Tip up / tip down carry?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JTCasimir

Tip up / tip down carry?

Post by JTCasimir »

I'm not clear on the benefit of a tip-down carry model, and I'm hoping that you all could educate me.

I've only carried an Endura regularly, and always inside my waistband (behind a belt) or in my right front pocket--and with a single motion I can grasp, retrieve, and open the knife so that I'm ready to use it.

What I can't understand is, how does one carry or retrieve a tip-down model so it can be opened with as much ease as my current method?

Thanks in advance,
John
denn

tip-down

Post by denn »

when carrying tip-down in the pocket you put your thumb in your pocket and your index- and middle-finger outside the pocket, and then 'push on the thumb-side' and 'pull on the other fingers side' so the knife moves from vertical in the pocket to horizontal in your hand in the perfect position.

another pro of tip-down carry is that you can do speed-draws by simply pulling the knife out and do a spydie-drop.

another plus of tip-down carry is the fact you never have to worry that you might unintentionally cut yourself on the draw, because the blade always points down. some tip-ups, especially those with smooth pivots, tend to open up a little in your pocket, and then when you draw it you grab the into the blade itself which usually has very nasty results.

i think i'm of the few people around here who prefer tip-down and never quite understood why tip-up is supposedly so good....... :confused:
v34

Post by v34 »

Tip down is the only way. Everyone else is wrong..........

;)
Manifest

Post by Manifest »

Tip down is good for me because I carry my knives set up for right hand but carry them clipped to my left pocket...I know, I'm weird. This way, not only is the tip pointing down, but the blade is hard to open because it is blocked by the back of my pocket.

Some people can draw the knives out faster if it's tip down. Like denn said, :spyder: drop it.
Senate

Post by Senate »

tip down is safer, no risk to bleed yourself with your favorite blade ;)
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

For me its drawing speed and comfort. When the blade is 3 inch or shorter I can draw the Spydie very quickly and securely. When the blade starts to reach 4 inches, I can draw the folder more quickly and safely with a tip down.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Slvgx

Post by Slvgx »

I also like tip down because it keeps the handle part against the inside wall of my pocket. On tip-up the "hump" of the spydie hole is against the wall of my pocket, and sometimes it makes the knife kinda sit diagonally in my pocket. Does that make any sense? :confused: I know it sounds weird, but sometimes it bothers me, sometimes I'm fine with it.
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

I have yet to cut myself while drawing from tip up. I might change my preference if I am out of fingers
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

Tip-down-carry guy here too.

Aren't most of Sal's designs tip-down? That's enough reason for me! ;)

Honestly, I think you can get used to either, but people almost always prefer the style of the first one they carried.

It's like you get imprinted and that way feels more natural than the other.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Tip-up allows you to obtain a full grip on the knife handle, draw, thumb or intertia-open the blade, and apply it quickly without having to shift your grip. Tip-down means somewhat less contact on the handle during the draw and at least some kind of rotation or pivot before you can open. That amounts to more things that can go wrong under stress.

As for accidental cuts, they never happen if 1) you carry a good knife with a positive detent and 2) you carry with the back of the blade against the back edge of the pocket. The second point also means your knife will always be in a consistent position, further aiding a rapid draw.

Like many other things in life, it's a matter of personal preference. If your method works for you, it works. As for tip up being part of the "everything else" that's "just wrong," I've timed my tip-up draw/opening starting from the random buzzer on a PACT timer and ending with the "click" of the blade. I average arounf 0.8-0.9 seconds. If that's wrong, I'll live with it.

Stay safe,
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

I'm with Michael...tip up here.
denn

Post by denn »

Michael Janich wrote:Tip-up allows you to obtain a full grip on the knife handle, draw, thumb or intertia-open the blade, and apply it quickly without having to shift your grip. Tip-down means somewhat less contact on the handle during the draw and at least some kind of rotation or pivot before you can open.

it's funny but my experience is that it's exactly the other way 'round. when drawing a tip-up knife i always seem to have some 'air-time' in which there's no positive contact with the knife for a short moment, some sort of flip-over moment, which might result in an accidental drop. with tip-down however, the knife never leaves my positive grip from beginning to end :confused:

perhaps a difference in technique? :confused:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

denn wrote:it's funny but my experience is that it's exactly the other way 'round...
...perhaps a difference in technique? :confused:
Perhaps Denn, 'specially considering that the man you're debating techniques with is the same Michael Janich whose name graces the blades of the Ronin and Yojimbo and three videos :spyder: markets on SD with folding knives.

