Centofante III REVIEW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fisher of Men

Centofante III REVIEW

Post by Fisher of Men »

I gotta say that I think the Centofante III is a really good knife. I would have never even considered buying it. I got it by trading a Benchmade of mine for it. I really like it. The blade length is just right for me. It’s like 3.125 inches long. The FRN handles feel almost like G-10. I think it’s because of the partial liner and also the fact that the texture is really fine to the touch.

Been carrying it for a little while now and I have only one complaint. I don’t like how the blade comes to a point above the Spyder-hole. I prefer it to be rounded there (this is however just my personal preference). The one thing I noticed right off the bat is how thin the blade is. I mean when you put it up next to a Calypso Jr and look at the spines side by side you can tell how thin the Centofante’s blade is. I think that’s why it’s a good slicer.

I also noticed (thanks to DAYWALKER) that you need to be really careful when closing this knife with one hand. If you don’t choke up on the handle a little before you unlock the blade you might find the blade sliced part of the way through your index finger. When I close this knife I make sure my index finger is sitting right under the pivot pin and then I unlock the blade. You can’t get cut like this and then you can close it the rest of the way with your fingers out of the way.

Just like DAYWALKER showed in one other thread, this thing cuts through soda cans like butter. It is also very good at slicing food, like some fruit, and ham and whatever else you want to cut. I like the fact that the blade is just a touch longer than my Calypso Jr’s blade. It is not much but it seems like an inch when you’re using it.

I’ll have some pictures up when I get back home so you can see what I mean. Right now I’m out somewhere waiting on a server process to finish.

Here are the pics:

Cheers,
Fisher of Men
Colossians 3:1-17 - rules to live by.
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Thanks fom.
It's always nice to hear someone else's feedback on a knife that I haven't taken the opportunity to use yet.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

thanks for the review, how does it carry?

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Fisher of Men

Post by Fisher of Men »

Mr Blonde wrote:thanks for the review, how does it carry?

Wouter
It's nice and low in the pocket. It will go tip up or tip down but not lefty. :)

Cheers,
Fisher of Men
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha FoM,

Nice review! I am glad that you landed a :spyder: you like!!! Will check back for them pics ya promised! :D

God bless buddy :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
Fisher of Men

Post by Fisher of Men »

Pics added as promised :)

Cheers,
Fisher of Men
JDEE

Post by JDEE »

Review appreciated. Which do you think is the better slicer of the 2 pictured. I am always of the view that a flat ground blade makes a better slicer.
Jdee
Have a Knife Day
rusticforge.com/knives Australia
Fisher of Men

Post by Fisher of Men »

JDEE wrote:Review appreciated. Which do you think is the better slicer of the 2 pictured. I am always of the view that a flat ground blade makes a better slicer.
I usually feel the same way. I however think that a different grind on a thinner blade also make a difference.

I gotta say that I would think the Calypso Jr would be a better slicer, but I think due to the thinner blade the Centofante III is. Now if the Calypso Jr had as thin of a blade it would for sure be a better slicer. I think that if you made the blade any thinner on the Calypso Jr it would be weak. :)

Cheers,
Fisher of Men
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

I can't see any pics.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
rastus

Post by rastus »

Thanks also, FOM, for the review. I've wanted the C-III to replace the Vesuvius as an EDC before the V gets really messed up. I guess I know what :spyder: I'm getting next :D
Thanks again,
---Tom
ASmitty

Been thinking...

Post by ASmitty »

I've been considering getting the Centofante for awhile and your review clinches it for me Fisher. Glad to hear that you like it and I'll let you know what I think of mine when it gets to me.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...

Post by 224477 »

FoM,

thank you for your review, I still hasitate of buying it, would like to use it ALSO for MBC, but there is a problem with the width of the blade, very thin, affraid of breaking it. But I like the whole appearance of the knife very much..
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha ALL!

ASmitty and rastus...this one was posted before, but here it is again just for you guys!

Hey Brother FoM, give this a try...ONE swipe! ;)

God bless :cool:

PS: So...how ya been 224477?
Attachments
cento3.jpg
cento3.jpg (35.67 KiB) Viewed 5025 times
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

i had num 103...i miss it, though in the end, i got a mouse outta the trade
rastus

C-III review

Post by rastus »

I picked one up today for $55.00+tx. I payed for the fact that I didn't order it from NGK, but had it in my hand today. This is the first :spyder: I've ever owned that isn't at least partly serrated. I like it as much as I like my Vesuvius (a lot), and it's quicker (for me, at least) to close.
For work I need a serrated blade, at least 50/50. So I guess I set myself up to buy another :spyder: ... :) Funny how that works. With all this discussion of the Spyderhawk, I'm thinking of tracking one down, but I've always loved the Endura. How to choose....hmmm......if I get both, I don't have to choose.......Help!!! :eek: My :spyder: addiction is out of remission big time (like there is any such thing as remission; once a :spyder: addict......) :o
---Tom

PS. What is the "bug" made of?
Zrexxer

Post by Zrexxer »

rastus wrote:PS. What is the "bug" made of?
Palladium Silver.
rastus

Post by rastus »

Zrexxer wrote:Palladium Silver.
Wow, thanks. Is that like really good silver (purity), or like cubic zirconia in diamond lingo? :D
---Tom
This is kind of wierd, check out Palladium Silver
David Lowry

Post by David Lowry »

The Centofante III is a really good knife.

I thought I'd bring one more of my old ones back up ;)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Nice review David...I have the Centofante III and The Vesuvius...And I love both of them...great knives and you can't beat the prices on these slicers....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
BBRex

Post by BBRex »

I've been going back and forth on getting either a Caly Jr or a CIII, and I think the CIII is gonna win out. It just looks nicer, and since I'll be using it at the office and at school, I think that's the clincher. Thanks for the great review and pics.