A.F.C.K. for self defense

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
clipiteer

A.F.C.K. for self defense

Post by clipiteer »

What is your opinion on the Benchmade A.F.C.K. for self defense? Normally I wouldn't consider another brand, but I like the size, shape, and looks of it. (it also has the spyderco trademark round hole)

Edited by - clipiteer on 5/22/2001 9:22:05 AM
seth

Post by seth »

The AFCK is distant relative Spyderco, because the design was influcenced by Spydie folk.

Ther are many folk who are very devoted to the AFCK for SD. Good balance, secure grip are some of the positives.

Tip/point breakage has been a issue. Some say the metal may be too thin up front.

-Seth
v34

Post by v34 »

I may be a Heretic but the AFCK is the best knife Spyderco never made. I own 18 Spydercos but find myself carrying the Mini AFCK 90% of the time.
Clay Kesting

Post by Clay Kesting »

I remeber a lot of discussion about the AFCK's tip breakage in the early days of the forums. IIRC the problem is due more to the way Benchmade heat treat ATS34 than tip strength. Apparently they don't temper sufficiently and the steel is just too hard and brittle. Difficult to sharpen also as I recall.

Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow, in Australia it's tomorrow already.
clipiteer

Post by clipiteer »

Clay,
I should have also mentioned that it is the serrated model in M2 steel that I was asking about. Sorry for any confusion.
shootist16

Post by shootist16 »

If you like the AFCK, take a serious look at the Wegner. I carried an AFCK for a while, but found the Wegner to be stronger and a lot more ergonomic.

Dennis Bible
alex_111

Post by alex_111 »

bm makes a nice knife, as i'm sure you know, and the afck is kind of a cross-breed. i think that this makes it more desirable (good qualities from both sides of the family).
aleX.

"i flip you... i flip you for real..."
Paul Rouleau

Post by Paul Rouleau »

My first folder I bought purely for defense was an AFCK purchased 5 or so years ago.For me it is one of the best handling folders in regular or reverse grips I own.Unfortunately it did not prove to be all it appeared. Despite never being abused in any way it's brittle edge chipped and the plastic liner in the back of the handle cracked where the last pin goes through.I had to epoxy the piece back in place and sharpen the chip out of the edge.As a result I retired my AFCK and purchased a plain edge Spyderco Civilian that I still often carry along with the MBC series knives.My advice is to stay away from the AFCK unless it's material shortcomings have been remedied.Try one of the MBC knives instead.