g-10 ageing?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
druid

g-10 ageing?

Post by druid »

Is it normal for G-10 to get lighter with age. Is there any kind of the conditioner like armor all that you would suggest. The material in question is probably six to seven years old. It had been on the shelf for number of years and has seen only light-duty. I just recently washed it and noticed there were light spots. I washed it again and pretty sure that it is not soap. I really am not concerned just curious.
why
crahen

Post by crahen »

All of my G-10 knives haven't had anything like that happen... yet.

I have an old Navigator that has had a lot of abuse, and except for the handle grippyness going a little smooth, no blotches or anything.

Interesting :confused:
Those in the know use Spyderco.
rycen

Post by rycen »

STP protectant works well.
Zrexxer

Post by Zrexxer »

Mother's brand "Back-To-Black."
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Ultra violet will fade and weaken the resin in glassfibre products eventually. Look at old surfboards for example... most knives stay in dark places for most of the time, and years ago, when Spaulding first released G10, G11 etc, they said the lifespan of G10 etc was many, many years... how long, who knows?
I made a small knife for a customer in 1997, using black G10, and last time he spoke to me, he never commented on any damage, visual or otherwise. He is a jeweller by profession, so I would guess that he is the type of person that would complain about blemishes etc.
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

Zrexxer

How does "Back-to-Black" work on blue or green G-10? ;)

David
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
RLR

Post by RLR »

Oil it, rub and oil again. That will get the luster back. I use regular honing oil.
Zrexxer

Post by Zrexxer »

[quote="4 s ter"]Zrexxer

How does "Back-to-Black" work on blue or green G-10? ]Works great - despite it's name, it's a milky white liquid that helps restore whatever the original color of the surface was. Kind of like armorall etc but without the drawbacks like greasy feel, etc.
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

try wd40 :D
crahen

Post by crahen »

I'm afraid I'd have to put up with blotchy looking handles then have them with oily/greasey stuff on them :eek: Yuk.
Those in the know use Spyderco.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

A good cleaning and Militec works quite well.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
UK KEN

Police G-10

Post by UK KEN »

Hello All!

I have an old G-10 police that has seen some carry time and a bit of use nothing dramatic. When not used, I retired it a few years ago, it lives in a dark drawer. It is a lighter by two or three shades than another G-10 Police that I picked up recently!

No matter how much cleaning, when dry it reverts to a dark grey colour! :eek: It is still a great knife. :D

Regards, Ken
timlara

Post by timlara »

Two products that work great to "revive" dried out G10 are:

Ballistol Lubricant
(recommended to me by Cody at the Spyderco Factory Outlet)

http://www.ballistol.com/

or...

303 Products' Aerospace Protectant:
(similar to the "back to black" that Zrexxer mentioned, but I just happen to have personal experience with this one from using it on my cars. The unique thing about it is that it is designed to help protect from futher ultra-violet light damage. Their motto is "SPF 40 Sunscreen for your stuff".)

http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=protectant

Neither one will leave the knife handle greasy or slippery if you use them properly. The trick is to apply a generous helping of either product so the G10 is fairly saturated and rub it in with a cotton terrycloth, leaving a little excess on if it doesn't all soak in. Let the knife air out over night (especially if you choose Ballistol -- it's a bit heavy on the fumes) then, the next day, clean off any excess product with a clean terrycloth and the knife should look good as new!

The idea is for either product to soak into the G10 and moisturize it -- not for it to coat the surface. If the G10 is really dried out, you might have to repeat the process more than once.

btw -- Ballistol also works great to remove sticky, gummy residue from the knife blade if you have been cutting packing tape, etc...
Tim
UK KEN

Hello!

Post by UK KEN »

:D Hello Tim! :D

Been missing you here ;) Does this mean that things are easing up at work?

Anyway, great to have you back and thanks for the advise.

Regards, Ken
timlara

Post by timlara »

Thanks Ken! :)

I'm actually off work today, but yes, in general it has been easing up a bit. I was so far behind for a while that I seriously had to ban all personal web browsing while I was at the office as I tend to have no self control once I get started! Especially when it comes to Spydies!! :D
Tim
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

I've got to give Recoil credit for this tip and it works really well ...

I've got some of the original Bob T G10 knives and they had gotten a bit light. WD40 made them look new ... They don't feel anywhere close to greasy. :spyder:
Steve