Comp Lock...growing on you yet?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CKE

Comp Lock...growing on you yet?

Post by CKE »

So right off the bat the first comp lock I held was a Lil T. I was impressed but did not like the rhino blade so I passed on it. Then came the Salsa and Gunting. While the Salsa was the right way for me...the Gunting felt backwards. Then I tried the Para and hated the comp lock. It just did not feel right. At Christmas Mrs CKE bought me a Yojimbo and although highly anticipated I had reservations about the comp lock. Well, after carrying the Yo for the last couple of months I can safely say I like the comp lock. Very smooth and easy to operate. I really like it on my special Lil T yet it does not get used. I have the Yo set up for left pocket carry find it fits perfect. I did take some getting used to having the clip on the opposite side.
So, anyone else have the comp lock grow on you? I love linerlocks(lockbacks too) but this comp lock really is nice. Good work Sal and Co.!!!!!
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
vass

Post by vass »

hi cke ! i got a jimbo and a para and i do feel the c-lock is a safe and easy lock to use, but the first time i checked it out on a gunting i wasent impressed and i was sure it was a upside down linerlock, but now i know better :)
crahen

Post by crahen »

First one for me is the Para-Military.

And I must say right from the start I liked it. And still do. In fact I REALLY like it :D The more I use it the more I like it. Some say they have trouble closing it one handed, but I've never had trouble.

I'd like to see it on more knives ;)
silverback

Post by silverback »

My first comp lock was the Ti ATR and recently I got a Ti Salsa.
They are both great and I want more knives with comp lock! :)
As for nested comp lock, when I handled the Para I liked it, too.
I can't understand where the problem would be with one-handed operation, though, never had any troubles. :cool: My technique is to disengage the lock with my thumb and let the choil fall against my index finger, then close the rest of the way with the thumb; basically what I do with front-locks.
Btw, will the Gunting be a special-price offer in the SFO store, now that it's disco'd? I allways kinda wanted one, but more for novelty reasons... :)

Keep the comp locks coming, :spyder: !
Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week. -George Bernard Shaw

Go is a pursuit of such value that one can devote a lifetime to it and have nothing to regret. Why not, then, challenge the limit of your powers. -Toshiro Kageyama 7-Dan
jaxon

Post by jaxon »

Been working on restoring a somewhat used Blue Shell Vesuvius. Pretty sweet if I can get a shaving edge the length of the blade. Still to come. Like my Lil'Temp it gravity closes so the compression lock is fine. If they didn't gravity I think closing could be an annoyance. I'm glad they are adjustable.

Cheers,

Jaxon
Live to Ride....Ride to Live
Senate

Post by Senate »

the comp lock on the Para or Gunting is great. plenty of space for the index finger, allows you to keep your thumb in the hole all the time and manipulate the lock... a two fingers operated lock without changing the grip. :cool:
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
IPSC

Post by IPSC »

[quote="silverback"]My first comp lock was the Ti ATR and recently I got a Ti Salsa.
They are both great and I want more knives with comp lock! :)
As for nested comp lock, when I handled the Para I liked it, too.
I can't understand where the problem would be with one-handed operation, though, never had any troubles. :cool: My technique is to disengage the lock with my thumb and let the choil fall against my index finger, then close the rest of the way with the thumb]

I use the same technique to close my Para as well. Works really well.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

My method, press with index, close would thumb. Got used to it in 5 minutes
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

The nested compression lock is my favorite lock. The integral compression lock is my second favorite lock. Very great stuff.
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
Hellz

Post by Hellz »

Haven't met a compression lock I've liked yet :(

Maybe it's just me, but they always seem to pinch my hand when I open them, and are awkward to disengage. I admit this is probably just because I'm not used to them, but will still avoid knives with them if possible.

Hellz
denn

nah

Post by denn »

got an ATR here, has not grown on me yet. the comp lock gives me a sore thumb and in general i find the closing and folding closed slower than a front- or linerlock. doubt very much i will really like it someday. the only big pro i can give to the comp lock is that it locks up extremely well and safe
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

The comp lock was fine for me right away. I really like the nested version in my Lil Temp.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
HoB

Post by HoB »

I absolutely love the compression lock with the excentric pivot on the Lil'T. The one were the anvil pin is adjustable, I don't like nearly as much. The anvil pin tends to rotate by itself in use, misadjusting the lockup. Meaning you have to really loctite it down.

I close it simply by pushing the lockbar to the side with my finger and flicking the blade shut. The most elegant form of closing a knife in my opinion. Only on the Yojimbo it happens sometimes that, if I flip the blade shut hard, it hits the tip of my index finger through the back of the handle. But it hits only with the tang so no chance of cutting myself.