that require serrated edges. The Great Spyder Factory has a few Hallmarks if you will and premium serrated edges is one of them.
It was a joke, for heaven's sake. Most of my knives are SE]With all due respect Doctor you can't totally ignore other markets that are already established.[/QUOTE]

I don't. I make funny.

I am postulating that I somehow failed... :D

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
JD Spydo

A guilty plea

Post by JD Spydo »

I plead guilty that my brain is on a 60% capacity this morning :o . I guess I just didn't read your post thoroughly enough :o .

But it did kick up few sparks though didn't it? :D

Other than Benchmade I don't know anyone who has a serration pattern that can hold a candle to the ones the GREAT SPYDER FACTORY grinds into their blades ;) .

But on the other hand>>> I do see a necessity for both blade variations. I have also been beating the drum for combo edged Hawkbills. The very first POST I started this thread with was screaming for combo edges. There is room for all of them and a market for them as well. LONG LIVE THE HAWKBILL :cool: :spyder:
deeker

Post by deeker »

Combo edge! I'd like to see the serrations on the pointy end of the blade, where lots of cutting strength would be, and the plain edge closer to the handle.

Just a new guys' $.02. ;)
rainman

Post by rainman »

On the color purple, as funny and entertaining as the phrase "BarnyHawk" is, I have nightmares about this particular color of purple. A more "royal" purple would be the deep purple, almost midnight blue, but with a tinge of red.
I've been looking for a Barny-head, maybe from a costume, to make into a mount to put on the wall. The inscription would read "I killed barny" :D |:
I've also posted that I wouldn't be put off at all with the color gray as the/a color for hawkbills. I like the idea of a standardized hawkbill color, but worry about it also. I once posted something about having all the waved Enduras of the new stock being a new color of FRN. On further consideration, I began to worry that that color might become associated with a possibly banned waved knife. Banning the "wave" is a next logical step to be taken by the anti-self- preservation crowd. The same reasoning causes me to worry that, someday, hawkbills will become taboo. All we need for this to happen would be another 8 years of Klintonite government /end semi-off-topic rant.. :o << :Note, this shade of purple is not what I personally would like to see>> :o = Barny purple.
---Tom
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

rainman wrote:On the color purple, as funny and entertaining as the phrase "BarnyHawk" is, I have nightmares about this particular color of purple. A more "royal" purple would be the deep purple, almost midnight blue, but with a tinge of red.
I've been looking for a Barny-head, maybe from a costume, to make into a mount to put on the wall. The inscription would read "I killed barny" :D |:
I've also posted that I wouldn't be put off at all with the color gray as the/a color for hawkbills. I like the idea of a standardized hawkbill color, but worry about it also. I once posted something about having all the waved Enduras of the new stock being a new color of FRN. On further consideration, I began to worry that that color might become associated with a possibly banned waved knife. Banning the "wave" is a next logical step to be taken by the anti-self- preservation crowd. The same reasoning causes me to worry that, someday, hawkbills will become taboo. All we need for this to happen would be another 8 years of Klintonite government /end semi-off-topic rant.. :o << :Note, this shade of purple is not what I personally would like to see>> :o = Barny purple.
---Tom
Aloha rainman,

Hey bro...thanks for creeping the cr@p outta me! I got visions of Barney's head mounted on a wall, singing, "I love you, you killed me..." :eek: I just thank God I didn't say anything about TeleTubby Purple...Tinky Winky Hawk?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :eek:

God bless :p
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

[quote="deeker"]Combo edge! I'd like to see the serrations on the pointy end of the blade, where lots of cutting strength would be, and the plain edge closer to the handle.

Just a new guys' $.02. ]

Aloha and welcome deeker,

Nice...a CE guy! I say we use my "MidWay SE" pattern. Keep some PE at the tip for detail cutting (something I do with my Hbills), SE the middle portion to really get a grip on whatever material is being pulled into the cut, then PE towards the rear of the blade for detailed whittling... ;)

It works.

I believe Timberline came out with some Rescue type folders with the SE at the tip. Eventually, some maker will move it in the middle or so...my idea darn it! :D

God bless :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
rainman

Post by rainman »

DAYWALKER wrote:Aloha rainman,

Hey bro...thanks for creeping the cr@p outta me! I got visions of Barney's head mounted on a wall, singing, "I love you, you killed me..." :eek: I just thank God I didn't say anything about TeleTubby Purple...Tinky Winky Hawk?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :eek:

God bless :p
Well, sorry to have creeped you out, Daywalker ;) .
I would disable any singing function that was left in the head for fear of large holes in the wall from rounds passing through Barneys head. :D
Strawberry shortcake tunes have roughly the same effect as the above mentioned cartoons and/or creatures; call me intolerant (I do) :p .
---Tom
Hannibal Lecter

Now Gentlemen...

My Friends,
rainman wrote:I would disable any singing function that was left in the head for fear of large holes in the wall from rounds passing through Barneys head. :D
Now you're just being silly... :D LOL!

I wonder what wondrous and marvelous things might be going on in the great Spyderco factory in the R & D department right this second?

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

rainman

Post by rainman »

Hannibal Lecter wrote:My Friends,

Now you're just being silly... :D LOL!

I wonder what wondrous and marvelous things might be going on in the great Spyderco factory in the R & D department right this second?

--------
Hannibal
Well, Good Doctor, I for one, wouldn't mind some feedback from Sal. He asked what we would want as far as an ultimate hawkbill, and there have been several variations as to how this should be done. I would like to know if the progression concept is likely to happen; new Endura-4-Hawk to upgraded Spyderhawk to SuperHawk, for instance. Are we getting warm or cold, here.
Is it a choice between the above? If so, I would buy the first Tasman SE that I could find, then wait for (hopefully) the SuperHawk. I would really like the progression though.
What do you think the R+D department might be making of all this?
---Tom
Hannibal Lecter

Same Here...

[quote="rainman"]Well, Good Doctor, I for one, wouldn't mind some feedback from Sal. He asked what we would want as far as an ultimate hawkbill, and there have been several variations as to how this should be done. I would like to know if the progression concept is likely to happen]

Short answer - I don't know.

My thoughts:

Sal Glesser has actively solicited comments and ideas in this thread.

Sal Glesser does not strike me as the kind of person who would waste his time or ours doing so unless he were giving serious consideration to using said information either to a). determine potential market for such an item or b). to actually develop one.

Like you, I would love to have some definitive information concerning potential development of additional hawkbilled blades by our beloved Spyderco.

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

JD Spydo

New concepts, additional ideas?

Post by JD Spydo »

You know we here on the Forum to a large degree have really run the gamut on this thread about ideas for a new series of Hawkbills. But I feel like we are at a point to where everyone has more or less resigned themselves to think that we have exhausted our ideas. Well Poppycock!!! :mad: That is just simply not the truth :( .

This weekend I wish you guys/gals here on the Forum would do some more brainstorming about what else we might have missed concerning the Hawkbills we want to see come to fruition. We haven't really talked a lot about what all could be done to the blade itself. Like maybe a laser cut Spyder maybe? Maybe possibly a seat belt cutter for a Hawkbill out of the series that might be used by first responders.

Also I haven't heard much about whether or not a belt sheath for a Super Tanker Hawkbill would be most appropriate. I think it would be nice to include one with the knife. I know there are more ideas out there so let's try to spend this weekend doing some more brainstorming. JD :spyder: O