spyderco mods?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
markIVbigblock

spyderco mods?

Post by markIVbigblock »

i keep hearin about people w/ spydercos they had modifeid or modified themselves. what kind of stuff do u do? and can anyone post some pics of their modified spydercos? Im intrigued.

Aaron :spyder:
come on everyone lets try and get Sal to bring back the Q!!!
zeus

Post by zeus »

No pic but here is an old post of mine and what I did to my Dodo.:]

Taking apart a Spyderco WILL VOID THE WARRANTY !!

In the Dodo’s case I retracted the ball so the only pressure on the blade was from the pivot and washers. Factories set up the pivot tension to avoid the blade flopping open or closed if the lock is disengaged (like a gravity knife). My action was pretty scratchy and snug. Loosening the pivot helped but only a bit.
I was surprised to find a double spring setup on the ball plunger; it caused a lot of tension against the blade heel as it rotated.

After the knife was stripped, I put it together without the ball lock assembly and checked for free blade smoothness. Still scratchy. Seemed like the blade was riding on the G-10 instead of the pivot washers. The thin transparent synthetic washers are quite small in diameter (I think they could have gone double the diameter) and I checked these for foreign matter. There appeared to be some machining residue and a small amount of lubrication. These were cleaned but not re-oiled. I relieved the inside edges of the G-10 scales near the blade area-of-rotation. This helped though I still have just a bit of a scuff on the blade near the pivot. Again with the reassemble and test minus the locking bits. This time the blade flipped open and closed pretty smoothly. I then looked to the lock rails and plunger and perform a very light de-burr on any surfaces which interact. I was also surprised to see the plunger is aluminum. I don’t think the plunger rod contacts anything but the steel ball and the two springs (one spring rides inside of a larger one) and is held suspended against the ball bearing. I add two drops of Miltec-1 (one drop per washer), reassemble the knife, work the pivot a bit and the thing is much smoother once the pivot tension was set to my liking. .

WARNING: The next modification was done at my own risk and I do not recommend it for anyone!

There was a great amount of tension created by the dual spring setup so I removed the smaller spring. This gave me the desired “AXIS Lock” effect; retract the ball and with the same one hand flip open and flip close. The tension seemed comparable with the omega springs on my Benchmades. I tested the lock with the single spring set-up by wrapping the blade in scrap leather, blocking the choil with a piece of wood and applying a large percent of my 195 pounds to the handle in different directions. Attempting to cause the ball to slip back and release the blade. I could not overcome the lock but I could see that if my palm flesh pressed into the scale recess and against the ball during a bear grip, there is a chance it could disengage.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Hi Aaron, I had Ron Cochran modify a Schemmp Persian for me, replacing the micarta scales with bone stag, adding brass pins and a brass lanyard tube, enlarging the :sypder:hole and beveling its edges, cutting traction grooves in the spine, and drilling lightening holes in the liners. There is no provision for a clip.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

I modified this Stretch by removing the pocket clip, smoothing the edge of the :sypder:hole, slightly rounding the two frontmost "points" on the handle, and cleaning up the exposed edges of the handles. I then had Chase Axinn replace the kraton inserts with brown canvas micarta. This is my primary EDC.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

I modified the S30V Native on the right by smoothing the edge of the :sypder:hole, deepening the primary finger notch in the handle to allow full exposure of the :sypder:hole, and removing the pocket clip

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

I also modified my grey FRN Calypso Jr by rounding the top of the blade hump a bit, smoothing the edge of the :sypder:hole and removing the pocket clip.

I've also had a Delica and a Kiwi engraved for myself, a Cricket engraved as a gift, and had Kiwi fitted with Sambar Stag scales I provided by Santa Fe Stoneworks.

