Ghosts in the machine

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
druid

Ghosts in the machine

Post by druid »

Recent questions of etiquette involving members viewing this site, bring to mind a couple questions.
One. The ratio of views to replies is often rather high as much as 1 to 150 does this reflect a high degree of nonmember readership, I suspect there's no way to really know.
two. Should this really affect our conversation, or should we just act natural.
Three. Just a thought should there be a members only forum viewed only by forum members where we can "let her hair down".
why
jsholli

Post by jsholli »

IMO viewers of this forum probably are here for 1 main reason: to get more info on :spyder: s. And if someone is thirsting for knowledge on a passionate subject, their feelings will not likely get hurt by these guys' rhetoric. Myself, I get somewhat offended at times, but I realize some guys are a little louder than others--and I quickly get over it...

My point is, I don't visit sites or forums that I know will make me mad or contradict my basic values; If someone gets deeply offended, it is possible that they were looking for an excuse in the first place. ;)

Good night all
[CENTER]People are contagious by nature---actions & attitudes seem to spread the fastest of all -jh[/CENTER]
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

I think we're all civilized here. I, for one, wouldn't act any differently if it was a member-only forum. I don't think we offend anyone on a daily basis, anyway.

I suppose the high number of reads include the guests, or multiple viewings from a given member(which is often my case)

interesting questions!
-Dean
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Also keep in mind that some of us DO read without replying. If we bite our tongues(or would that be fingers :confused: :rolleyes: ) and not add our 2 cents to every post, it's harder to get into flamewars.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

Add my name to the list of those that read a lot more threads than I post in.

As for a "members only" forum, I've seen such forums where members can "let their hair down" and it's not a pretty sight :eek: Personally, I don't think it's necessary or desireable here.

David
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
CKE

Post by CKE »

I don't always post either. Whether it is the fact I don't know the answer to a given question or the topic does not interest me.
I think we are all pretty relaxed here...I know my hair is down when I come here :D And I have a mop :eek:
There are lots of people who just want to find a quick answer to a question they have. If they can search and find it, why bother signing up to participate for only one question. Not everybody are knifeknuts :(
Take Care!!!
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
silverback

Post by silverback »

You mean ... non-spyderholic eyes ... are reading ... MY POSTS?! :eek:
*gasp* ... NOOOooo°°°ooo...!
I feel soiled. :D

Seriously, I'd be interested to know how many visitors we have. I don't feel the urge to post everywhere, though I read almost all threads. Especially in the question threads, if a good answer is already given, there's no need to comment further. FUN threads are another matter altogether.
I second the opinion that we're a pretty nice group. :) We don't even have many trolls (because they get bored by the politeness?)
I remember only one serious troll thread in the old MBC forum.(you know... ;) )
No need yet for members only sections, most certainly a profanity/bash section is not for us. :eek:
Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week. -George Bernard Shaw

Go is a pursuit of such value that one can devote a lifetime to it and have nothing to regret. Why not, then, challenge the limit of your powers. -Toshiro Kageyama 7-Dan
Hannibal Lecter

I Quite Agree

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

Jimmy_Dean wrote:I think we're all civilized here. I, for one, wouldn't act any differently if it was a member-only forum.
Nor I. I personally try not to post anything here that I would not be willing to say to anothers' face. I try to conduct myself as if each of you were within arms' reach having a conversation.

Lurkers are welcome to read and take away what they wish.

Ta,

H
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

As a recent addition to the memberlist I find there is a lot to read and a lot to see on this forum but as yet not too much to comment on. Frequent posters seem to have awesome collections and to be very knowledgable. I am not that spyderwise yet and I doubt I ever will be but I do enjoy the visits.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I am no one important, I do not have airs, I do not expect to have people bow down to me.....BUT...

If we use a "members only" title to give us a reason to " let our hair down, " and our moral, verbal, and mental standards deteriorate to that of other forums, I WILL LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stuart
fret

Post by fret »

I enjoy reading so much that I forget to post. Old age I think???
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

zackerty wrote:I am no one important, I do not have airs, I do not expect to have people bow down to me.....BUT...

If we use a "members only" title to give us a reason to " let our hair down, " and our moral, verbal, and mental standards deteriorate to that of other forums, I WILL LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stuart
My sentiments exactly Stuart.

As far as the "guest to member" ratio at times, I know that I for one sometimes "browse" this forum from work, but would never log on from there. Could be wrong, but have a hunch I'm not alone in that.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

one of the things about this board i like so much is that it is indeed "civilized."
Shiden

Post by Shiden »

I read more than I post. It just depends on the topic and if I know the answer to a question. IMO everyone here behaves very ' civilized' and the count of offending posts is very low compared to other forums.

Shiden
swede

Post by swede »

I've posted a lot in past years, now I mainly read. Maybe it's me, but a lot of the ground covered in the past 6 months has been talked through already. I'm always willing to post, but don't find much to respond to.

I suspect lots of guests are members who just check in. I also cannot imaging behaving an differently if the forum were "members only".

Dave
sal

Post by sal »

Actually, I applaud the civility and courtesy demonstrated here.

sal
CKE

Post by CKE »

I find that much of the topics have been covered. But it is from a whole new group of people and the old timers here make things very easy for the new folks when they post answers and discuss.
I remember when I first came here I was nervous to ask some q's because I figured that they had been asked already. Sometimes the search function does not give you exactly what you want. I always try to answer a question, even if I have answered the same question before. Take Care!!!
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
crahen

Post by crahen »

Speaking of "civility and courtesy";

When I come here I feel kinda like I'm at a knife club meeting. A group of friendly people with a common interest standing around talking about something they have a passion for. Sometimes you talk, sometimes you listen. You inject a comment here and there.

I'm pretty new here but already I feel at home. Thanks to all you guys!