Another EDC question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
coffeeman

Another EDC question

Post by coffeeman »

This subject has been addressed many times, but here is a new slant.
Does your choice of EDC tie into your work or is it mostly for pleasure. For my work as a sales person for a coffee company, I mostly use a super-knife(folding razor blade). Just in case I put it down somewhere I always have at least one other knife. One that I always have is my Swiss-tech Utili-key. I also alternate between my Military and ATRss for those special occasions that you might need a larger more sturdy blade.

What about some of you????
Special thanks to Bill W. for all of his inspiration and guidance.

Do you know Bill ?

One :spyder: for all and all :spyder: forum one!
CKE

Post by CKE »

For work I carry a SS PE Dragonfly. It takes a lot of abuse and is easy to clean as I work in a dirty old machine shop. Everywhere else I carry a Yojimbo and Strider AR lately.
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

I carry two knives at work
a sheeple friendly SAK recruit or #6 Opinel, for most of the work done in front of customers
and my faithful Endura....for pleasure if you will.
at school and free time, it's all about Spyderco
so yeah, I guess you could say my work dictates what knife I'll use.

-Dean
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Well, if it's a day where the need might arise to cut the string on a box of bakery goodies in front of a roomful of "end users", I will make sure I'm carrying something suitable for the occasion, either a C27 Horn or one of my Kiwis. Thankfully for both my stress levels and my waistline, a day like that only comes up once every couple of months. The rest of the time at work, for the past five months anyway, I usually carry a Stretch. The less timid of my colleagues have gotten use to it, and the others have learned how to reached their cubicles without passing mine. Weekends I do carry a wider variety, but its either the Stretch yet again, or a customized Schempp Persian that find their way into my pocket most often.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JDEE

Post by JDEE »

Work (ie the shop, workshop, markets & farm) dictates what I carry. I nearly always carry:

1. A Delica or Calypso Jr (the latter is my "dress" knife);
2. A ParaMilitary or Blackhawk; and
3. When required (usually the farm) a Moran FB01 or Blackjack slick replaces (2) above.

NB. When on the road (lonely bush roads) I replace (2) with Buck MiniStrider SP.
Jdee
Have a Knife Day
rusticforge.com/knives Australia
Rob

Post by Rob »

Well, right now am a student and part-time worker to fund the education. My job is to do the nightshifts in a youth hostel and one of the few good things about it is, that I am doing these shifts all alone so I can carry whatever I like (starting with a useful can of OC :D ).

I've been now carrying my Manix for a little more than 5 months - no matter if I it was at work, at the uni or in my spare time :)

No one ever said a word about my EDC at work except a colleague who cought me slicing some boxes for the litter in the morning. Actually she didn't say anything either, just looked like... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Cheers, Rob
Fisher of Men

Post by Fisher of Men »

Since I work in a Hospital and have cube area in the IT Department, I can't really carry anything large. I carry a Grey FRN Calypso Jr in my right pocket. Not clipped just in my pocket. I also have a Swiss Army that stays in my glove box but sometimes makes it to my desk in the other pocket. Funny thing is that a Calypso Jr is not that big....yet almost everyone I work with who have seen me cut something with it freaks out. Like they back up and say something like "whoa...whatcha carrying that for?" I then say "It's just a knife. Relax man. Why do you people freak out about a pocket knife? Never seen one before?" :)
Colossians 3:1-17 - rules to live by.
twizted

Post by twizted »

I carry my MANIX at work, Military police, and during the weekend I carry my MANIX everywhere. The other knife I carry is an opinel.
fret

Post by fret »

For work or play I carry a Cricket FRN and Delica FRN. Both are useful for both duties. My Cricket gets the most "workout" tho. Really handy knife for me. :D
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I'm an academic, so my need to use a knife to perform work-related tasks is almost negligible; however, on those rare occasions when I do require one, I pull a clipless Spur from my pants pocket so as not to upset any colleague who may see it. I also carry either a Para-military or a ATR SS that no one at the office ever sees in an inside jacket pocket. This I do for the peace of mind that comes with knowing that I could undertake a task requiring "more knife" if it ever became necessary to do so :D . It has yet to become necessary in the office environment.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i work in a really fast-paced restaurant/coffee shop, doing everything from line cooking, to food prep, to selling coffee beans, to unloading boxes... sometimes i have to cut around wet stuff, and i don't always have time to clean my blade... so i usually carry my pacific salt SE. it also serves as a covenient pocket chainsaw capable of cutting frozen foods that the kitchen knives can't cut.

i also usually carry my merlin at work... the hawkbill shape is perfect for cutting open bags of coffee.

i've been carrying my manix at work, too... despite its non-knife-people-unfriendly hugeness. i mostly usely use it to cut up big boxes, newspapers, plastic ties... but every other day there's something unusual for it to deal with. the other day, we needed to open up a very large, commercial-grade can of roasted red peppers, and we couldn't find a can opener... manix did the job in a jiffy, and NOT A SCRATCH was left on the blade!!!!

sometimes the meerkat comes along to work, as well... when i clip it into my change pocket, it's like it's not even there!

what i carry after work depends upon my mood, and what i'm doing.

