Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19329
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Postby JD Spydo » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:30 am

ThePeacent wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:I did see the date! Quite impressive. :D I think your persistence and dedication should count for something, hopefully you get your wish. It's rare for me to meet anyone more into Hawkbills than I am :D
JDSpydo's enthusiasm is truly admirable, and his dedication and insistence in getting new Sprints, comebacks and excellent ideas seems from out of this world.
He was one of the members in the forum that convinced me to purchase my first Spyderco, guilty of making me try Spyderedges and fall in love with them (90% of my Spydies are now SE), drew me to the world of Hawkbills (own 5 now) and finally made me sucumb to the desire and curiosity to try out a Reverse S folder, and again get hooked by them.

As much as my wallet hates him, and my future saving accounts run away in fear from his ideas for future sprint runs and new models, I have to give him credit for generating a big percentage of the Spyderco fans, followers (and addicts :D ) that exist today.

JDSpydo, thanks and hats off!!
Coming from you PEACENT my Brother I do consider that to be raw encouragement ;) If only the other Brethren would so much as give these great Hawkbill blades a fair tryout then they would also be convinced of the potential these great blades have for the everyday knife user :cool:

Hawkbills and Spyderedges truly go together like Ham & Eggs, Hot Dogs and Mustard and Surf Boards and Salt Water>> I do know one Brother that will appreciate that last one :D

Hawkbills are the premier companion blades and Spyderco's Hawkbills are the best of the best :cool:

Well PEACENT & ZROW >> a G-10 Spyderhawk just has to be on the horizon too.

User avatar
SpyderEdgeForever
Member
Posts: 6301
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:53 pm
Location: USA

Re: Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Postby SpyderEdgeForever » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:43 am

JD, you have my 100 percent full encouragement on this. I want to see a new Spyder Hawk.

Let me ask you this: Would you consider the Spyderhawk if it had an H1 or lc200N blade and FRN or G10 handle to be a survival-worth knife, or more of a special niche-use knife?

Envision this my friend and brother: Two knives: A fully serrated "Neo SpyderHawk" with lc200N steel blade, and, a Spyderco Caribbean serrated pointed folder, both of them on your person and in your pockets. A perfect combo? What do you say to that combination, Lance?

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19329
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Postby JD Spydo » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:21 am

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:JD, you have my 100 percent full encouragement on this. I want to see a new Spyder Hawk.

Let me ask you this: Would you consider the Spyderhawk if it had an H1 or lc200N blade and FRN or G10 handle to be a survival-worth knife, or more of a special niche-use knife?

Envision this my friend and brother: Two knives: A fully serrated "Neo SpyderHawk" with lc200N steel blade, and, a Spyderco Caribbean serrated pointed folder, both of them on your person and in your pockets. A perfect combo? What do you say to that combination, Lance?
You bring up some excellent stuff for serious consideration Brother SEF ;) A plaiin edged Spyderhawk in LC200N and the Spyderedged version in H-1 would be my "perfect world" scenario on that one. OH yes a G-10 handle would also factor into the "perfect world" as well.

When you say "Neo-Spyderhawk" are you talking about a revamped, modified version of the Spyderhawk we already have now?? Or are you saying that a new handle material and new blade steel would by default create a new model?? I've yet to have a Caribbean model in my hand but the pics I've seen of it really impress me and I would say "YES!" on putting those two models in your survival kit and/or bug-out bag.

Actually I view FRN and G-10 both as ideal survival type handle materials and ideal for harsh environments. Oh I think we're on the same page with just minor details to work out.

User avatar
SpyderEdgeForever
Member
Posts: 6301
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:53 pm
Location: USA

Re: Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Postby SpyderEdgeForever » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:59 pm

Yes exactly, you and I are on the "same wavelength" with this as they say. As far as the "Neo Spyderhawk" I was thinking exactly that as you pointed out: A version with the same blade lenth and dimensions, but, made with Lc200N steel and with either a FRN handle or G10 handle.

Do you like the idea of the striped color scheme for handles, like is being experimented with on the upcoming Caribbean, or, do you and others prefer more "traditional" solid single color handles?

