tell Spyderco what you want!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
denn

tell Spyderco what you want!

Post by denn »

probably been done many times before, but i just came up with this thread in the hope that Spyderco would notice and act on it. i'm a huge fan of Spyderco-folders, the only brand of folders i buy nowadays, but every time i find some little things to nitpick on each newly acquired gem, it can always be better. basically, i'm still looking for "that perfect one", you know what i mean? well, anyway, i like to kick off with my wishes, and if you want, just add your wishes and suggestions, or post a link to recent threads if you think this has been done too short awhile ago already:

i want:

- an "ATR-2", with tip-down clip, 13/14mm spyderhole, framelock, spear-point, 3.8" zdp-189 blade, either steel-, G10- or CF-handle
- an "anniversary police" in dark blue either G10 or anodized titanium/anodized handle, liner-lock/framelock, 13/14 mm spyderhole, cpms30v blade, PE or SE
- the Rescue's and Assists's with G10-handles instead of FRN
- modelnames such as "police" and "military" taken off off the blades, it detracts from the looks and seems slightly 'cheapish pseudo-macho-looking'
- the Military to stay exactly as it is, but introduce an additional variant with a grey G10-handle
- the para-military with liner-lock instead of compression lock
- a Native in G10
- the Kiwi upgraded with a pocketclip
- a carbon fiber Endura with 13mm spyderhole

...........just to name a few wishes :D .

everybody who wants or wishes something, tell Spyderco what you want, so maybe we can somehow be part of the process of new models coming out and we all can have our perfect Spyderco's. ;)

grtz,
dennis
vass

Post by vass »

hi denn ! i got a wish for a tipdown yojimbo because my jimbo cut a hole in my legpocket the other day and i was just walking not running or training ! the fact that i had a fully open knife in my pocket maked me afraid and angry :mad:
Hannibal Lecter

Okey dokey, here we go...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

How about a Harpy with a 50/50 PE/SE? The best of both worlds.

A Cricket SS-sized blade in hawkbill.

A Spyderco stiletto; slender, about 3.5" of blade and G10 handles.

More kitchen cutlery in PlainEdge.

Ta,

H
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
Nicky

Post by Nicky »

What I really want, spyderco cannot give it to me... I ONLY want more money to buy more Spydies!

I don't want to ask for anything, if the crew continue to make great knives and to give us the beast selection of knives each year... Sal, the crew and the knife makers are really doing exceptional job and all their hard work worth ten times what they are pay for!
The social revolution is now a fact. As I've discover, I'm a proteiform. The only question that remain unclear is; Who are you?
RLR

Post by RLR »

Just a better detente in the compression lock and I'm happy. The Para and Yo are my favourites, but I had to basically take them apart and mess with the locking tangs to get a passable detente. I also keep the blades a little tighter than I like, just in case. The blades on those knives NEED to stay closed a lot better. I love the G10, the liners, the S30V, everything, just not that nibbly little tip that pokes out too easily.
fret

Post by fret »

Hi Vass. Do you have an idea of how it got that way? "a fully open knife in my pocket " I have had a cheapie auto open in my pocket but not a Spydie or any other knife. I was looking at the Yojimbo in my catalog and it looks like holes for the clip could be put in the handle for tip down carry using the same clip? I won't carry my cheapie auto again as it did the same thing to my pants. I was lucky I didn't get cut and it ruined my pants.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Want to see Chad's and Alex's designs move from prototype to production. Ditto on the collaboration version of Jens Anso's Rocklobster and Ed Schempp's interpretations of the Kris and Kukri.

As for "in house" designs...

Second generation R - Original was one of Sal's best designs if not THE best. At least for me, there is no :spyder: that feels more "just right" in my hand. Sadly, the design was consigned to an early retirement by being used as a showcase for some "wow factor" features that raised the price while lowering the practicality. My vision of "Gen II" would maintain the same size and shape as the original but have a solid blade, flat ground with 14mm hole and fine traction grooves on ramp and choil. I'd love to see solid dual liners with FRN "truss-work" scales over them. This would match the look of the handles on the original version, but perhaps that would only appeal to us :spyder: nuts, and I really think the R design deserves to become widely popular, so solid scales would be ok too.