lately, around the house and on the move, it's been the manix.

when i go into the city... i usually carry two SD knives... my merlin clipped inside the waist of my jeans, and my scorpius clipped in my right rear pocket. i also carry some kind of gentlemanly folder clipped in my front right pocket, which handles most/all cutting tasks i encounter... and sometimes i'll carry the meerkat as well. i carry small blades in the city, because philadelphia police officers can be REALLY tough/corrupted/angry/insane.

when i'm walking in the countryside late at night, i carry my MANIX clipped front right, and either the matriarch or a razor-sharp PE atlantic salt clipped right rear. sometimes the merlin is clipped inside the waist of my jeans. sometimes the meerkat rides along, clipped in my change pocket.

manix and meerkat are the most frequently carried of my knives.

wish there were more knives in H1 steel, in different sizes and shapes... especially hawkbill. i'd buy them and carry them all the time. merlin in H1 steel, native in H1 steel, dragonfly in fully flat ground H1 steel... droooool...
jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

For about the last 13 years I have had a Browning in my lunchpail that is my "regular lunchroom cutlery" as the battered/abused knives in the kitchen leave alot to be desired. Also carry a small leatherman and a good knife such as Stretch, millie, or sebbie for cutting fruit and taking out to the "units" to cut matting to catch oil drippings. The matting is a great cutting test for most knives as it tends to dull most very quickly. The good knives handle it with ease.
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Actually, my choice if EDC does somewhat tie into work.

I carry a fully serated blade of some sort just for emergency purposes. My job sometimes involves long days on the road and the Rescue Jr. is there in case the need may arise. If I didn't have this sort of job I don't know if I would carry a SE blade as opposed to a CE blade.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
gordonk

Post by gordonk »

I work in a software development company ( R&D/QA). I usually carry several. Most used - Spyderco FRN Delica, BM Mini Ambush, Ka-Bar/Dozier Folding Hunter (for the last little while). Camillus Heat for the "Big Stuff", SAK Traveller - because :D My CRKT M16-03K gets a pretty regular ride as well. With all the folders I own, these, interestingly enough are with me the most - The Heat probably gets used the least over the long haul, but it's light enough that I can carry it all the time. Each one actually gets used several times during the week. Weekends can be very different. Now....today or tomorrow, I should be taking delivery of an Endura and Becker Necker, so the big decision will be who gets left out :rolleyes: But then again, the Endura isn't going to add too much pocket weight anyway :D

- gord
Hannibal Lecter

Somewhat

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My SAK is used frequently for my work in the IT/IS Department of a large telecommunications firm, cutting/stripping cables, opening up PC cases, etc.

The Harpy and Civilian that I EDC are purely for my enjoyment. No one at work screws with me about my blades or has any reason to. They do consider me eccentric, as might be anticipated. ;)

The Spyderfly, however, did raise a few eyebrows. Big-time. :p

They got over it. :cool:

---
Ta,

Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

when I was working, I was cutting 1/8"-1/2" rope, cable ties, 8-22oz tarp material, tape, cardboard...

My more or less permanent EDC is the FRN/SE Endura... ss/se cricket was rotated, ce millie was rotated... They didn't like my fixed blades but never really said anything about it.

The last 5 months I've been off work, the last 2 months I've been doing 2hrs a day at work on light duty and should be going up to 4hrs this week.
When I'm working inside I end up on the cutting table, doing specials. 10-22oz fabric, 1/8" rope, and tape...
Rather than hunt for one of the olfa's, I find my lil temp does it quite well.

My EDC choices depend on both what I'm wearing and what my plans for the day are. Lil Temp doesn't like to let go of khakis for example, and it's already eaten a pocket in one of my pairs of jeans. SS Police is too slick to stay in the pocket of my khakis...
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Tank

Post by Tank »

Since Christmas my EDC for work and play is the ATR ss SE. The rotation for the back up is Delica SE, Salsa black Alum PE and Calypso Jr. Gry FNR PE or a Kiwi. If I know I'm going to be doing alot of cutting or yardwork or something like that Use my resurected Endura 50/50.. Not to worried if something happens to that one.

Once summer hits and Shorts are the everyday play wear.. Ill probably drop the ATR from the play rotation just cuz its kinda heavy for short.
-John
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

Fisher of Men wrote:Funny thing is that a Calypso Jr is not that big....yet almost everyone I work with who have seen me cut something with it freaks out. Like they back up and say something like "whoa...whatcha carrying that for?" I then say "It's just a knife. Relax man. Why do you people freak out about a pocket knife? Never seen one before?" :)
This happen to me when I used my Grey Caly to open a bag of frozen veggie's for a woman's lunch. I'm aiming at the walker or a custom kopa for something more office friendly.
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
chux

Post by chux »

Though I have started to change edc more regularly the current work set is;

Leatherman Micra on drug locker keys
Leatherman Charge Ti on belt as of yesterday replacing my Kick
SS Dragonfly in labcoat pocket
Paramillie for the bigger jobs

Out of work I am tending to carry the Paramillie or UKPK depending on where I am.
Byrði betri ber-at maður brautu að en sé manvit mikið.