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19329
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Postby JD Spydo » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:13 pm

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Yes exactly, you and I are on the "same wavelength" with this as they say. As far as the "Neo Spyderhawk" I was thinking exactly that as you pointed out: A version with the same blade lenth and dimensions, but, made with Lc200N steel and with either a FRN handle or G10 handle.

Do you like the idea of the striped color scheme for handles, like is being experimented with on the upcoming Caribbean, or, do you and others prefer more "traditional" solid single color handles?
I'm more liking the idea of color coding for different variants and edge types. Just like the original VG-10 Spyderhawk models SE in black FRN handle and PE in blue FRN handle>> and so forth>> you could actually use different handle materials and G-10 for instance could even different colored handles. Just a thought and suggestion because maybe Spyderco themselves even have a better idea or someone here at Spyderville might have a better idea for the different variants and so forth.

Striped color schemes is interesting the more I think about it. Remember the old SPYKER model? It had some really cool striping on it and I"m surprised they haven't done more of that. Google that SPYKER model and you all will see what I mean. I just know in my gut that the models that Spyderco already has can be as good or even better than a completely new model if they just do them completely different. I would love a G-10 or CF Harpy with color schemes similar to what Klotizli does with their great CF handles for instance. I like bright nuclear colors for hard users because it makes them easier to find if you lose or misplace them.

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 5009
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Postby ZrowsN1s » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:06 pm

Good suggestions here SEF and JD. I'm a fan of the bright colors myself.

For dark colors though, what about British Racing Green G-10? :D
I ❤ The POLICE :spyder:

crazywednesday
Member
Posts: 572
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:32 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Postby crazywednesday » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:27 pm

PM 2, spyderhawk blade, lc200n se, nuclear yellow g10 scales.

I'd buy one.

Justin
Justin

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19329
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Postby JD Spydo » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:42 am

ZrowsN1s wrote:Good suggestions here SEF and JD. I'm a fan of the bright colors myself.

For dark colors though, what about British Racing Green G-10? :D
I do like some of the dark colors. There was one of the old school Endura models that had a dark green handle and it was really classy looking. They also had a really dark red that I liked as well.

The main reason I tend to like those "nuclear" type colors like the bright yellow, bright orange and nuclear green >> and I like them for hard users because if you misplace them or GOD forbid lose them you can find them easier with those colors.

Like I said on another thread I would love to see more color coding on different variants, edge types and to differentiate Hawkbills and Reverse S blades.

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 5009
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Postby ZrowsN1s » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:58 pm

JD Spydo wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:Good suggestions here SEF and JD. I'm a fan of the bright colors myself.

For dark colors though, what about British Racing Green G-10? :D
I do like some of the dark colors. There was one of the old school Endura models that had a dark green handle and it was really classy looking. They also had a really dark red that I liked as well.

The main reason I tend to like those "nuclear" type colors like the bright yellow, bright orange and nuclear green >> and I like them for hard users because if you misplace them or GOD forbid lose them you can find them easier with those colors.

Like I said on another thread I would love to see more color coding on different variants, edge types and to differentiate Hawkbills and Reverse S blades.
Yes the color coding was what I was thinking of, we have never had a ZDP-189 blade with British Racing Green g-10 right? The ZDP Stretch was Tan G-10. A plain edge ZDP Harpy with British Racing Green G-10 would make a distinctive "First" would it not? :D
I ❤ The POLICE :spyder:

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19329
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Postby JD Spydo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:09 am

Zrow I wouldn't object to any of that you mentioned at face value because it does look good on paper ;) And please believe me because I'm not trying to deflate your enthusiasm but with some of the properties that ZDP-189 has proven in standard models to be not so good with Spyderedges I immediately want to dismiss the thought of a ZDP Hawkbill. Because Hawkbills and Spyderedges go together like Starsky & Hutch. So I would want a blade steel selection that would be apropos for a premium Spyderedge. Now if you would want do a plain edged Hawkbill with one of those ultra=hard supersteels then for sure it would be interesting.

I'm thinking along the lines of XHP is they want to explore unknown territory in the blade steel sector as a possible Spyderedge blade steel. I'm all in for an LC200N Spyderedged Hawkbill too. But we not only want this new Hawkbill to be nice to look at and a nice stat sheet as well but we also want it to be a really staunch "user" too.

