Numbered Spydercos

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dr. Snubnose

Numbered Spydercos

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Just how much more value would a numbered knife have? Or does it really depend on the model? If the knife is still in production? Just what is the criteria? Some of you religious collectors may be able to me out here... Thanks in Advance for your responses...Doc
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Rob

Post by Rob »

Numbered with a collector's number? Hmmm... I don't think that the value changes dramatically because of the number. There are 199 other knives that share the fact that there is a number on the blade. It only might become an issue is there is a person who just subscribed the collectors program and got the number that your knife has on its blade and this person REALLY wants this knife :)

An other case could be a collector who is not in the program but already has a number of knives with the same number (not very likely).

I wouldn't care too much about the number. Some of the :spyder: in my small collection also have a collector's number on them but I would never hesitate to use my "103V" numbered Manix (which is my EDC). :D

Cheers, Rob
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I had 103V centofante III, just a number
GronK

Post by GronK »

I've picked up three Spydercos (kiwi, mini dyad, meerkat) with the same number on them at various knife/gun shows in this area, all from different vendors. Someone must have sold his collection.
Think Twice, Post Once!
GronK
Rob

Post by Rob »

GarageBoy wrote:I had 103V centofante III, just a number
It seems that collector number 103 (if there is one at the moment) doesn´t like variations :)

Cheers, Rob
vtecnrg

Post by vtecnrg »

I have always wondered if the lower #'s were more collectable like #1-10. I would love to have my own number but then don't you have to buy every new knife that comes out?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

vtecnrg wrote:I have always wondered if the lower #'s were more collectable like #1-10. I would love to have my own number but then don't you have to buy every new knife that comes out?
I've wondered more along the lines of "if collector nn turned out to be someone famous, either within the knife world itself or for other reasons, would knives with their number be worth more?". Think either way the answer would be yes to some folks and no to others. For me personally, a collector number on some knives, like the C27 Jess Horn, no matter what that number is, lowers the value, because it disfigures the knife. Granted, the newer laser engraved numbers are not as bad in this regard. I can only see them ever adding value in the case of "sets" where it might be neat, to have, for example all the variants of the Jester with the same number. Others, I am sure, will see this differently.

As far as the other, from what I understand, when you join the collector program you have a choice of signing up for "all variants" or just the "primary version" of each new model, but you do have to take each new model as it comes out. So with the Atlantic Salt, for example, some collectors would only get the black SE version, others would get all four.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]Of course the other downside is, now I have to choose between breaking up the "matched set" or going out and buying a fifth, unnumbered, one so I have a user!
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
UK KEN

Numbered knives

Post by UK KEN »

Hello All

Having sold a few Spydies I have found that in the UK numbered knives sell for a better price than those without a number. Depending what knife it is, the norm is 10% to 20% more than a knife without a number.

I think that the attraction is (for collectors not users) to own one of the first 200 of a particular model.

Paul, I agree with you entirely when you say that a number can detract from the looks of a knife. Especially in the case of the Horn taking into account the blade size and the size of the engraving!

Having seen what Spyderco are capable of with engraving in the case of the UK Penknife (design team edition) I do not see why the numbering on all their knives cannot be done more discreetly.

Ken
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

So what I gather is the first 200 knives are numbered, but I have a number 290 in the Massad Ayoob Knife...how is that explained?
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:So what I gather is the first 200 knives are numbered, but I have a number 290 in the Massad Ayoob Knife...how is that explained?
On many of the collaboration models, ALL the knives, or at least all the knives in the first production run, which is generally around 1200 pieces, are numbered. My Massad Ayoob is #834. And as for the other end of things, I beleive that when Spyderco first set up the collectors program, they put a maximum limit on it of 200 members. I don't believe it ever reached full capacity, so the highest actual collectors number would be lower than 200. Over the years some have left the program, for a variety of reasons, and at least some of their numbers have been "recycled to new collectors joining the program.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Ahhhhh...Thanks Deacon you've been of much help...Doc