Now me, on the rare occasions when I carry a knife clipped, I prefer tip down, but I don't carry mine for SD, so I don't take easy/speed of draw into consideration. Heck I'm pushing sixty, arthritic, and my nerves are shot, my weapon of choice is a sawed off shotgun. A video of me attempting to quick draw a knife would be funnier than the one of the fat kid practicing with a light saber. I also tend to carry IWB rather than in a front pants pocket, which is perhaps a factor in why I feel more "comfortable" carrying tip down.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
denn

Post by denn »

The Deacon wrote:Perhaps Denn, 'specially considering that the man you're debating techniques with is the same Michael Janich whose name graces the blades of the Ronin and Yojimbo and three videos :spyder: markets on SD with folding knives.
yes Paul, i know exactly who he is, in fact i've read two books of him, of which i found 'street steel' the most interesting.

i think the difference in tip-up drawing might stem from this: if i draw my knife i rarely reach all the way in my pants to get a complete hold of the knife fully in hand. instead, when i draw a tip-up knife i always find myself needing some additional fumbling/shifting in the hand to get the grip in the ready..... ( :confused: )

i'd like to hear Michael's observations on these differences in technique/draw, i'm intrigued.

denn
budman1950

Post by budman1950 »

Although I understand the benefits of tip-up carry, I prefer tip down. Maybe it's because I'm used to it and tip up appears more complicated.

I reach into my pocket with my thumb and index finger and grasp the hole. Then in a single move, slide the knife out of my pocket while snapping the handle to the rear. The knife is now locked open and ready. Kind of like how you'd pull a knife from a River City neck sheath.

But, I've been carrying a tip up Dodo lately at work and I find it much more sheeple friendly to open it slowly in a several step procedure. Since I also carry a Ronin in a cut down sheath on my left hip, the need for speed with a folder is less important.

But that's just me...
wotanson

Post by wotanson »

I used to be a tip down guy but that has all changed for me know. Give me tip up anyday. Number 1 reason? I kept scratching up the knuckles on my right hand reaching for anything but my Calypso Jr. in my right front pocket. Tip up on my Dodos makes it very easy to draw the knife. I have to say just how much about the way I look at knives has changed since I started carrying :spyder: exclusively. At first I hated wire clips, I didn't think they would hold up, was wrong on that. Was exclusively a SE guy, now I have one PE and I like it loads. So ya live and learn. Cheers, Rob
HOW BOUT THEM RED SOX!!
ODIN, GUIDE MY SWORD TO ETERNAL VICTORY!
rastus

tip up/down

Post by rastus »

Hello, for me it's been about what I'm used to. First Spydies: Enduras-all. Tip up. I use a knife (several as of late) 30 to 60 times a day at work or anywhere else; it's been ingrained in me to open a tip-up folder. On the occasion I pull out a tip down folder, the noggin adds a half second or so to open with a spydie-drop, the same with an upward flip, loosen grip to slide handle to useable position (not an un-noticed move around people).
That being said, I've bought some discounted Spydies at knife and gun shows with broken or missing clips, bought and installed the clip-where I wanted it. I love the design of the Vesuvious, I found one at the show with no clip, then mounted the clip for tip-up carry.(edit: what is the type of lock on the Vesuvious called?) This is now one of my favorite knives for EDC. Same thing with a Calypso Jr.. It was broken (black micarta mounting point), and had no holes for mounting clip for tip-up carry; I remedied that and, again, this ended up as one of my favorite knives.
I've never owned any of the Spydies that open without conscious effort, so I havn't had any of the experiences mentioned that would make me re-think my usual carry, maybe oneday......
Thanks,
---Tom
dialex

Post by dialex »

My very EDC is a FRN SE Delica, therefore a tip up. When it comes to front locks, tip up or tip down carry is OK, but for linerlocks or compression locks, I preffer tip down carry, because the risk of accidentally opening is diminished.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
HoB

Post by HoB »

Aside from seconding Mr. Janich points (though it is more like 8-9 sec per draw for me, not 0.8-0.9 sec - but what is an order of magnitude among friends :D ) I simply like the tip up position of the clip, when I hold the knife (open) in my hand. My index finger hooks around the end of the clip and my middle finger positions itself nicely in the "dip" of the Spydie clip. Especially the Manix but the Yo aswell, I find very comfortable this way.
vass

Post by vass »

i second just what dialex said :)