Kiwi - To me, the "mission" of the Kiwi is to appeal to those who favor the look of a traditional pocket knife, but want, or perhaps need, a more effective opener than a nail nick. So, to increase that appeal, fill in the "jog" in front of the thumb hole to create a smoothly curved spine with a more traditional wharncliffe look. I'd also like to see a switch to a full flat grind, as it's better for peeling and slicing fruit and sharpening pencils. If the Kopas do well, perhaps a couple "sprint runs" with scales of other materials could be considered. For the love of God, keep it clip free and undented. (Sorry Denn, but I have a recurring nightmare where I wake up to find some evil force has gnawed ugly divots out of the lockbars on all my Kiwis and added clips to them.) :eek: :eek: :eek:

75mm Kiwi - A true "big brother" to the revised Kiwi described above, same design, blown up to Delica size. For those who want a bigger, yet still traditional looking, pocket knife.

Finally, since 2006 will mark the 25th anniversary of :spyder: knives, an "anniversary model" of some kind is definitely in order. The dark blue G10 Police certainly sounds like a great candidate for that honor in a format that would have excellent potential for general use sales as well. I would suggest dual nested "quarter liners" up front, to serve as clip mounting pads while keeping the weight close to that of the unlined version. While I'd personally favor the full flat ground blade with no swedge grind as on at least some of the old single liner G10 pieces, I realize the hollow ground with swedge would be more representative of this model's history.

Since it will also mark the 25th year of pocket clips, might be a good time and a good excuse to market some "eye candy" versions of at least the three most common clips.

Looking a bit further into the future, 2009 will mark the 25th of the Police itself. Perhaps it's time to start thinking of a really spectacular spin-off of that blue G10 version to mark that one. Bet there is someone out there that could whip up a batch of "handcuffs & shields" pattern damascus for the blades. :cool: :cool: :cool: Can't speak for anyone else, but I'd put a deposit for one like that, to be delivered in '09, in the mail tomorrow.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Hapkidoin

Post by Hapkidoin »

Wish that they would have dimpled the Civilian for ease of indexing. LOL These 57 year old hands arn't what they used to be.
dialex

Post by dialex »

I'd love an Assisted Endura:

And maybe to reintroduce the Flat Iron Folder, even as a short run.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Phalanx7.62

Post by Phalanx7.62 »

Reintroduce the Lum Chinese with S30V and CF scales, and "borrow" Benchmade's AXIS lock just this once.

A stock Manix PE (I don't have one yet)

Caly Jr ZDP189, but with Micarta or G10

Caly Sr (same as above)

and then I want more stock Spydies to bolster my collection :)

Robb
DILATEDPEOPLES

Post by DILATEDPEOPLES »

szabofly is all I am wanting right now
nonfactor

Post by nonfactor »

Calypso Jr ZDP189 in CF, G10 and flat grind SS

Tip down Rookie in G10, CF or Micarta
druid

Post by druid »

Sorry double post
why
druid

Post by druid »

Maybe if you could reintroduce something like the c40-jot singh kholsa, which had great opening dynamics and a lot of style. If you're not phasing out liner locks I would like to see slightly thicker versions. I would like to see more left and right hand specific models, rather than having holes drilled all over the place. I also like to see more spiderco kitchen cutlery. And how about some spiderco bumper stickers. :p
why
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

Lum Chinese slipjoint G10 ZDP189
Phalanx7.62

Post by Phalanx7.62 »

I knew there was more Chinese fans out there!! I can't put this folder down!
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

All I really want is a Delica sized version of the new drop point D'Allara we're going to see in the future. Love the ball-bearing lock and can't wait to see the new drop point D'Allara but the size will be too big for everyday carry as I'm assuming it'll be the same length as the old D'Allara Rescue. I'm hoping to see it in a 4" closed length and about 7" overall eventually.
Slvgx

Post by Slvgx »

-UK Penknife with a lock! Any type of lock... BBL, Compression, Lockback, any of them will make me happy.

-Looking forward to the ZDP Caly :D :D

-Looking forward to the new drop point BBL

-I'd love to see a Jester with a clip, micarta, vg-10.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i'd love to see:

-- one of alex's designs become a reality

-- new spyderhawk-sized hawkbill folder in H1, with G10 scales

-- some kind of "super salt" manix/chinook-sized marine knife, H1 and G10

-- a native that's just a little bit larger

-- a scorpius with krayton inserts

-- choil incorporated into delica/endura handle

-- assisted opening vesuvius?

-- a hawkbill in PE or CE

-- persian with tip down carry