Sharpening serrations with Tri-Angle

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdllyons

Sharpening serrations with Tri-Angle

Post by jdllyons »

I have a Police model with a serrated blade. I have been using the Tri-Angle sharpener and have not been able to obtain what I consider a "factory" edge. What is the proper procedure to use. My instruction book got misplaced when I moved. Thanks for the help.
jdllyons

Post by jdllyons »

This is a P.S. to my original post. Thru years of wearing, my stainless handle has received numerous small scratches and abrasions. Can this be polished out with a Dremel tool with a felt wheel? Is there a protective coating that would be removed with such polishing?? Again, thanks for the info.
Tom Percy

Post by Tom Percy »

In a Topic entitled: “Scratched up handles”, Clay Kesting had this reply:
I've recently refurbished an old stainless Worker with wet and dry paper, following the instructions of the late James Mattis. I started with 240 grit and went through to 600 grit although I think 400 grit would have given a more serviceable finish. Most important part is to use a sanding block and make all the srokes with the final grit in the same direction so that there are no marks from the return strokes.

Sal also suggested the use of Scotch Brite pads. You may still be able to find the original thread I started at http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/001105.html
stu

Post by stu »

jdllyons,

Welcome to the forums. Sharpen the serrated Police using the fine (white) stones ONLY, forty-degree angle, with the corners facing each other. Remember to keep the blade perpendicular to the base and apply only enough pressure to remove metal, pulling the knife across the stones from heel to tip as if you were cutting meat. Use 20 alternating strokes per side, then repeat if neccessary.

This is from the Spyderco instructions. Alternately, it also states you can use 3 strokes on the side with the serrations for every 1 stroke on the opposite side, "this edge will have a much shorter life and will need to be sharpened with increased frequency to be maintained."

Good luck,

stu
john row

Post by john row »

ALSO use very light strokes. No need to apply pressure.
John

"I'll have the Harpy, please, and a straight, serrated Spyderco with a four-inch blade...""Anything else?""Yes. I'd like a Spyderco Civilian..."