cleaning sharpmaker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
LONE WOLF

cleaning sharpmaker

Post by LONE WOLF »

Is there any fast and less messy way to clean my sharpmaker stones?
Currently I use a rag and Old Dutch powdered cleaner. it works, but is a pain because I sharpen in my room and have to go down stairs to clean them often.
JD Spydo

No short cut

Post by JD Spydo »

I am afraid I don't have the news you want to hear. But I have found that if I give my 204 Sharpmaker a thorough cleaning it works very well. I first take the stones and soak them in hot dish washing solution ( Dawn). Then I take the stones with a stiff bristle scrub brush and really scrub them with a very coarse/harsh cleanser Like Ajax/Comet. Then I rinse them thoroughly and I take another cleanser called Bar Keeper's Friend and then take a soft bristle toothbrush and scrub them very well. They come out looking like brand new. I am not saying that my way is the only way but I have found that a thorough cleaning does make the unit work very well. However keep in mind: I only find it necessary to do this about once a month ;)

I too want to hear more suggestions. So bring them on :D
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Lansky make a 600 grit rubber eraser, grey or green in colour, just for cleaning ceramic rods...
LONE WOLF

Post by LONE WOLF »

is it okay to use a clean pencil eraser?
Balazs

Post by Balazs »

I use pencil eraser, and it works fine.
dePaul

Post by dePaul »

3M ScotchBrite and dishwasher detergent works for me :)

~Paul~
JDEE

Post by JDEE »

Similar to JD Spydo but what I have done is buy an extra pair of the coarse rods so I always have a clean pair ready to go.
Jdee
Have a Knife Day
rusticforge.com/knives Australia
dialex

Post by dialex »

I second the pencil eraser or rubber idea. It works fine for me.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Senate

Post by Senate »

water and hand soap...
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
KeithM

Post by KeithM »

Comet on a wet sponge.

You might want to consider moving your sharpening operation to the kitchen. I recall reading on one of the forums that the Sharpmaker was designed to be used at the height of the average kitchen counter. Having tried it on various tables I agree the kitchen counter is an ideal height, and it provides instant access for cleaning the rods.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
mrd74

Post by mrd74 »

I "dry clean" mine with an eraser after each use which removes the majority of the metal.When I want to really clean them I use an SOS pad which does an excellent job but I can't figure out why the metal wire in the pad doesn't embed metal into the rods,all I know is it works. :confused:
mikewww

Post by mikewww »

Some erasers have a soft half for pencil and a hard half for ink erasing. I found the hard side to work well, but the Lansky eraser is better - also, no wet work in cleaning the stones.

Mike
Easyrider

Post by Easyrider »

Comet cleaner and a green scotchbrite pad used here.
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

I'm sorry, I didn't read the whole thread but is there a point that one would get to where the stones would be ruined? Is too much cleaning as bad as not cleaning?
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

White plastic eraser
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

Steel wool pads work better than plastic-type pads like Scotchbrite. I know that doesn't make sense, it seems like the steel wool should get "sharpened" and re-clog the stones. But, as long as the steel wool is charged with detergent -- ala SOS pads -- it's the fastest way to clean the stones that I've found.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

greencobra wrote:I'm sorry, I didn't read the whole thread but is there a point that one would get to where the stones would be ruined? Is too much cleaning as bad as not cleaning?
I was sharpening a lot of M2 and D2 blades at one time, and the rod seemed to get slicker... I blasted the rod with kiln dried beach sand, very fine, and it made it as good as new.
I suggest that you are very careful if you decide to do this, and if you break the rod, I will not be held responsible :)
LONE WOLF

Post by LONE WOLF »

Thats what Ive tried. It seems to do a good job, although I still give it its daily scrubbing. very cool idea. And convenient.
LONE WOLF

Post by LONE WOLF »

Joe Talmadge wrote:Steel wool pads work better than plastic-type pads like Scotchbrite. I know that doesn't make sense, it seems like the steel wool should get "sharpened" and re-clog the stones. But, as long as the steel wool is charged with detergent -- ala SOS pads -- it's the fastest way to clean the stones that I've found.
thats what I use for the daily scrubbing.
Troll

Post by Troll »

My Mom is a dentist. So she does them in here machine for me. Come very very clean.