My First Spydercos - Sharpness Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cameron

My First Spydercos - Sharpness Question

Post by Cameron »

I just purchased my first two Spydercos, a Ronin and a Yojimbo, and they are fantastic!
I love the Janich design and both knives are of inspiring quality. :D

In a little playing around with them I noticed that the Ronin is much sharper than the Yojimbo. Is this usual?

The Ronin will shave hair off my arm effortlessly amazing... :)
The Yojimbo takes a bit of work to get it to shave hair...

The Ronin will slice the corner off a piece of paper like... something really sharp (I can't think of a good example) I have never owned a knife this sharp before.
The Yojimbo seems to tear the paper rather than slice it...

Considering the different steel types is this difference in sharpness normal?

I have absolutely zero experience in sharpening knives (and zero experience with any other Spydercos), I would be terrified I would ruin my new $180 knife by attempting to sharpen it. As I live in Colorado would I be better to take the Yojimbo back to Spyderco to have it sharpened?

I have another Yojimbo (a blue one) on it's way to me now and I will see if it is the same is the (black) one.

Any help from you guys would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cameron
crahen

Post by crahen »

I would say 99% of the Spydercos that I've bought are "scary sharp" out of the box. The rare 1% I just touch up on a ceramic sharpening rod :D
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

:
Last edited by Roefisher on Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

A good sharpening system, like the :spyder: tri angle sharpmaker is an very important equipment as a tool to keep your knives as sharp as possible. A dull knife is more dangerous then a sharp one, because u need more force to initiate the cut, and one's it starts cutting it might cut thru the object and in you ! So i try to keep my knives shaving sharp (at least). U will find a lot of use of the sharpmaker, more then u can imagine now. :)
Never turn your back to a chicken
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha Cameron!

Ahhhhh, I think a few passes on a :spyder: "white Stone" is all ya need to get that Yoji "Scary Sharp"!!!
Don't be afraid to sharpen these...they're straight edged! :D Just take it easy and visualize the edge being made into lightsaber sharpness!!! ;)

God bless and welcome! :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cameron. Welcome to the Spyderco forum. Thanx for the kind words about Michael and the design. Michael is special and his designs demonstrate much thought.

All sharpening is done by hand. Some variation, though generally slight might be detected by the very sensitive.

If you are close to the factory, we can resharpen it for you.

In my opinion, VG-10, though an ingot steel, and not quite as homogenous as the powdered CPM-S30V will get a tad sharper. A credit to the foundry and the heat treater.

Ultimately, should your interest persist, you would want to learn to sharpen yourself. Whether you use a Sharpmaker or some other method, being able to re-create shaving sharp edges on your knives does have its own rewards.

Also, sharpening is not hard to do. Like anything else, a little bit of learning is required and the practice, combined with achieved results develops confidence.

sal
HoB

Post by HoB »

Definitely get the sharpmaker, the best investment you can make. With it you have a zero chance of ruining your knives. Watch the video, and go at it. Since the Sharpmaker is a Spyderco product too, you know that it will complement the Spydie knives perfectly.
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

The sharpmaker makes all my Spydie screaming sharp with very little effort. Only a few swipes on the whites for a touch up and I'm good to go.
Can't recommand it enough!

-Dean

BTW, very cool selection for your first two spydercos. You won't believe how sharp they get!
spyken

Post by spyken »

sal wrote:
In my opinion, VG-10, though an ingot steel, and not quite as homogenous as the powdered CPM-S30V will get a tad sharper. A credit to the foundry and the heat treater.

sal
yes, my suspicions are confirmed by Sal....I love VG10 :)
spyken
Fisher of Men

Post by Fisher of Men »

Wow,

I think I'm going to have to spring for a Sharpmaker. Sounds like good stuff.

Plus, I imagine that I could use it on other things like scissors and kitchen knives?

Are the little round rods small enough to sharpen the "SpyderEdge"?

Cheers,
FoM
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

the little rods are actuall brass rods to protect your hand when you sharpen.

The actual stones are the triangular ones, two whites and two dark gray.

The corners of the triangle will give you a scary edge to those little teeth.

If you still can't figure it out, don't worry, I never understood the Sharpmaker until I watched Sal in the video.

Keep it sharp!
-Dean

edit to add: Yes you can sharpen anything you want on the 204, you'll be impressed
Mongo

Post by Mongo »

IIRC the sharpmaker comes in a clampack with the video already included, the Sharpmaker will sharpen almost every indoor and workbench tool you have.
As with everything knives require maintenance, a good degreaser, a good lubricant and a sharpmaker will keep your knives in topcondition.

Before you try to sharpen the yojimbo, get one off those crappy knives everyone has and try it AFTER watching the video. It's a little bit scary in the begining because you don't know if you are doing it right or wrong, but once you get the movement in your hand, it is like riding a bycicle.
Never turn your back to a chicken
Hannibal Lecter

Buy a Sharpmaker

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

A Sharpmaker will be the best investment you can make as a Spyderco knife owner. I used mine for the first time a few evenings ago on a BM42 and it will shave hair off of my arm.

Buy one, you won't be disappointed.

---
Ta,

H
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."