Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:56 am
I'd be pretty disappointed if I missed out on the Spyderhawk sprint. One of my all time favorite users. I want all the back ups I can get. We need a fixed blade spyderhawk with a ring on the end.
VASH I've been shouting for a fixed blade Hawkbill for quite some time now. They could indeed modify the overall design of the Spyderhawk and truly come up with a premium version of a fixed blade Hawkbill. I'm just totally blown away that Sal himself responded to my recent thread on the General Discussion forum "Why Not A GOLDEN Made Hawkbill?".

I would highly encourage all Hawkbill fans to respond to that thread not for my sake but to actually see a Hawkbill made at the GOLDEN plant>> it would be their first and might even turn out to be their finest.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about another suggestion I saw on that thread on a possible SWICK-Hawkbill. The more I look at the SWICK model the more I'm convinced that would make a really rigid, stout fixed blade Hawkbill. I would like to see it maybe 2mm to 3mm more thicker than the conventional SWICK model>> that would make a "pull cutting pitbull" of a fixed blade Hawkbill IMO. But don't stop there because I want to hear many more suggestions about what you all think would make an ideal fixed blade Hawkbill. Hopefully GOLDEN made!!
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

hey JD, I 'll be the first to admit that the Cold Steel videos are cheesy, excessive and over-the-top marketing type of thing, :o
but I guess this could entertain you for some minutes (new video of the Tiger Claw testing, CTS-XHP Hawkbill. Imagine it with a Spyderhole, Spyderedge and the design and quality that Sal & Co bring to us with their blades. :eek:

Jump to 5:30 for cutting action, the rest are lock tests

https://youtu.be/ymB36bKWAF8

Lynn apart, Demko says how he worked as an electrician once and saw the utility and versatility of these curved blades, and how that inspired him to design this knife :spyder:

https://youtu.be/Y0Coa_c3vnA

Hopefully this is not too off-brand to put here
If so, please tell me and I'll remove it!!!
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I don't know if I like the Swick-style Spyderhawk (Swawk?) or the Karambit-style Spyderhawk (Karawk?) idea better. I'll take one of each.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Anyone heard anything new about the Spyderhawk sprint?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:02 am
Yeah the new Sprint Run Spyderhawk has been slow to make it to the market place for some strange reason :confused: especially when it has so many afis and other Hawkbill enthusiasts anxiously awaiting it's arrival and just dying to get their hands on one. I would also think that Spyderco themselves would be anxious to see how fast this Sprint Run will be sold out in order to gage what else they plan on doing in the Hawkbill sector of their great line up of knives.

I did have a friend tell me last week that a couple of the big internet knife dealers are still reserving orders with half down. But I haven't as of yet heard of anyone having physical possession of one at this time.

Actually I think the demand for the Spyderhawk is big enough now at this time they could actually put it back in full production with no problem. And I hope that's what develops.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd be in for standard production as long as it's not orange or black is an option too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:13 pm
I'd be in for standard production as long as it's not orange or black is an option too.
For Hawkbills that I actually use a lot I really tend to like the nuclear colors. They are much easier to find if lost or misplaced. I will admit that I tend to like the Nuclear Yellow and Nuclear Green better than I do the orange. But color really wouldn't deter me from buying something I know I would use.

Also I think all Hawkbills should be available in SE & PE both. It should actually be mandatory for any Hawkbill or Reverse S blade to be made in Spyderedge.

With the success that the new little HAWKBILLS have had I'm more than sure that will affect the sales of all the other Hawkbills once the end line user sees how great they perform.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

well I really like that orange

in fact I'd love if my dyed Tasman had ended up that way :o

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:10 pm

in fact I'd love if my dyed Tasman had ended up that way :o [/img]
Peacent I bet you're just like me when it comes to "nuclear colored" knife handles :cool: Actually I think most all Hawkbill blades that you work with really stand out with those nuclear colored handles. I would like to see more nuclear colored G-10 handles on upcoming, new model Spyderco Hawkbills.

The brightly colored Carbon Fiber handles like you see that the Swiss knife company "Klotzli" would be my overall top pick for Hawkbill handles.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

defenestrate wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:10 am
I don't know if I like the Swick-style Spyderhawk (Swawk?) or the Karambit-style Spyderhawk (Karawk?) idea better. I'll take one of each.
Hey Brother haven't seen you around in a while :) . But I'm in agreement to everything you're saying because I would love to see a serious fixed blade Hawkbill myself :cool:

I wouldn't even mind seeing a fixed blade Hawkbill in combo edge & Spyderedge both>> but due to the lack of popularity for plain edged Hawkbills I think I will pass on that option at this time.

