Civilian and Buck 119

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Raus06

Civilian and Buck 119

Post by Raus06 »

Hi all. I have a few general inquiries. Living in Canada, where, if anywhere, is it possible to purchase a Spyderco Civilian, excluding Canadian internet retailers. More specificially, I would prefer one that is brand new, and that does not have the grips with the spider and web motif... Plain black or grey is preferable. Could a Canadian tell me approximately how much I have to save before I can own one? :) Any response is much appreciated. Also, I know it is not the most impressive or expensive blade, but what do you think of the Buck model 119? Maybe some owners could let me know their thoughts.
Thanks in advance.
P.S, I just recently had my serrated vg-10 police, thrown out by an angry mother, who was not happy to have found it sitting on her kitchen table. That really sucks, and I need another big folder soon, to satisfy my craving of opening spydies while I watch t.v. :) The harpy just isn't cutting it.
CKE

Post by CKE »

Threw out a POLICE :eek: **** that is pain. Sorry to hear. By the way Welcome to the Forum.
As per the Buck, I am sure it would be a good knife. Buck is a quality product. I don't have one though so can't say for sure.
The Civilian...go with a Canadian dealer...TRUST ME! It would never get past Customs. Ordering over the Net is too risky of late and it would for sure get confiscated at the Border.
We can not trade or sell here on this Forum but for Canadian retailers you could try S&R Knives(out ot Toronto) or knifezone.ca on the web. You will need to save up ball park 250-300 bucks Cdn. It is a pricey Spyderco.
When you get the Civilian don't leave it on the kitchen table eh :D Take Care!!!
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
gadfly

Post by gadfly »

Be aware that the Civilian is a provacativly designed knife that is only good for defensive work. In fact if you try to use it as a normal knife, you'll void the warranty.
One way or the other, you pay for your tools!
HoB

Post by HoB »

Buck 119 is certainly a classic, but from a very objective perspective. The handle is to short for my hands at least and the handle material is too slippery. The advantage though is, that the handle can be ground easily with a dremel for customization. The combination of thick spine and hollow grind doesn't really make for the most useful bladeshape either. The biggest turn-off for me though is the blade steel. My opinion of 420HC has been in free fall for a time now. I guess I have just been spoiled by my Spydies.
goke

Post by goke »

if the civilian has an adjustable pivot, go ahead and order one from a place like newgraham in the US, they will tighten up pivots for us poor, unfortunate canadians.
Raus06

Post by Raus06 »

What difference does it make whether or not the pivots are adjustable? Should it not come tightened regardless of where I buy it from? And also, I realize the design is a "provocative" one, and that it is not a knife intended for chopping wood or meat cleaving :) . However, I have heard many people on these forums talk about how dangerous it is? Might I ask why? Could you maybe post some literature of some kind stipulating this particular knife's dangerousness or proper method of use that makes it so dangerous (I am aware all knives are dangerous.) Also, I have decided to buy from Knifezone.ca, so thanks for the advice. Their price seems reasonable. Thanks again.
P.S: I apologize for the excessive use of the word dangerous.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

If Knifezone's prices for :spyder: s are as indicated on their website :eek: , then they're outrageous, but suit yourself :D .
LONE WOLF

Post by LONE WOLF »

Its extremely dangerous against an advasary due to its large and curved blade. the blade is paper thin so it will go through anything with ease. it is a little delicate for my tastes, though.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Pardon me Raus06, but have to ask, since on this side of the border, as a general rule, anyone who is still having their toys thrown out by mommy is probably too young to purchase any knife. How old are you?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
CKE

Post by CKE »

Mariner, I have dealt with knifezona.ca and find their prices decent for Canadian standards. The alternative is an expensive loss at the Border :)
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
death-bringah

Post by death-bringah »

I wonder if mom REALLY threw out that Police? :rolleyes:

While it does not appear in the online catalogue, the last time I was in the Mississauga Le Baron, they had a Civillian in stock.

http://www.lebaron.ca/english/thestores.htm

Or ask these guys to get you 1:

http://www.srknives.com/request.html

Good luck!
jsholli

Post by jsholli »

Raus06 wrote:What difference does it make whether or not the pivots are adjustable? Should it not come tightened regardless of where I buy it from? And also, I realize the design is a "provocative" one, and that it is not a knife intended for chopping wood or meat cleaving :) . However, I have heard many people on these forums talk about how dangerous it is? Might I ask why? Could you maybe post some literature of some kind stipulating this particular knife's dangerousness or proper method of use that makes it so dangerous (I am aware all knives are dangerous.) Also, I have decided to buy from Knifezone.ca, so thanks for the advice. Their price seems reasonable. Thanks again.
P.S: I apologize for the excessive use of the word dangerous.

pivot: No, most knives are adjusted from the Co. for maximum ease of opening/closing with minimum horizontal blade play...using torque specifications probably. These guys are talking about having someone further tighten the screws to the point of restricting any inertia openings, now matter how experienced the customs official is that does the "inspection."

