Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Post by Evil D »

jmh58 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:08 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:02 am
Anyone heard anything new about the Spyderhawk sprint?

GP Knives

That was an old post, I already got one :D

Haven't had much chance to use it but I've done some tweaking on it and it's a great knife. It really baffles me why it isn't a standard production knife still. I think a larger part may have to do with people just not knowing how awesome serrations are.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 5:39 pm
jmh58 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:08 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:02 am
Anyone heard anything new about the Spyderhawk sprint?

GP Knives

That was an old post, I already got one :D

Haven't had much chance to use it but I've done some tweaking on it and it's a great knife. It really baffles me why it isn't a standard production knife still. I think a larger part may have to do with people just not knowing how awesome serrations are.
I know I'm being somewhat redundant saying this but with all the posts I've heard here at Spyderville and over at Bladeforums in the past two years or so concerning how good of a work tool that the Spyderhawk ( as well as a couple of other Spyderco Hawkbills) are in the areas of landscaping, botanical along with the lawn & garden jobs I just can't hardly believe that some commercial lawn & garden catalog like A. M. Leonard or even one of their competitors hasn't added this to their tool section of their great mail order catalogs

Now I'm fully aware that the great folks at the Great Spyder Factory are really busy these days but if someone would market the Spyderhawk ( especially the SE version) in those sectors and make the pubic aware of it's great tool value I believe at least a fourth of the gardeners in the USA would end up owning one. Agressive marketing is truly the key to taking this model to a higher level and possibly having this model become a permanent model like the POLICE, ENDURA, DELICA ect.

IF the botanical sectors and fishing industries alone would realize the potential of this Hawkbill model alone they wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelves once that working people would become aware of them.
ceya

Post by ceya »

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtop ... =5&t=18545

Reviews done by Spyderco forum members.

Thanks JD Spydo for remembering me and my designs.

Been 4 years since I looked here and over 4 since I signed in.

Disabilities has been a hinder to me but I am here.

S/F,
Ceya!
Attachments
CeyaHawk000.jpg
CeyaHawk000.jpg (31.51 KiB) Viewed 4055 times
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

ceya wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:29 pm

S/F,
Ceya!

:eek: so many years hearing JD's praise for your hawk and I finally see it. Welcome back Sir and congrats on a most excellent looking (and probably performing) knife! :cool:

ETA: Ceya, it' been 12 years since the end of that thread. Where is that awesome blade right now? :o
ceya

Post by ceya »

It is in my drawer with all other of my designs.

Except the for two that were stolen by the post office in 2007.

Haven't touch it in 5 yrs.

The original maker Edward V.CHAVAR, Is no longer with us.
He passed away . He was a student of Bud Nealy

S/F,
Ceya!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ceya wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:29 pm

S/F,
Ceya!
How awesome!! and how apropos for Brother Ceya to return just in time to show us that great design he left us thinking about :cool: How in the heck could I forget you my friend>> you and the good Doctor Hannibal Lecter M.D. were two driving forces that kept this big Hawkbill thread alive :)

I launched a thread about 2 months ago trying to get people to get Spyderco to make a Hawkbill at the GOLDEN plant>> your return CEYA couldn't have come at a better time. Check that thread out if you get time.

Yeah a fixed blade Hawkbill and a newly resurrected Superhawk folder both would be great for the GOLDEN, CO plant to embark upon. :cool:
ceya

Post by ceya »

Thanks again.

Will try to design a smaller one.

I hope Dialex and Chad will chime in.

The 3 Amigos will ride again.

I'm the only one so far who had not been picked up by a company.

Maybe it can happen JD.
ceya

Post by ceya »

I will design a Ceya's Hawk 2 with all the changes that was to be done over 15 years ago.

I will reread all the old posts on this and find a maker since David Mosier is really busy.

Strength and Honor,
Ceya!
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Ceya...
Welcome back!

Chad has my one and only Boomerang...
I have no bigger pics than my avatar.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

wow this escalated quickly. Ceya's hawk comeback :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:53 am
wow this escalated quickly. Ceya's hawk comeback :cool:
I can't tell you how glad I am to have Brother "CEYA" return :cool: I've thought about his nice fixed blade Hawkbill design over the years and I also thought it would be a great one for the GOLDEN, CO plant to consider.

I do hope that Chad (Daywalker) and Doctor Hannibal Lecter M.D. both also chime in because those two guys also did a lot to catapult many of the really nice suggestions on this thread over the years. I give them two guys a lot of credit for the idea of the SUPERHAWK model that I'm sure arose from this thread and it's many suggestions over the years.

