The fightin' cricket

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
AllenETreat

The fightin' cricket

Post by AllenETreat »

I just ordered me another SE SS Cricket.

For me, this has to be my optimal carry / fighter - using the Fred
Perrin grip ( blade held between the index & middle fingers in a clenched
fist ) has to be the next best thing to having a raptor claw as an
appendage :cool:

And who can argue with that Sebenza framelock? That thin profile?
THOSE :spyder: SERRATIONS?

I feel better already.

AET
Attachments
C29S.jpg
C29S.jpg (6.7 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, awake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it reality.

T.E. Lawrence
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

Hi Allen,

I agree ... the new SS Cricket is a superior pocket knife ... I've found nothing close for office carry .. It's thin ... sharp ... a decent size blade. I think Sal is likely proud of this one.

"Like a skipping stone" :spyder:
Steve
CKE

Post by CKE »

The SS is the only Cricket version I like. The FRN one I have just does not do it for me. Not comfy in the hand at all. The SS looks to have a bit of a choil and I loves choils :D Take Care!!!
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
crahen

Post by crahen »

I could warm up to the Cricket some if they would bring one out without the reverse S blade. I just don't like it. I would prefer a straight edge/sheeps foot type blade.
Spidernoir

Post by Spidernoir »

Right there with you Allen! My Crickets in any of their variations (PE) are my daily carry.

~jeff :)
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

I love the FRN Cricket. I need a stainless model. ;)
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha Allen!

Good to see ya bro!

Don't care much for that Perrin grip, but OTOH, an SS SE Cricket I LOVE!!!
wicked lil' bug!!! ;)

God bless buddy!
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I wish the release was less exposed
Spidernoir

Post by Spidernoir »

I wish the position of the clip was more like that of the previous models.

~jeff :confused:
Mike Searson

Post by Mike Searson »

I used to like putting the back of the blade beneath my index finger...imagine forming a "C" with your index finger and thumb...grasp the knife handle with the thumb and rest of your fingers and the blade is inline with your curved index finger like a claw.

I'll have to try Fred's method as well.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Great little knife, just too "right hand centric" for a southpaw like me to seriously consider one for EDC. I can understand the general absence of LH versions on linerlock models. In reality, it means tooling up for an entirely new knife, as few, if any parts would be interchangeable. That said, considering their track record, I think if any :spyder: linerlocks could justify that expense they would be the stainless Cricket and the Military. Both have sold so well that the 10% of their sales a LH version could anticipate would be nothing to sneeze at.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
gabo

Post by gabo »

Mike
I can easily see how your grip works. I dont quite understand how Perrins grip is secure.
Daywalker
how are your various projects coming? What grip works for you on the cricket? small blade but nice. Very much like the SPOT.
LONE WOLF

Post by LONE WOLF »

Looks like a mini civilian. Pretty cool.
druid

Post by druid »

I hold it between my thum and the first digit of my forefinger with the rest of the handle gripped by my middle finger lined up with the crease between my palm and finger. With the Cricket much more of the gripped his between your thumb and forefinger. I'm using an old aluminum Cricket which is a bit wider thou. Although I had to get the knife fight the Cricket would be far from my first choice. A braided rope tied with help but this my work knife in it is impractical since it makes it harder to replace on your pocket.
why
Milu

Post by Milu »

[quote="gabo"]Mike
I can easily see how your grip works. I dont quite understand how Perrins grip is secure.
QUOTE]

I'm another cricket fan, but I don't see how this grip is secure on a heavy stroke, unless you also use a lanyard around your hand?
My father always taught me not to trust a man who was not interested in cars, guns and knives.
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha Gabo!

Welp...here's how I have ALWAYS held mine in "$#it hitting the fan" drills. This grip is especially secure when I used to use my old Aluminum one...Right upon opening, I leave my thumb on the hole for gripping reasons, and my index and middle fingers just naturally fall into place. Again, this grip is VERY secure and I think the way most would hold it in a SD situation. ;)

I tried the Perrin grip, but I dunno...maybe my hand is too small or something, but it just doesn't work for me. Too much shifting in hand AFTER or DURING impact... :eek:

God bless :cool:

PS: My "projects"...hmmmm, I'll let ya know when I know! LOL! Also, the SPOT is doing well, losing her finish though! :( But mahalo for asking!!!
Attachments
DSCF0448.JPG
DSCF0448.JPG (61.75 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
DSCF0447.JPG
DSCF0447.JPG (60.29 KiB) Viewed 1534 times

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
dialex

Post by dialex »

Hi Allen, long time no see my friend. Glad to hear your spydies collection is expanding - even with the "eternal" C29 ;) Indeed the Cricket is a great knife, I love them all (except for the aluminium one). Maybe I should get myself one of these eventually ;)
Hi Chad, thanks for the sitrep regarding the "biscuit(s)". ;) That's great news, bro, I'm very happy for you :)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
gabo

Post by gabo »

Hey chad
that looks like a very natural grip. Just as I thought.
I ordered another SPOT for a back up, since my 2 girls are growing up and eyeing my knife collection!
later
Scott
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha!

Hi Alexandru the Great! Will get a biscuit to you soon I hope ;) God bless you my Brother!

Gabo!!! Yes it is a natural grip...I tried ALL possible ways, and well, they just don't work for "me". In the grip shown, "I" can do a LOT, and retention for "me" is there. :D Wow...a few more SPOTS eh? Awesome! I gotta get me a few more sometime too...this black one I have is losing her color! :(

Keep in touch guys, and God bless :cool:

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I like my SS Cricket too for limited MBC use. But I don’t have good experiences with the different grips mentioned. In the end I just tied a short fat lanyard, which works good enough for me.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram