What kind of heat can FRN take?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
OutofGum

What kind of heat can FRN take?

Post by OutofGum »

And other handle materials for that matter?

I know leaving a knife in a closed car in the sun will make the metal parts too hot to touch. Can the metal melt the damage the FRN at contact points? At what temps to I have to start worrying about the handle?
To the pessimist the glass is half empty, to the optimist the glass is half full, to the engineer its twice as big as it needs to be.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

OutofGum wrote:And other handle materials for that matter?

I know leaving a knife in a closed car in the sun will make the metal parts too hot to touch. Can the metal melt the damage the FRN at contact points? At what temps to I have to start worrying about the handle?
G10 and micarta would burn rather than melt if the temperature got high enough. FRN will melt. Have no exact figure, but can say for sure that the FRN of a C41 Native handle will melt (and stink to high heaven) if it makes contact with a burner on an electric range set to "medium". :o Had an FRN :spyder: in my car all last summer with no problems, but it was never directly in the sun, was either in the glove box or driver side door pocket.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sword and Shield

Post by Sword and Shield »

It'll take more heat than you will. ;)
I am a man. But I can change. If I have to. I guess...-- The Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge #11.
druid

Post by druid »

I am by no means an expert, and not really frn Fiberglas reinforced nylon fan. In my opinion leaving a frn handled life on your dashboard and lets a Midsummer Arizona might not be the best idea on the planet.
G. 10 might fade in time with exposure to long-term ultraviolet. But according to the spiderco educational section of this web site G. 10 is a
"Handle material made of epoxy filled with woven glass fiber that is impervious to changes in temperature and can be tinted into many colors. "
And I think you would survive on dashboard and Arizona. The really don't know much about micarta but I suspect it would pass the dashboard test. Obviously steal would get very hot.
Aluminum does not absorb or transmit he nearly as easily as far as I know.
And titanium is fairly impervious to everything. But as far as transmission of heat I don't know.

As far as your blade melting this will not happen. However I would be curious to know at what temperature could start affecting the temper of blade steal for example kitchen knife steals are often advertised as heat resistant does this mean that say 350° the temperature inside a while cooked turkey I guess.....can affect the temper of some steals overtime. Then the temperature inside an automobile which could exceed 400° I think..... might affect blade temper :confused: I personally don't think so but something talk about.
why
fret

Post by fret »

I don't know about the :spyder: FRN melting? But I left a thermos in the car and the cup/cap melted. So it must have gotten hotter than coffee? The clip on my Dragonfly was loose and I used a butane match lighter to soften it and put it back good as new condition. :cool: