Steel liner versus no liner

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
druid

Steel liner versus no liner

Post by druid »

Do you feel that having a steel liner to back up g-10 scales is necessary. How do you feel about titanium liners, why doesn't spiderco use them. I feel that for some knives like the g-10 native, a single or double skeletonized steel liner might be an improvement. Although it would add bulk and wait and cost. Both of these knives are heavy use with thick possibly overbuilt blades for the liners. Or is g-10 stronger than I think. It seems that for some models the blades might be thicker than they need to be compromising cutting power and flexibility, which might alleviate strain on the handle scales. As anybody broken a g-10 liner would that be covered under warranty, I have not and don't think I would break my handle. Just curious. :)
why
JD Spydo

Night & day

Post by JD Spydo »

Well "Druid" all that I can tell is what I have experienced. I have 2 Renegade with GIN-1 blade steel. One has a liner and one does not. The one that has the liner is twice the knife in my opinion than the linerless one. I like the one with the liner so much I even made it my EDC about 4 months ago and have found nothing to succeed it yet. G-10 is really tough stuff though so please don't take me to be saying that the linerless ones are trash. No they are still good but not as good. For instance my blue PE Dodo is linerless and it is one fine little "do everything" knife. But I will still take preference over the lined versions. :) :spyder: :)
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

The old pro's say G10 can easily stand up to hard use without a metal liner.
I am old, but not a pro but in my experience, G10 has never failed me.
A knife with a metal liner has more heft, which gives a feeling of more strength.

The Military has one nested liner, the Para military has two nested liners. I own both and both preform flawlessly.

I am not afraid of G10 with or without liners.
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

i sa g10 is good, but I like liners better as well.
dialex

Post by dialex »

I think it depends on the knife. While for a big knife, liners are useful (just imagine the Chinook without the liners) :eek: , in the case of a small knife, liners just add useless weight IMO.
It is a proven fact that linerless knives perform as well as the ones with liner(s), and the steel liner was added not for strength reasons, but because of the pocket clip. But this problem was solved (with elegance) at the UK Penknife, so I think we could see other linerless knives. I'd like a G-10 Delica, or a G-10 Navigator made upon this idea.
I preffer (by far) linerless knives. I think it's a secondary effect to EDC-ing a FRN knife. ;)
One nested liner (like the Millie has) is OK too. I never heard complaints regarding the strength of a Military.
Also, all Spyderco knives with compression locks have dual liners. Which is a good thing, those knives have proven themselves to be very strong. However, I think that a single linered knife, made somehow similar to Ed Halligan's KISS (but with the compression lock instead), could perform equally well.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Balazs

Post by Balazs »

That's why the Military never became part of my EDC. I carried it couple time for a few days but I never felt(although I knew, but...) I have something solid in my pocket, I always changed it for a folder with double liners.
dialex

Jonopot Kivanok Balazs!

Post by dialex »

I love the Millie just because it's so big and lightweight ;) Thank God Spyderco has models for each and every taste :D
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Balazs

Post by Balazs »

Thank You, I wish You a pleasant day, too! I feel ashamed, that I couldn't tell this in Roumanian, but I only speak German and try to speak English...

(By the way, is this the correct form for the word "Roumanian"? It was written so in the dictionary, but I'm not sure, if the "u" should be there?)
dialex

Post by dialex »

No problem, my friend. I was fortunate to live several years in Arad (near Bekescsaba) when I was a student and I had the opportunity of learning a few words in Hungarian ;) But without practice, I almost forgot everything :(
I've seen, it's "Romanian", "Roumanian", "Rouman" or even "Romänische", depends on the language. I too am confused sometimes :confused:

BTW, did you see the Szabofly yet? Laci Szabo (szaboinc.com) makes such great knives!
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Dialex.

Hey Balazs. Your english is great, thanx for contributing.

As to liners; would you rather use a high performance 4 wheel drive big USA truck, or a low to the ground high performance sports car?

It really depends on where you are driving.

As Dialex said, we make many models; with and without liners, lock-backs, Walker linerlocks and Chris Reeve style integral locks, ball bearing locks, compression locks, G-10, S30V, AUS-6,8,10. Flat grinds, hollow grinds sabre grinds. clips, hawkbills, lambsfoot, warncliffe. Big knives, small knives....

it is our job to service the desires and needs of our customers, in the areas of safe, reliable high performance.

But....if our market says that a particular model needs to be changed; add a liner, more strength, remove a liner, lighter weight...then we respond.

sal
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

If the compression lock could be done with a single liner I'd love to see one on a G-10 Delica.
nonfactor

Post by nonfactor »

Did the G-10 Rookie come lined or unlined?