Steel Type for Lockbar / Liner , etc.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jfm

Steel Type for Lockbar / Liner , etc.

Post by jfm »

Hello all,

A recent discussion on one of the forums (I think it was BF) about the wear properties of liner locks got me thinking about what type of steel is used in lockbars, liners etc (this may be a basic question to those who are experienced in folder construction - I certainly am not :rolleyes: ).

Is there a "typical" grade of steel used for lockbars? For example, I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that a folding lockback knife with a VG-10 blade does not also have a lockbar made of the same steel as the blade. The same question goes for liners and compression locks. Frame locks seem to be a different category (e.g., titanium can be used, as in a Ti Salsa or a Sebenza, or steel, as in a stainless Cricket).

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
:spyder:
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Lockbars should be the same steel as the blade.
Liner locks should be only slightly softer than the blade, that is Ti is usually used.
The rest, I do not know, but suspect that the ball lock is harder than the blade steel.
dialex

Post by dialex »

That is correct. Speaking of lockbacks, the lock should be made out of the same steel like the blade because of the galling involved. This in theory, because there are knives with the lock made out of an inferior steel (not Spydercos, BTW)
In the case of linerlocks (and compression locks), I think the main issue is flexibility and corrosion resistance, that's why they choose titanium or a different stainless steel (no need for edge retention in a liner).
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
EnduraNCE

Re: Steel Type for Lockbar / Liner , etc.

Post by EnduraNCE »

Crap.. so that means the liner-lock on a ZDP189 Spydie is also ZDP189? I get the logic.. it’s so hard it would eat through a softer stainless (maybe) but.. this **** is so brittle my one and only attempt at sharpening toasted the edge. That is 100% on me but what I’m getting at is a drop can chip and break the blade.. so what happens if I put some force on, or drop it on the liner lock made from arguably the most brittle supersteel?