My first challenge to Brother Ceya is to see what he thinks about a fixed blade Hawkbill in Spyderedge? And I also want to thank Stuart Ackerman for his timely input as well. It is high time for a new Hawkbill folder and most definitely a new Hawkbill fixed blade. Actually in some ways it's past time ;)
ceya

Post by ceya »

Funny you ask about the Spyderedge, it was included in the original design.

It was located on the bird head of the blade. But since we wanted to keep it simple for the first knife I just put a almost sharpened edge.

Strength and Honor,
Ceya!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ceya wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:32 pm
Funny you ask about the Spyderedge, it was included in the original design.

It was located on the bird head of the blade. But since we wanted to keep it simple for the first knife I just put a almost sharpened edge.

Strength and Honor,
Ceya!
Well again my friend I can't tell you how glad I am to see you back here at Spyderville again :) And the timing is excellent because there is a revival of sorts going on with Hawkbill blades right now. We just had a very successful Sprint Run of the H-1 Spyderhawk model ( in nuclear orange no less :cool: ) We've also had some great success with two small Hawkbill folders that have been released in the past few months and I'm speaking of the Dragonfly Hawkbill and the Ladybug Hawkbill>> it's really been mind blowing how many people have latched on to those models. And mostly by people who never in the past showed much interest in Hawkbills :confused:

As far as my predilection with serrations I'll just simply say that Hawkbills and Spyderedges just flat out go great together. I have a few plain edged Hawkbill blades but I very rarely ever use one. But there isn't a week that goes by where I don't use one of my Spyderedged Hawkbill folders.

Now with your fixed blade design I most definitely would like to see it available in SE & PE both. I've got a feeling that there would be a few more jobs you could do with a plain edged, fixed blade Hawkbill. I would love to see a handle similar to the one on the original STREETBEAT model or even the handle one the original fixed blade LUM model. This would also be a great blade to test out XHP which I've had a gut feeling for some time would be excellent in Spyderedge.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I feel like the next hawkbill should be a Caribbean hawkbill. I think the handle shape would work well with it. I also love compression locks and the superhawk needs a successor.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:35 am
I feel like the next hawkbill should be a Caribbean hawkbill. I think the handle shape would work well with it. I also love compression locks and the superhawk needs a successor.
That's not a bad idea at all VASH :) Yeah I think you're on to something interesting for sure. Now as far as the SUPERHAWK needing a successor I'm not too sure where I would stand on that because actually I'm still holding out hope that we will eventually see a Sprint Run of the SUPERHAWK and hopefully have it made in GOLDEN and for sure to make it available in Spyderedge this time because I believe it being only available in plain edge is what kept it from becoming a big seller to begin with.

Because Hawkbill blades and serrations just go great together performance wise. Ask yourself this>> Would the Harpy model ever have become the icon it is had it not been available in Spyderedge? I think we all know the answer to that question.

Again I'm sure that "Ceya's Hawk" would be a worker's dream knife with a Spyderedge. But the CARIBBEAN model in a Spyderedged Hawkbill version? Bring it on!!!
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Of course it's a karambit, but I'd like to see a Ceya-ed version of the new CRKT hawkbill without this ring and with thinner stock. It would be awesome!

(jump to 2:20)

https://youtu.be/gAGe3ETCyMc
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:47 am
Of course it's a karambit, but I'd like to see a Ceya-ed version of the new CRKT hawkbill without this ring and with thinner stock. It would be awesome!

(jump to 2:20)

https://youtu.be/gAGe3ETCyMc
That's an interesting scenario for sure PEACENT but I'm not sure how you would eliminate the ring and keep the overall design in which it was intended for the uses the designer had in mind?

I'm again toying with the idea of a very thick bladed, Reverse S Spyder which would be capable of doing some demanding pull cutting jobs. I'm also leaning toward "Ceya's" idea of a rigid fixed blade Hawkbill which I believe we are highly overdue for IMO.

I'm now wonder which type of "grind" Ceya would like for his fixed blade Hawkbill?
ceya

Post by ceya »

It can go many ways, single grind like most Japanese blades, Hollow grind and Flat grind.

I prefer the original method made. Also thought about handle material etc.

G10, Micarta and a few others. Also steel options H1, Ats 34, D2 etc

Serrations can be top part as in original , also as Spyderco 40 /60 combo.

I will pull out the Ceya's Hawk tomorrow and draw on it with edge options.

S/F,
Ceya!
ceya

Post by ceya »

Placement of Spyeredge aka Serrations
Attachments
IMG_20180611_012136.jpg
IMG_20180611_012338.jpg
ceya

Post by ceya »

This was quickly done but to show you 2 of the first of places serrations are