SE/PE Conversion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hannibal Lecter

SE/PE Conversion

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

It is my understanding that for a nominal charge the Spyderco factory will resharpen your Spyderco blade. My question is: will they, quite obviously for an additional charge, resharpen my new Harpy SS SE and in the process convert it to PE? Even if there was a $50 charge it would still be cheaper than purchasing a Harpy PE from eBay, and I am aware that the blade profile would change a bit, which is OK.

Thoughts, Sal?

---
Ta,

H
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

H

What you are suggesting is regrinding the blade. This is significantly more work than resharpening and would be difficult to carry out without affecting the hardness of the edge (hardening takes place after grinding of blades).

In my opinion, not only would the blade profile change but you might end up with an inferior hardness to the steel also. It may be more expensive, but you would most likely have a much better knife if you bought one originally ground to the edge type you prefer.

Hope this helps!

David
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
Hannibal Lecter

Okay, Perhaps

4 s ter wrote:H

What you are suggesting is regrinding the blade. This is significantly more work than resharpening and would be difficult to carry out without affecting the hardness of the edge (hardening takes place after grinding of blades).
Granted, more work. Granted, great care would have to be exercised to avoid ruining the blade. I don't like where this is going...
4 s ter wrote:In my opinion, not only would the blade profile change but you might end up with an inferior hardness to the steel also. It may be more expensive, but you would most likely have a much better knife if you bought one originally ground to the edge type you prefer.
True, but again, the PE Harpy is such a rare commodity by comparison that I might never lay my hands on one. I am grasping at straws here, I admit, but this is what happens when otherwise sane (?) men become desperate. :p
4 s ter wrote:Hope this helps!

David
I wish it had, my friend, but you have potentially verified what I already expected to be true.

Basically, it appears I'm screwed. :D

Seriously, David, thanks very much for the input, though I really wish your answer could have been different. ;)

The search continues. How long on the CF Harpys? :rolleyes:

---
Ta,

H
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
JD Spydo

Please consider

Post by JD Spydo »

I have a grinding unit known as the Tormek. It is a unique grinder because it is water cooled. What I mean by that is that the grinding stone is constantly dipping itself in water while grinding thus keeping the metal you are grinding completely cool. I have ground several edged tools and striking tools with it. To my knowledge I have never ruined or compromised the quality of any of my tools. I found about this machine through a woodworker that I know that uses it to sharpen his woodworking tools. He has never complained of the loss of quality of any of his chisels, gouges or carving knives. This guy is even more particular than I am. What I am saying is that if care is taken and you don't get into a hurry I do believe that what Dr. Lecter wants can be done. I would be very surprised if the Great Spyder Factory doesn't have something comparable to this unit. You can check them out at http://www.sharptoolsusa.com. I think that might be your ticket. :)
Hannibal Lecter

I Have Seen It

J.D.:

I too have seen this marvel of which you speak. Nice toy.

I would imagine that *someone* could do this conversion. Water-cooling and slow speed would be essential, but I am convinced it can be done. I suppose the operative question is not so much *if*, but instead *how much* ($$$)?

---
Ta,

H
---------------------

Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

My father owns a Tormek... As a test to see how effective the water was, I once ground a 3mm piece of 59 Rockwell 440C, and removed a 8 mm length from one end. I had the edge tested, about 4 mm from the edge. 59 Rockwell hardness !!!!!
I hope a Tormek appears as a birthday present one day!
JD Spydo

considerations

Post by JD Spydo »

Dr. Lecter if you do indeed get yourself a "Tormek" unit you will not be sorry.
There are a lot of the jigs and attachments you probably won't need. I got all of them and I am finding that I am only using about half of them. When you go re-profiling a badly dinged up blade you just take very light strokes and within just a few seconds you are ready to go to the stones to do a refined job. Now the people who sell the Tormek here in the US ( http://www.sharptoolsusa.com) have told me that you don't need anything else but the Tormek. I do disagree with them on that issue because I have not yet found anything but a high quality bench stone ( Spyderco's being some of the very best) to put the final touch on the blade. The people at Sharp Tools USA are very good folks to deal with. You can go straight to them instead of going through a dealer such as Garrett Wade. ;)
denn

Post by denn »

the power-tool idea sounds good, but expensive too. here's my suggestions:

option #1: search yourself crazy on the web for that elusive knife, post WTB's everywhere you can think of, beg other spydernuts to part with theirs, etc........

option #2: if you're not afraid of a challenge and some elbow-grease you can do this by hand yourself with files and stones. just 'sharpen' it so much until the serrations are completely gone and when a plain edge double-grind has been achieved. granted, this sounds like an ordeal, and you'll end up with a smaller blade :D , but this might work. and look at it this way: you'd have a custom hawkbill, made by.....you! imagine how much fun such a project be in your spare-time......

option #3: wait for the CF Harpy.

errm, i'd go for both options #1 and #3. :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If memory serves me correct, there was a thread, either here or on the other Spyderco forum about two years ago, which mentioned a single SE G10 Harpy having been reground to PE by Spyderco for a very special friend of Sal's. The gist of it, again IIRC, was that, while possible, this operation was anything but trivial, and is unlikely to be repeated. If that situation should ever change, I'll be in line right behind you Hannibal, as I would love to have both a stainless one with newer steel (nothing wrong with GIN-1 in my book, more for variety than anything else) and a couple in G10.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sword and Shield

Post by Sword and Shield »

I've de-serrated knives before, and it's a tough job, even with mildly serrated, primarily straight edges. It can be done, but requires near-infinite patience and an insanely steady hand. Doing such on a compound curve as a Harpy scares even me off.
I am a man. But I can change. If I have to. I guess...-- The Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge #11.