Yet more photos

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
UK KEN

Yet more photos

Post by UK KEN »

Hello All

A few more snaps! A question, why when I am using the same settings for all of my photos and the same light source and virtually the same position for the subject do some backgrounds come out grey and others white (they are white). :confused:

Cheers, Ken
Attachments
NEWCIVI.jpg
NEWCIVI.jpg (89.74 KiB) Viewed 2506 times
NEWCIVI5.jpg
NEWCIVI5.jpg (92.65 KiB) Viewed 2568 times
NEWCIVI3.jpg
NEWCIVI3.jpg (81.22 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
QQQQQ.jpg
QQQQQ.jpg (93.17 KiB) Viewed 2564 times
QQQQ1.jpg
QQQQ1.jpg (82 KiB) Viewed 2577 times
Senate

Post by Senate »

grey or white doesn't matter, great photos :cool: !
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

Excellent Pe Civi Pic!!!!
thenick

Post by thenick »

depend where the light is taken

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossar ... ing_01.htm

may help you solve the problem :)
.:: TheNick ::.
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

Ken,

Great pictures. I think I will just start collecting your pictures and stop buying the knives.
Senate

Post by Senate »

Gerard Breuker wrote:Ken,

Great pictures. I think I will just start collecting your pictures and stop buying the knives.
it might become a little frustrating... ;)
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
crahen

Post by crahen »

That sure would be kinder to my money trees :p

Ken - Great pictures ;) I hate people with talent :rolleyes: Makes me feel so... untalented :(
Those in the know use Spyderco.
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

I was going to say that the pictures of the SpyderQ are nicer to look at than the real deal only to discover that mine has a different handle somehow.
It is just flat instead of 3D if that makes any sense. Another SpyderSecret I wasn't aware of.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Very nice pictures of a first generation Q there Ken.
Gerard Breuker wrote:I was going to say that the pictures of the SpyderQ are nicer to look at than the real deal only to discover that mine has a different handle somehow.
It is just flat instead of 3D if that makes any sense. Another SpyderSecret I wasn't aware of.
Gerard, the knife in Ken's pictures is a very early Q. The later ones have a flat handle like the "Kona" one in the picture below, rather than the "3D" look of the early ones. They also have an additional small cross-pin to prevent the lockbar from being raised too far. You can see that in the shot below as well.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha Ken!

GREAT pics as always!!!

Paul: Didn't know that about the Q's either :o

God bless you guys :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Great pics Ken! Alway a pleasure to view them...If I ever find an idiot proof camera I might try taking some pics of my own...Doc
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Ted

Post by Ted »

UK KEN wrote:Hello All

A few more snaps! A question, why when I am using the same settings for all of my photos and the same light source and virtually the same position for the subject do some backgrounds come out grey and others white (they are white). :confused:

Cheers, Ken
Ken, the pictures were taking with automatic exposure, and that resulted in the difference. On the Civi, the blade was probably reflecting a lot of light and therefore the camere tried to compensate. Try to shift the blade in such a way that it's not reflecting so much.

The exposure on the Q was F3.5 with 1/60 (according to the exif data in the JPG)

On the Civi it's F6.7 with 1/180

That's almost 2 stops in aperture, and 1 1/2 stop in exposure time, resulting in a 3 1/2 stops difference, and that's the reason that the Civi picture is a lot darker.

You should try a manual exposure. You're camera will probably indicate how much you have over or under exposed according to it's own measurings.
I normally expose pictures with a white background 1 or 2 stops, and under expose pictures with a darker background 1 stop.

Good luck, the pictures are getting better everytime.

Ted
Ted

Post by Ted »

some more info - when doing manual exposure, set the aperture to F8, and only adjust the shutter time to get the right exposure. (assuming you have a tri-pod to deal with long shutter times).
With a high aperture number, you'll get more depth of field.
The first pic of the Q has a low aperture number and you can see that the image get's blurry at the back. If you use a higher aperture number it will be sharper.

Ted
UK KEN

Thank you!

Post by UK KEN »

Ted

I'll have to give that a try. I still have a lot to learn! ;)

Cheers, Ken
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

Deacon,

Thank you for answering my Question. Didn't notice the extra pin until you mentioned it. Still so much to learn.
jaxon

Post by jaxon »

Ken,

Those pictures.......... You should be ashamed :) . Arrrggggggghhhhhhh.

Cheers,

Jaxon
Live to Ride....Ride to Live
UK KEN

Oh no!

Post by UK KEN »

:o

Don't say that.....I'll be getting booted off the site! :(

Ken
Rob

Post by Rob »

Nice shots and nice knife!

Did you use a great zoom factor or the macro-mode on the pics with the grey background? That could also be a reason. Macro shots always need more light than normal shots. Not easy to explain (I've never been good at physics :o ), but there's plenty of info regarding that on the web.

You're improving a lot! Just an idea... Try to shoot a knife on a background other than white. These are IMO the most difficult pictures. Look around in the house and you'll be astonished what can be used as a background. Especially if your wife likes to do handicrafts :D

I found out that most knives will look better if you shoot them on a background that has much contrast to the knife. Compare the pics of the LBK and the C28PBK on my site. That pretty explains what I mean :o I have to take at least 5 or 6 pics of my knives again for that reason. My only problem is that I ran out of backgrounds...

Taking pictures of reflecting objects on a bright background often "confuses" the camera when it makes the measuring for brightness and white balance. Using a "grey card" like I mentioned in the other thread is the best way to handle the white balace issue but colored backgrounds are also a simple way to move around that problem. They also tend to give the picture more depth compared to a white sheet of paper.

At the end it all boils down to lots of experiments :D

Cheers, Rob