By the way dude you've been around long enough to have remembered "Ceya's Hawk" :spyder: and if you don't remember I'm sure it will be easy to pull up. That was a great fixed blade Hawkbill prototype. It's not only time for a New Hawkbill but it's high time for more than one folder and one fixed blade IMO.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:19 pm
ThePeacent wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:10 pm

in fact I'd love if my dyed Tasman had ended up that way :o [/img]

The brightly colored Carbon Fiber handles like you see that the Swiss knife company "Klotzli" would be my overall top pick for Hawkbill handles.

I have some orange handled hawks but they are not serrated, or OH opening :o

and they are not high tech carbon fiber, they're very basic carbon steel :p

dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Is it too repetitive to request again a sprint Karahawk in SE H1 or PE with a steel upgrade ;) Cruwear!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

dogrunner wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:51 pm
Is it too repetitive to request again a sprint Karahawk in SE H1 or PE with a steel upgrade ;) Cruwear!
That is a quite interesting suggestion. However I have no idea as of yet how Cruwear would perform in Spyderedge. And I do believe that all of the juries are in at this point concluding that Spyderedged Hawkbills are the very best overall performers in hard use cutting jobs and yes I think that would apply to Karambits, The Karahawk and even to the newer micro-hawkbills that Spyderco has hit the market with.

I still think that XHP would make a great steel for Spyderedges and maybe that would be a good ticket for your Karahawk suggestion. Something to think about anyway :)
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I was actually thinking Cruwear for an upgraded PE version, and a separate edition in SE with any steel that works well in SE. I completely agree that an SE version in an appropriate steel would be a great option for this model.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

dogrunner wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:37 am
I was actually thinking Cruwear for an upgraded PE version, and a separate edition in SE with any steel that works well in SE. I completely agree that an SE version in an appropriate steel would be a great option for this model.
Oh heck yes!!! I would love to test drive a plain edged Hawkbill in Cruwear :cool: And I've very much wanted to test drive LC200N in Spyderedge ;)

Yeah something in the size range of the SUPERHAWK and/or SPYDERHAWK would be great models for Cruwear in PE and LC200N in SE.

I'm really encouraged that there are a growing number of people here on the forum who are recognizing the fact that there are profound performance differences in many types of blade steels when comparing plain edge to Spyderedge ( serrated)>> because they do indeed need to start having separate ratings for plain edged performance and Spyderedged ( serrated blade) performance. The two edge types are not only "apples versus oranges" in comparison but they are just two completely different species all together. Also I'm finding that very few blade steels have superior performance in both edge types. And at least people here on the forum are starting to see it clearly which does encourage me.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:54 am
Hey Brother haven't seen you around in a while :) . But I'm in agreement to everything you're saying because I would love to see a serious fixed blade Hawkbill myself :cool:

By the way dude you've been around long enough to have remembered "Ceya's Hawk" :spyder: and if you don't remember I'm sure it will be easy to pull up. That was a great fixed blade Hawkbill prototype. It's not only time for a New Hawkbill but it's high time for more than one folder and one fixed blade IMO.
I looked back and remember the thread but I don't remember what it looked like. the original picture link doesn't resolve and I'm not sure that bladeforums has an easy way to search for posts at knifeforums (I assume there's an archive but I don't remember using it)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

defenestrate wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:14 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:54 am

I looked back and remember the thread but I don't remember what it looked like. the original picture link doesn't resolve and I'm not sure that bladeforums has an easy way to search for posts at knifeforums (I assume there's an archive but I don't remember using it)
Sadly I'm wondering if Brother Ceya is still with us at this time? It seems like I remember one of the war vets here on the forum telling me some time back that he along with a few other brothers were not in good health. I hope that's wrong because I really liked Brother Ceya and his Ceya's Hawk design ( fixed blade Hawkbill with a narrow radius).

Yeah it seems like when these pictures get over 3 years old they just don't stay on the original posts for some reason :confused: But as popular as Hawkbill blades are becoming I'm sure it won't be too long before Spyderco takes on that project. I also think a fixed blade Hawkbill would be a great project for the GOLDEN, CO, USA Earth plant. Check out my GOLDEN made Hawkbill thread I launched about 50 days ago.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Evil D wrote:

GP Knives
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jmh58 wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:08 am
Evil D wrote:

GP Knives
I'm here to tell you all that GP is a great internet dealer. It's been a while since I done any business with them but I had nothing but really good luck with those guys. Also before my recent surgery I was talking to one of the guys at "New Graham" and he told me that they still had a few.

But I would act quickly because I don't look for this Spyderhawk Sprint to last longer than June at the latest.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The headquarters of blades has 27 left as of earlier today.