Any Interest In A Spyderco Tool Kit?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VultureParade

Any Interest In A Spyderco Tool Kit?

Post by VultureParade »

I don't know if someone has brought this up before. I couldn't find anything about it in a search, haha, so forgive me if this has been talked about.

Would there be any interest in a Spyderco Tool Kit kind of deal? Like a set of tools made and sold by Spyderco that contains the exact size torx drivers and phillips head drivers for the screws Spyderco uses on their knives?

I know I've had trouble in the past taking off clips and what not due to not having the exact size driver. This may help that issue and be a nice little set of tools for use with everyone's Spyderco knives. I'd definately buy a dedicated tool set with the exact size drivers made to use with my Spyderco's. What does everyone think?

-Bryan
i.v

Post by i.v »

good idea i think :)
benchmade's had one for quite a while, looks to me like a helpful thing
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

I think it would be a nice addition. Could be a nice combination with a sharpmaker too.
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

Yeah, good idea. Keep it up, more stuff for me to buy. Got to sell the second born now.

For real, good idea.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

would save the time of hunting around the stores for a new bit all the time.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
denn

Post by denn »

nah, no need for that. if i need a certain tool, i ask on the forum or figure it out myself, and check my toolbox. if i ain't got yet, i'll go buy it.

i think the problem with introducing a spyderco-toolkit would be that spyderco will continue to make new knives in different designs and might very well introduce new sorts and sizes of screws that you don't have in your 'spyderco toolkit' yet.........so you'd still have to buy the tool in the store or buy the 'new and improved spyderco toolkit' :rolleyes:

perhaps a nice marketing-ploy it would be, but not very practical.
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

I don't know denn....I say bring it on!
crahen

Post by crahen »

Hi VultureParade. Glade you brought it up again :D It was mentioned, oh, about two or so weeks ago. Myself and, I forget who else, said that we would like to see a Spyderco Tool Kit ;)

BUT, there was almost no response to the idea :( :( OR no one was reading those couple of posts :rolleyes:

But yes, I think it would be a cool idea. BUT, (there's that "but" again!) Spyderco might be afraid that the average knife user might get a hold on it and end up with a bunch of non-descript parts sitting in front of them not knowing what to do next :eek: :eek:

Then they would call Spyderco and say their knife fell apart :rolleyes:

I know Benchmade (sorry for the language) had a tool kit. Don't know if they ran into anything like that.

Now as far as the guys (gals) on this forum, we wouldn'thave any problems because we are all brilliant :D (OK, maybe not me :( )
VultureParade

Post by VultureParade »

think the problem with introducing a spyderco-toolkit would be that spyderco will continue to make new knives in different designs and might very well introduce new sorts and sizes of screws that you don't have in your 'spyderco toolkit' yet.........so you'd still have to buy the tool in the store or buy the 'new and improved spyderco toolkit'

I think this problem could be solved by offering part replacements for the toolkit. Like you buy the kit and if a new knife comes out that uses a different bit Spyderco can sell that bit at a reasonable price. The kit could come with expansion slots built in to hold extra bits that might be thought up or used in the future.

Spyderco could then update the existing kit so people buying the kit would have the new, complete set.
Hi VultureParade. Glade you brought it up again It was mentioned, oh, about two or so weeks ago. Myself and, I forget who else, said that we would like to see a Spyderco Tool Kit

Haha, see, I knew someone wise and obviously brilliant like Crahen would have brought this up already. :) I must have missed it, oh well, now it is out again and maybe this time we can get some more comments.
I know Benchmade (sorry for the language) had a tool kit. Don't know if they ran into anything like that.

Haha, that cracked me up. Yeah, I know Benchmade has one. I hear people complain that it is poor quality. I'd like to see a tool kit made with Spyderco quality. Not that Benchmade makes products that are poor quality, I've just heard reports that their tool kit was not up to the quality demonstrated by the rest of their product line.
But yes, I think it would be a cool idea. BUT, (there's that "but" again!) Spyderco might be afraid that the average knife user might get a hold on it and end up with a bunch of non-descript parts sitting in front of them not knowing what to do next

Haha, I guess that is always a concern. Spyderco could place a disclaimer on the kit saying that if you scramble it you better get some toast and orange juice because Spyderco won't handle it! Yeah, those exact words, on the kit... :)

But yeah, there are potential problems, but I think the benefits outweigh the bad in this situation and that a kit would prove most useful. It could even come with a little chamber to hold lube or what not, who knows.

-Bryan
crahen

Post by crahen »

VultureParade wrote:Haha, see, I knew someone wise and obviously brilliant like Crahen would have brought this up already.

-Bryan
I need to have you talk to my wife :rolleyes:

I've been called a lot of things in my life but never "Brilliant" or "wise" :o

I'm with you 110% ;) I want my Spyderco Tool Kit :D :D

The idea for the "little chamber to hold lube" is great. How about Also including a Spyderco polishing cloth?
Zrexxer

Post by Zrexxer »

VultureParade wrote:Haha, that cracked me up. Yeah, I know Benchmade has one. I hear people complain that it is poor quality. I'd like to see a tool kit made with Spyderco quality. Not that Benchmade makes products that are poor quality, I've just heard reports that their tool kit was not up to the quality demonstrated by the rest of their product line.
That's why I don't buy knives from tool companies, or tools from knife companies ;)
crahen

Post by crahen »

Hey now! Where talking about Spyderco here ;)

Are you saying that Spyderco would make... JUNK :eek: :eek:

A pox on your favorite Spydie :eek: :D
JD Spydo

Intwined?

Post by JD Spydo »

Yes you could make a "Deluxe" 204 Sharpmaker system with the "tool kit", some of those series 400 ceramic files and a kind of Edgetester device like the one that Razoredge Systems out of Ely Minnesota makes. It can ( should ) be done. Let's insist on it!!!!! ;) :spyder: :cool:
crahen

Post by crahen »

[quote="JD Spydo"]Yes you could make a "Deluxe" 204 Sharpmaker system with the "tool kit", some of those series 400 ceramic files and a kind of Edgetester device like the one that Razoredge Systems out of Ely Minnesota makes. It can ( should ) be done. Let's insist on it!!!!! ]

I think VultureParade, you, and I should be on the Spyderco product development team :D :D :D
JD Spydo

I'll second that!!!

Post by JD Spydo »

crahen wrote:I think VultureParade, you, and I should be on the Spyderco product development team :D :D :D
Like a worn out cliche " you stole my thunder". But seriously we could take those suggestions and do some more brainstorming worth considering. All I know is that I would buy it. ;) :cool: :spyder:
VultureParade

Post by VultureParade »

That's why I don't buy knives from tool companies, or tools from knife companies

Isn't a knife a tool? I'm sure Spyderco would handle it with flying colors. I think Benchmade just threw something together and therefore it wasn't up to par. I doubt Spyderco would ever do that.
I think VultureParade, you, and I should be on the Spyderco product development team

Haha, yeah we can all wear suits with little :spyder: crests on the jackets and drive around in blue VW bugs. :)
Yes you could make a "Deluxe" 204 Sharpmaker system with the "tool kit", some of those series 400 ceramic files and a kind of Edgetester device like the one that Razoredge Systems out of Ely Minnesota makes. It can ( should ) be done. Let's insist on it!!!!!

Haha, the possibilities are endless. I'm sure if the tool kit took off it would make sense for Spyderco to eventually include one with the Sharpmaker as a deluxe set. Haha, it'd be nice if it came in a case shaped like the Spyderco bug.

I'd like to get some more input on this. Would you buy a tool kit if one was offered by Spyderco?

-Bryan