just out of curiosity...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
clovisc

just out of curiosity...

Post by clovisc »

i was wondering about the average age of the average spyderco enthusiast/collector.

i would expect that a passion and taste for spydies would come from a wisdom that only age and first hand experience can bring. i also imagine that in able to afford collecting spydies, one would need a little income and security.

i'm twenty-three, myself, with a relatively new passion for spydies. ALL of my friends think it's "weird" that i'm busy collecting spyderco knives instead of hangovers and concert ticket stubs. the very few people my own age i know who "collect knives" are all still buying cheap, flea-market-quality junk.

anyone care to share their age and/or thoughts?
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

You certainly need an income to buy/use/collect knives.
I'm a 21yo University student. Got my first swiss army knife as a Christmas gift when I was 7-8 and it went downhill from there.

Edit to add: my "wisdom" as you call it, comes from the fact I'm from the country and I spent some time using knives in camping, hunting, fishing when I was a young puppy.
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

BTW, I know quite a few people who show me their cheapo knife made in China when I tell them I'm thinking about a RJ Martin or a Tom Mayo. Well...we all need a passion in life :)
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Well, I'm 24. Only a year older than you. I've been into knives for about 12 years but during my teenage years I was more like your friends who "collect knives." I bought mostly cheap flea market style knives. Except for the Victorinox Swiss Army Knives I bought during those years. I still remember my first decent quality locking folder. It was a Cold Steel Large Voyager(the Large is the 4" blade size). My interest in Spydercos happened within that first year of "knife collecting." I fell in love with the Delica and Endura the first time I saw them at the state gun and knife show my father and I used to attend. Although it was approx. a 6 year wait until I was about 18 that I bought my first Endura. Got my first Delica about a year later. From then I've gone on to buy several others but the Delica and Endura models continue to be my favorite and I never go anywhere without at least one of them in my pocket.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

My "wisdom" if you can call it that comes from the same place as Jimmy Dean's. I also grew up a country boy using knives in the outdoors. I hope some others chime in on this thread soon cuz right now we've got an average age of 22-23. :D
Zrexxer

Post by Zrexxer »

Well, I'll bust that average. I'm 44 and have been carrying knives since my Granddad gave me a Boy Scout knife at the age of 9 or so.

Spyderco is a more recent addition to my collection - I bought my first Spyderco around March of 2002. I'm up to about 35 of them now.
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

Forty two. Wisdom is at times elusive. :)
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

wow -- i'm surprised you're both about my age!

i never considered the "country boy" factor. i've always lived around more urban/suburban environments, where knives usually only make appearances to cut bagels and steaks. (...i suppose this will change dramatically when i begin my peace corps service...).

my interest in knives originally came from the same place as my interest in duct tape and neosporin... working as a musician. it seems like there's ALWAYS something that needs cutting/stripping/prying in a jiffy... and carrying equipment in and out of crummy clubs and bars in bad neighborhoods, often walking great distances to parked vehicles, makes one a pretty fantastic target. it's nice to have a last ditch defense tool, just in case.

hopefully we'll get some people older than us to chime in and bring up the average!
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

37 here :D
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Rob

Post by Rob »

Another young one :D I turned 25 this year.

Cheers, Rob
shabbasuraj

Post by shabbasuraj »

28 years old
hardkiss

Post by hardkiss »

27 here..started w.the cheapos too..my father confiscated all of them when i was young..my very first :spyder: was, and i regret to say "was", the Q..fully serrated..got it for $25..i lost it somehow..i c how much they go on ebay for and it BURNS me up..
Spidernoir

Post by Spidernoir »

40. And I sure as **** don't feel it.

~Jeff
jsholli

keep on pulling the avg down...

Post by jsholli »

25 here...I've loved :spyder: s since my first endura in mid '90s. I have around 20 various spydies now, of which at least 6 are enduras of varying designs. :cool:

I'm not much of a southern asia cultlery fan. My dad has been a custom knife maker for 15+ years--a collector for nearly 50 years :o so, I've naturally always depended on quality knives eg. case, buck, gerber, schrade, leatherman, our own designs, and last but most used, spyderco. [Unless the job at hand was really nasty & abrasive or something that required a near-worthless tool, not a valuable collector piece] ;)

BTW: real country boy here, too--been cuttin' on a lot of stuff over the years, including myself occasionally :eek:
[CENTER]People are contagious by nature---actions & attitudes seem to spread the fastest of all -jh[/CENTER]
i.v

Post by i.v »

21 here, it all started when i needed a knife for the army, bought all kinds of things until i got a delica & fell inlove with it, been going ever since on a zero budget :D

p.s
i'll be a free man (civilian if you will :rolleyes: ) in 20 days!!! yay!!! good bye military!!! i can't believe it's been 3 years!!! :D :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

OMG, I must be in the wrong place! :eek: Will celebrate the fortieth anniversary of my twentieth birthday this year. ;) It's a bit depressing when the oldest guy to post so far is young enough (but probably not ugly enough) to be your son. :o Heck, I've got BVDs older than most of you young pups! :p . Reminds me, I've got to send Peter Jhones my idea for a :spyder: sword cane. :eek:
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DOD-Gixxer

Post by DOD-Gixxer »

15 here. I only own 3 spydies Dodo, Meerkat, Ladybug(arrived today). :cool:
UK KEN

Young'uns

Post by UK KEN »

Hello All!

I'm 46 but feel as old as Paul :eek: Sorry my friend! :p ;) :) !

It is great to see as many younger collectors and users here. I look forward to hearing some fresh :spyder: ideas from you gentlemen ;)

Regards Ken
Slvgx

Post by Slvgx »

I am 21, only got into knives a few months ago. Carried a SAK when I was a cub scout but that's about it until I bought a Delica, Jester, Calypso Jr. and a Cricket in the last few months.
budman1950

Post by budman1950 »

Just when I was trying to feel not too old. I'm 55.