Want to own some older Spyderco's

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
blade5

Post by blade5 »

I don't post very often, because it's more interesting to read what other members think, but let it be known, I'm PROUD to be a member of the GOOD OL BOYS CLUB! :spyder:
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

People, this is a hot topic and there's a very, very fine line here.

Without "outing" anyone, I have noticed what I consider an advertisment in some posts recently. No one has complained about that.

I guess my point is, rules are rules. They're for everybody to follow, right? It doesn't matter if your a mega posted veteran or a 3 post newbie, well liked or barely tolerated.

My friends, I thought long and hard before I decided to write this. The reason being is fear of being flamed by members who I respect for their Spyderco expertse, the reason I'm here in the first place.

I also see an us (old timers) vs. them (newbies) attitude brewing. Just this past week some comments were made regarding that topic and I was suprised who I saw climb on that bandwagon. :confused: Yes, I do agree there are some morons who come to incite and get us to bicker but if they are ignored they'll soon go away. The rest of us are here for the long haul.

Sometimes when I come in to the forums here, I think I'm in W&C over at the other board.

Thanks for reading, no bad karma intended.

John
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

We are all guests, and as I see it, it is up to the moderators to enforce guidelines and such. The trouble is, I don't see much moderation. I like the fact that this forum's moderator doesn't have to get involved much, it keeps the atmosphere nice and open. Lately though, and certainly in this case, I feel moderators should step in more quickly and decided whether or not posts are -not so well- disguised ads (IMO that includes promoting your own ebay sale!).

I am a guest and a fan. As a fan and guest I would hate these forums to deteriorate into a large buyers and sellers forum, it wouldn't be much fun to visit. Apart from the whole liability issue. As a guest, I eagerly await the moderator's "judgement" in this case.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

Aaron

The difference between you and Nicky is that he didn't come back to argue over and over that he had done nothing wrong. You're the only one who's making this and "Oldtimer" versus "Newbie" issue. I can only assume that you're attacking me to distract everyone from what started this in the first place - you knowingly violating the Forum guidelines.

I won't post again in this thread. I'll leave it to the moderators to have the final say.

David
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
Senate

Post by Senate »

greencobra wrote: Without "outing" anyone, I have noticed what I consider an advertisment in some posts recently. No one has complained about that.
John
John, I see what you mean (or I think ]so right[/B]...

I was thinking that maybe we need 1 or 2 more members with moderator rights, because Carlos is doing a good job but he can't be here 24/7 to close that kind of thread and warn people of what they're doing wrong.
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

May i remind the fact that some people in here like to reïncarnate once in a while under a different "nick". If we only judge people inhere by the amount of posts they make it might be possible to talk to an old timer who "for personal" reasons decided to appear under a new "nick". Most will recognise these old timers in a very short notice due to their writting style and eloquence ;)

There are also people who take great pride in the amount they posted and they should receive at least some "respect" from newbie's for beeing on this forum for years.

Carlos, Sal and Joyce have always been able to keep the forum clean, mostly because the :spyder: forum didn't NEED close attention.

Most posters inhere are stabile grownups who have grown a resistance toward "youthly enthousiasm", and will let the fire burn out, or will take action themself should it burn out of control :rolleyes:

I think their should be no debate on wether :spyder: allows trading or selling knives on the forum. From a legal vieuwpoint this is understandable.

I think the use of the PM is a way to surpass the :spyder: law.

I really don't think Sal minds forumites to exchange knives in private, but the :spyder: law is strict and simple. NO OPENLY SELLING OR TRADING ANY KNIVES !

So if a newbie, out of ignorance posts a FT/FS let's be polite and explain them the rules. It's boring work and always the same but that's how the story goes.

We govern ourself or we let other people govern us, untill now it has been able, although sometimes difficult, to keep this a "self governing" forum. I would like it that way.

The problem with authority is that power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolute. Having Moderator power is a very hard burden to carry, because you have to defend the common idea and not your personal believes!
Some Moderators in other forum have used their power for themself instead for the community.

We have seen the "coup d'etat" on SDF and we all know how some of our most trusted members where messed up in.....

I wouldn't like this to happen in here.

So let us refrain ourself from meaningless discussions about wether or not selling or trading is allowed.

Tom from NGK has recently joined our forum and seemingly without effort was accepted as a fellow forumite.

If Tom get's PM from members about their products i guess it is not our bussiness.

But Kwak did step out of line by beeing persistent about selling his product, and some members "fed" kwak by replying openly in the forum.