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 5009
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Postby ZrowsN1s » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:13 am

I think edge type is the only place where our tastes diverge JD. I still lean towards PE for the singular reason of liking ultra smooth clean cuts. I just haven't been able to replicate that performance with Spyderedge. When it comes to "Working Edge Retention" though I would say that's where Syderedge shines. When the initial sharpness of my PE knives fades, the performance drops off quickly compared to SE. After the intial sharpness of my SE fades I can still keep cutting with the serrations pretty much indefinitely (until you wear them flat) :D .
I have a picture I took a few days ago that was supposed to be a joke about PE vs SE. Im posting from my smartphone now, when I'm back at my desk I'll post the pic, you might get a chuckle out of it.
What about Hap 40 in SE and PE?
I ❤ The POLICE :spyder:

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19329
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Postby JD Spydo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:25 am

ZrowsN1s wrote:I think edge type is the only place where our tastes diverge JD. I still lean towards PE for the singular reason of liking ultra smooth clean cuts. I just haven't been able to replicate that performance with Spyderedge. When it comes to "Working Edge Retention" though I would say that's where Syderedge shines. When the initial sharpness of my PE knives fades, the performance drops off quickly compared to SE. After the intial sharpness of my SE fades I can still keep cutting with the serrations pretty much indefinitely (until you wear them flat) :D .
I have a picture I took a few days ago that was supposed to be a joke about PE vs SE. Im posting from my smartphone now, when I'm back at my desk I'll post the pic, you might get a chuckle out of it.
What about Hap 40 in SE and PE?
OH "Zrow" don't misunderstand me>> because my main EDC is my plain edged, M390 Military model which I use about 65% to 70% of the time. But when I do find use for a Spyderedge nothing else works believe me.

Now the reason I'm so adamant about a Hawkbill having a Spyderedged blade is that it's just a proven fact that Spyderedges do work better in a pull cutting scenario with just about with any material you have to cut. Especially with fibrous materials like rope, cordage, nylon straps, seatbelts ect, ect.>> or rough materials like cardboard and similar materials.

Oh I definitely want any new model Hawkbill to be available in SE & PE both. I have several plain edged Hawkbills in my user's arsenal and I do use a couple of them on rare occasions>> but most of my work with a Hawkbill calls for the aggressive performance of the Spyderedge.

As far as blade steels I would love to see how HAP 40 would perform in Spyderedge. But the two I'm most anxious to try are XHP and LC200N>> the latter wasn't even borne yet when this thread started :D :rolleyes:

crazywednesday
Member
Posts: 572
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:32 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Postby crazywednesday » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:39 am

JD Spydo wrote: As far as blade steels I would love to see how HAP 40 would perform in Spyderedge. But the two I'm most anxious to try are XHP and LC200N>> the latter wasn't even borne yet when this thread started :D :rolleyes:
+1
Justin

dogrunner
Member
Posts: 900
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm

Re: Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Postby dogrunner » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:07 pm

I would say that this is a blast from the past, but it isn't, is it :) ? JD is nothing if not persistent, and consistent. And I support him in his quest for a nice hawkbill with one of the cool new steels. I agree with our digital friend (0s and 1s ;)) in preferring plain edge for clean cuts (I do a lot of rope cutting and need clean ends), but I don't do that with a hawkbill. What I really want (and we have talked about this before) is a karahawk in SE in something upgraded from VG10.

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19329
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Postby JD Spydo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:12 pm

crazywednesday wrote:PM 2, spyderhawk blade, lc200n se, nuclear yellow g10 scales.

I'd buy one.
OK let me get this straight>> you would buy a Hawkbill made in the same style as the PM 2 with a blade configurated the same as a Spyderhawk in the PM 2 size/scale of course with a nuclear yellow handle and G-10 handle/scales??? Well personally I can't object to that because it does have some interesting aspects to it. Especially if it's going to be made at the GOLDEN USA plant.

But with all the other requests taken in to consideration we are having many more requests with something in the size range as the Spyderhawk and not wanting anything smaller than the SUPERHAWK ( which I believe that this thread gave birth to :) )

Because in the PM 2 size range you're getting something close to the same size as the Harpy or TASMAN>> and we already have those. Even though I still long for the return of the G-10 Harpy.

