WD-40 on calypso jr

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nonfactor

WD-40 on calypso jr

Post by nonfactor »

Could I use WD-40 on my knife or will it ruin it? What kind of oil do you guys recommend to use?
Manifest

Post by Manifest »

WD40 is not a lubricant. For some of my knives, I use Militec-1, you can get a free sample just by emailing them. Other people have had good results with mineral oil.
davec

Post by davec »

I like Break Free or FP 10.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Well, according to its manufacturer, WD40 is, among other things, a lubricant. Certainly not the best one, at least for knives, but, a lubricant none the less. While not ideal, it should not damage FRN or micarta, so it should be safe (in that regard) to use on any Calypso Jr. On the other hand, I would not use it on any of my knives, since I use them to cut food. Then again I don't use Miltec, Break Free, Dri-Slide, or any other "hi tech" lubricants for the same reason. Call me paranoid but I trust used car dealers and politicians more than I trust chemical companies.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

I'll use it only if I have nothing else. It displaces water real good too and I use it mostly on the door hinges in my truck. And like Deacon, I don't want it in me either.

I'm using Break Free now but will switch to Militec 1 soon.
i.v

Post by i.v »

i actually use nothing but wd-40... it works just fine :p
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

FP-10 or Mili-Tec 1, mostly.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Militec-1,only thing WD40 is good for is loosening rusty bolts.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Roger Blake

Post by Roger Blake »

You should not really need anything. Why would you? J. Smith got it right. For freeing rusy parts or short term lubrication WD-40 is good. But as the volitile fuids dry it can make parts gummier and it can hold dirt and crap.
Roger Blake
hrdwrguy

Post by hrdwrguy »

I like WD40 on my frn Spydercos which need to be cleaned more often than oiled. It is thin enough that it never feels like it gums anything up but it does clean out grit and sticky tape residue, shines the blade up. And then it leaves just a little lubrication. I use it on all my knives to get tape off but usually oil the pivot with something else afterward.
Mike
Unearth

Post by Unearth »

I use Wd-40 on my Calypso Jr.
hanswurst

Post by hanswurst »

just did some roofing and wd40 takes that tar right off that blade.
for lubrication I use white lightning dry lube, just like on my bike chains.

marco
HoB

Post by HoB »

As far as I know, WD-40 is metallophilic similar to MP oils for guns. Meaning it will form a chemical bond to a metal that is of a similar strength of that of water. Because of its lower surface tension, it will hence displace water, while many oils actually might trap water underneath an oil film. But the vapor pressure of WD-40 is pretty high, so it will evaporate eventually and much faster than heavier oils. Its lubricicity is also pretty low. Should be a good treatment if you got your knife wet and don't have other means to dry it out. or even worse to get a rusted pivot going, but for maintainance, I would prefere a heavier oil like engine oil, mineral oil etc.
JDEE

Post by JDEE »

I use a lanolin based spray which has similar uses to WD-40. I find the lanolin based spray is good for keeping moisture at bay for longer and is excellent for carbon steel blades.
Jdee
Have a Knife Day
rusticforge.com/knives Australia
KeithM

Post by KeithM »

Like the others have said -- WD-40 won't hurt it. I prefer MilTec as a lubricant for the pivot. I spray a cloth with WD-40 and wipe the blade with it before putting a knife away.
Jenner 515

Post by Jenner 515 »

I actually use three different products, WD-40 if there is something that needs to be removed from the blade, adhesives and the like, or to remove moisture from the pivot and lock. Three in one oil or Balistol for more thorough maintenance when an edc gets pulled out of rotation and back to storage box for a while.
I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.