Level of danger: No real hate mail for the civi is widely circulated that I'm aware of, but in each civi's pack usually is a little piece of literature outlining its intended purpose. I'm currently at work, so I can't post a pic of this article, but it says that the civi is for self defense applications only, under enforcement of voiding the warrenty if used for utility applications...

To give you a mental pic of why folks revere this blade as a lethal weapon...other than the 3.5" blade-length law...imagine a scythe (grim reaper's thing--also used to glean whole grains) in the form of a high quality razor that is 4" long. This knife can be opened like most spydies, using a flick, after drawn from one's pocket--or dedicated neck sheath. Faster than any switchblade that I'm aware of w/o a spydie-clip, and designed to inflict extreme damage to the user's lifesaving advantage. It is used "to extricate" plainclothes law enforcement officers (leo's) from threatening situations.
[INDENT]---this is why so many refer to the civi as a magnificent achievement in craftmanship and design.[/INDENT]
[CENTER]People are contagious by nature---actions & attitudes seem to spread the fastest of all -jh[/CENTER]
Raus06

Post by Raus06 »

I should have been more clear. It was my friend's mom, who is insane, and who believes her son is a criminal. He is 21, and I am 19 if you must know Deacon you smart-***. I was merely sharing a story, my intention was not to invite criticism or have my age questioned. I also don't own many Spydercos or know very much about them, but the ones I do have I love. I have been to Le Baron recently but I don't remember seeing a Civi, that is where I bought my Harpy... That was my first Spyderco. My friend has since paid me $170cad for the knife his mother was ignorant enough to throw out because the circumstances surrounding its being left at his house, against my wishes, were not set in motion by me. I'd appreciate if you didn't make reference to me as a child anymore. Thanks to those of you who were informative and led to my actually learning something.
P.S.: I can't imagine Le Baron's price being much cheaper than Knifezone's, but I'm calling their store right now. Thanks a lot for the tip.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Here we go again...
goke

Post by goke »

Knifezone's prices seem a tad out of line, $262 for a Civilian!?
You'd save a C note if you ordered from New Graham (approx $165.)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

zackerty wrote:Here we go again...
Nah Zack, he's got me pegged pretty good. :D

Raus06, I would still urge you to consider that, whether or not it's "fair" or "right", LEO's tend to pay a lot more attention to young adults like you than to old codgers like me. If you happen to dress in the manner of the group whose music you appear to like, they tend to pay even closer attention. And, at least around here, if they do stop you, a knife with the size and appearance of the Civilian and the so optimized for use on human flesh as to be useless for much else, would almost guarantee you a long conversation with them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
thenick

Post by thenick »

I am a Canadian from Montreal

I bought from now 5 spydies out of the web from http://www.newgraham.com and from http://www.spyderco.com :D

I also bought a Ka-Bar #1282 from http://www.ka-bar.com. I never had any problem with the customs.
.:: TheNick ::.
jsholli

simmer down nah! Simma!!!

Post by jsholli »

Very good points, Paul. BTW, if you're still awake up there, how come you didn't swoop onto the SS black endura I just won (# 6522142176) Is it not well worth the winning bid? Please advise, since I honestly have no clue!!! I just got it b/c I had never seen nor heard of them before that auction.

FWI, as you who know the ropes can see from my profile, I'm not much more than a kid myself, and while I drive a little 2000 Saturn SL2, my wife's car is an '03 wine colored Le Sabre, so even when our combined 6,000 watts of pure and unadulterated bass shakes the neighborhood's windows, no one realizes it was us the next day as we drively calmly by ;)
/
\
/
V
But, back to the thread. Son, lighten up on the Deacon, please...We were all wondering how the dirty deed transpired. You will earn respect more quickly by enduring a little 'initiation' than for calling forumites names :( Especially one's who are so well respected by all of the population here. Yeah, it hurts to be stereotyped, but most stereotypes are based on widely prevalent facts. E.G. I'm an Arkansas redneck hillbilly white-trash barefoot yocal who's parents barely graduated highschool, but who also has completed 2 full-time degrees (BS&MS) after being awarded a full-ride to the U of A for graduating #1 in my highschool class of '98. I was paid to go to college with multiple scholarships and what they call a yearly stipend as well, and earned my BS with honors; so I can testify to the unfairness of stereotypes...you just have to smile and nod while working to go against the proverbial grain.

Be honorable and be treated as such; be naughty and get 'ignored' by many...
[CENTER]People are contagious by nature---actions & attitudes seem to spread the fastest of all -jh[/CENTER]