But I do welcome you to the fraternity of Hawkbills CrazyWednesday :)

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 19329
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Postby JD Spydo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:16 pm

dogrunner wrote:I would say that this is a blast from the past, but it isn't, is it :) ? JD is nothing if not persistent, and consistent. And I support him in his quest for a nice hawkbill with one of the cool new steels. I agree with our digital friend (0s and 1s ;)) in preferring plain edge for clean cuts (I do a lot of rope cutting and need clean ends), but I don't do that with a hawkbill. What I really want (and we have talked about this before) is a karahawk in SE in something upgraded from VG10.
Hey Brother I've called for a Spyderedged version of the Karahawk ever since it's release. You bet I would like a Karahawk with teeth :cool:

Depending on the serration pattern has a lot to do with how smooth of cut you can get from it. Albeit I've seen extremely sharp Spyderedges make some very clean looking cuts. Because at the risk of sounding redundant Spyderedges and Hawkbills truly work well together.

crazywednesday
Member
Posts: 572
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:32 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Postby crazywednesday » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:10 pm

JD Spydo wrote:
crazywednesday wrote:PM 2, spyderhawk blade, lc200n se, nuclear yellow g10 scales.

I'd buy one.
OK let me get this straight>> you would buy a Hawkbill made in the same style as the PM 2 with a blade configurated the same as a Spyderhawk in the PM 2 size/scale of course with a nuclear yellow handle and G-10 handle/scales??? Well personally I can't object to that because it does have some interesting aspects to it. Especially if it's going to be made at the GOLDEN USA plant.

But with all the other requests taken in to consideration we are having many more requests with something in the size range as the Spyderhawk and not wanting anything smaller than the SUPERHAWK ( which I believe that this thread gave birth to :) )

Because in the PM 2 size range you're getting something close to the same size as the Harpy or TASMAN>> and we already have those. Even though I still long for the return of the G-10 Harpy.

But I do welcome you to the fraternity of Hawkbills CrazyWednesday :)
Thanks!

It looks to me that the Harpy and Tasman are quite smaller. I took a picture of a PM2 next to Tasman. Neither are even close to being in the same size category. The Spyderhawk and PM2 are almost identical in size. I would buy a Spyderhawk, but I greatly prefer the ergos of the PM2 handle shape. Everything about it just feels right. I know there are tons of FRN fans too, but Im not one of them. Its ok, but I like G10. My intent was not to derail any current request. I was just putting out what I would be interested in.

Justin
Justin

jaxonunit
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:52 pm

Re:

Postby jaxonunit » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:22 pm

VultureParade wrote:I'd love to see a hawkbill with an index finger choil.

-Bryan
I've had a Byrd "Hawkbill" on the bench for a couple weeks now. It has a finger choil and I find myself reaching for it more and more often. I think the Choil has something do with that. It's chromolly, but I figure if it corrodes, at $20, I can just click the Amazon buttons if I want a shiny one.
Tenacious Black Blade---Resilience---Persistence---Ambitious---Cara Cara 2---Hawkbill ---Manbug ---Tenacious Full SpyderEdge---Raven 2---Robin2---Matriarch 2

I'm only using black until Spyderco comes out with something darker.

User avatar
ZrowsN1s
Member
Posts: 5009
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm
Location: San Diego, California USA

Re: Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Postby ZrowsN1s » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:30 pm

Here's that pic. PE hawkbill Vs SE hawkbill (an attempt at humor) ;)
Image
I ❤ The POLICE :spyder:

crazywednesday
Member
Posts: 572
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:32 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Re:

Postby crazywednesday » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:45 pm

jaxonunit wrote:
VultureParade wrote:I'd love to see a hawkbill with an index finger choil.

-Bryan
I've had a Byrd "Hawkbill" on the bench for a couple weeks now. It has a finger choil and I find myself reaching for it more and more often. I think the Choil has something do with that.
Maybe thats part of the ergos I like so much about the PM2

Justin
Justin


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AHarbuck, Bing [Bot], blues, bulgingpockets, Enactive, erikols, Google [Bot], jacala, The Meat man, Woodpuppy and 33 guests