And, I'm already plotting how I want to modify an R2 or two when they come out. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
KBR

Post by KBR »

These are some pics of a laser engraved SS Endura PE that is identical to the one that was given to me by my wife and kids some years back for Father's Day. The engraving was done at the Spyderco factory.... :cool:
Attachments
Endura spydie forum II.JPG
Endura spydie forum II.JPG (12.02 KiB) Viewed 2818 times
endura.jpg
endura.jpg (12.54 KiB) Viewed 2819 times
"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...
Tank

Post by Tank »

Here's my Kiwi with a turquois handle instead of bone and a nickel finish. I didn't to the mods I got it that way as a gift. But I love it.
Attachments
Spyderco Kiwi1.jpg
Spyderco Kiwi1.jpg (23.96 KiB) Viewed 2841 times
markIVbigblock

Post by markIVbigblock »

wow thanks guys those are neat i like that engraved endura ive seen those before but never where the spyder web continues onto the blade that really ads alot to the look i think

Aaron :spyder:
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Gotta love tritium and beadblasting.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

MarkIV,
Here is another thread with more pics http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13475 I have a post in here too with poor quality pics and links. I've done a cricket, paramilitary, G10 Native and 25 native III's. I'm waiting on another para and I'm about to send out a kopa. I was thinking how would a viele 2 look in red micarta ?
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I reground my frn Endura to a 7 radius hollow grind, removed the loose play clip, and using the lanyard hole, made a Kydex clip, with a alluminium interscrew...
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

MKIV, O/T but what Rat do you own, a 427, 454 or what? And what chassis is it in?
markIVbigblock

Post by markIVbigblock »

it was actually a 402 we built it up pretty wild and put it in an old POS 78 firebird ALOT of work went into makin that thing fit we actually had to cut out the dash and move it to make clearance that engine was wild tho the lift on the cam was so high the stock valve covers wouldnt fit.

Aaron

Post by 224477 »

zackerty wrote:I reground my frn Endura to a 7 radius hollow grind, removed the loose play clip, and using the lanyard hole, made a Kydex clip, with a alluminium interscrew...

Hello zackerty,

how about posting a pic? I am curious.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Paul, I really like what you did with that Stretch! I wouldn't mind seeing one that way from the factory, maybe with a blue G10 inlay!

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Mr Blonde wrote:Paul, I really like what you did with that Stretch! I wouldn't mind seeing one that way from the factory, maybe with a blue G10 inlay!
I'm really pleased with the way it feels Wouter, the canvas micarta has almost zero drag against cloth, so it slides in and out of my pocket very smoothly. Yet, it stays put nicely in my hand even when it's dry, and when it gets wet, it gets quite grippy. I'm not sure if G10 would work as well, but that may just be a result of my not really being much of a fan of G10. Think I'd try matte finished carbon filber if I were going to do something other than the micarta. I'm still not sure if I did the right thing by leaving the ovals exposed, and not sure yet which route I'd take if I had another one done. Of course for those who use the clip, there's less choice involved there.
Paul
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

What are the cam and head specs? Got any pics?
Stuart Ackerman

you asked...Hello zackerty,

how about posting a pic? I am curious...

here goes...

aluminium interscrew, 0.090 kydex, 7 radius grind ( 14 inch wheel)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Zackerty, that kydex clip looks great! How well does it work? Is there a decent amount of tension?
Paul
Stuart Ackerman

The original clip was so loose , that I ground it off, and fitted the Kydex one. Not as much tension as a steel clip, but enough to hold in it my pockets..... also looks like a cellphone , not a knife... more sheeple friendly.

Post by 224477 »

zackerty wrote:The original clip was so loose , that I ground it off, and fitted the Kydex one. Not as much tension as a steel clip, but enough to hold in it my pockets..... also looks like a cellphone , not a knife... more sheeple friendly.
Hello Zack,

interesting, never seen before :eek:
Hmmm, could I make a phonecall :D ?
btw. when I was carrying first molded clip spydies in my school (in 1996-7) I allways found someone who thougt it is a cell phone :D
JTCasimir

Post by JTCasimir »

JSmith,

You have sparked my curiousity with your use of tritium in your customization.
Can you tell me, is there any hazard of having tritium near the skin for prolonged periods?
I'm considering embedding a bit of tritium in the lanyard hole of my Endura--one that I carry inside my waistband...

Thanks in advance.