Next time be smart, point the guy to the disclaimer and send him an PM/email! :rolleyes:

Sorry for my monologue, but their seem to be way to much bad vibes the last days.

PACEM
決してあきらめてはいけない
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

How about an ongoing thread "Spyderco's i wish i had?"
Mine are all new ones so i don't need to post such a thread but it would solve the problem. ;)
決してあきらめてはいけない
mikewww

Pm ????????????????????

Post by mikewww »

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "PM" ? This has been mentioned quite a few times in this thread. I understand that it is a form of communication, but what is it ?

Thanks

Mike
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

click on the name of the person who made the post, there appears a small menu ,where you will find send Private Message or send email to the member. if you click on it either a small messanger type box appears or the emailadress of that person is displayed so you can send him regular email.

greetz
決してあきらめてはいけない
mikewww

Pm ????????????

Post by mikewww »

Thanks, Yojimbo. Never noticed that before ! This Forum thing is maze of neat little tricks !

Ciao

Mike
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

mikewww wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "PM" ? This has been mentioned quite a few times in this thread. I understand that it is a form of communication, but what is it ?

Thanks

Mike
Private Message
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

If you are very nice we will explain the exploding keyboard from a distance trick! shhhhhttttt :p

We do have a secret "spyderweb", but it is on invitation only, sorry :(

There we discuss and decide on the new designs, get them shipped at our home, test them and carry the new knives for a while and send it back with feedback.

I can't disclose much about Area 52 , but if you look at the picture of the :spyder: factory the entrance is in the building on the left.

Most of the plant is below the earth you see behind and under the so called "knife factory". There are also deep tunnels blasted into the mountains.

Their they design and fabricate a lot of stuff and knives are just one of them!

It's also the training ground for the "spydermen" deep cover infiltration and elimination team, but that is another subject.

Is that your doorbell i hear ringing? byebye :D
決してあきらめてはいけない
kwak

Post by kwak »

I am amazed how much was talked about my post regarding the Dyad's.
It has never been my intention to make a quick buck here, believe me in this.
As said, i am a collector just as most folks here and i wasnt aware of the possibility to send someone a personal message, but then again i also did not know who was interested in these old spydies.
This is also the big problem;how do you know whom to contact as it isn't through this forum.
In the future i shall refrain ( i hope this is the correct word for it) myself from using this forum to sell anything in public, just as the rules say (in honesty, i had never read these)
Although i am reasonably new here, i mean in posting, i have read my share in this and other forums, and i know my way around knives and sharpening them.
I plan on reading and enjoying this forum in the future, who knows maybe even contribute to it, and i hope that everyone who reads my last post about this topic understands that i am not out to heat debates up over a trivial thing as selling knives. :cool:
For mark; use this mailadress r.gunther@knivesandtoolsonline
mikewww

Post by mikewww »

It seems to me that a "legal" way would be to start a Wish List thread and list the :spyder: s you "wish" you had. Supplier could then PM you with what he had on offer. No trading has occurred. No? Of course, this could lead to a "I wish I could get rid of..." thread !

Mike
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

Somehow I forsee the "I wish I had received" and the "I am unhappy with" thread. I don't want the forum to go that way but it is not for me to decide what will still be allowed. Maybe the rules should be made a little more specific.
UK KEN

Easy solution!

Post by UK KEN »

Hello All

I’m sure that the Spyderco team have enough on their plate with the normal running of the company and this site without introducing more admin work.

I have an easy solution! My web site has a section (CORKBOARD) designed exactly for the purpose of posting “wanted” and “knives for sale” notices!

Please feel free to use it at any time. It is free! ;)

Problem solved! :D

Ken
dialex

Post by dialex »

I think we have a communication problem here. I think you can find many "heretic" posts that could be considered "concealed ads". Imagine I post a topic intitled "Lucky find" or something. And I'll tell you that I got myself a brand new micarta Dyad from... What a great customer service and everything. And guess what, they still have a few left, and they also have... you got the big picture. It could be a harmless post or it could be a masked ad, right?
Now I don't try to convince you to elude Forums regulations, I just wanted to show that there is a more elegant way to cope with certain issues here. I am sure Robert broke the rules by accident, not on purpose and should he was aware of this, he would definitely avoid all the trouble from the very start.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

i seem to be the first to post one there! Well someoe has to be first! :)
決してあきらめてはいけない
Nicky

Post by Nicky »

Sorry for the little joke... Next time I will not say a thing... ;)
The social revolution is now a fact. As I've discover, I'm a proteiform. The only question that remain unclear is; Who are you?