New idea for the Delica...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ASmitty

New idea for the Delica...

Post by ASmitty »

Recently, I was thinking back about some of my favorite Spyderco models from days past. Two of those models come to mind more strongly than some of the others. They are the G-10 Rookie and G-10 Standard. Those were great knives. A very classic styling, great size, and the G-10 could stand up to anything. It brought to a brainstorm that I'm sure any of you can guess by reading the title of this thread and what I've written so far. In the spirit of those two classic designs I'd like to see a G-10 handled version of the Delica made. I just was wondering if anyone else would be in favor of supporting this idea with me or if I'm all by myself. Here's to hoping.
rycen

Post by rycen »

good idea except there is little difference in the standard and the delica.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

If a I read your response right that's kind of the point. I'd like to see a new knife that takes the place of those older models but the idea I've suggested makes it the modification of a current model rather than the creation of something entirely new or the resurrection of a discontinued model.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Good idea, but perhaps worth waiting a bit to implement. I have a strong hunch that updated "next generation" Delicas and Enduras, incorporating some of the features of the new Byrd models, are not too far off. IMHO, a G10 version with traction grooved thumb ramp and 50/50 choil would be worth waiting a bit for.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dialex

I'm in

Post by dialex »

I'd love a G-10 Delica, but linerless (with a wireclip a la UK Penknife). :D
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

I like the wire clip idea. I think it's a huge improvement over previous clip designs. I'm also all for the linerless idea but I wonder would the lockback work effectively with no liners?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ASmitty wrote:I like the wire clip idea. I think it's a huge improvement over previous clip designs. I'm also all for the linerless idea but I wonder would the lockback work effectively with no liners?
G10 handled lockbacks work just fine without liners. The single liner was added due to problems with the screws for the three screw style clip stripping out of the G10. The UK Penknife style wire clip, with its single "thru-bolt" mounting, eliminates that issue and thus the only real "need" for a liner. Only "problem" is that it only works really well for tip up carry. You can make the pivot bolt do double duty to allow tip down, but at the expense of a very high ride. Then again, some prefer that, for ease of draw. On my carry pieces I take the clips off anyway, so it's really a non-issue for me.
Paul
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha ASmitty!

Ooh...I'd definitely be in for a G10 Delica AND Endura. I mean...why not? They made a Harpy and Police outta G10...I think they owe it to their two star attractions to dress them up in G10!!! ;)

God bless!!!
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
dialex

Full flat grind

Post by dialex »

I wonder how a G-10 Delica with a full flat grind blade would look like... :cool:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha Alexandru the Great!

Okay...show us already will ya?! :D

God bless you bro! ;)

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

dialex wrote:I wonder how a G-10 Delica with a full flat grind blade would look like... :cool:
Sounds good to me Alex, but we might as well go for broke... 50/50 choil, full flat grind, full width spine, 14mm :spyder: hole, and fine cut traction grooves on ramp and choil.
Paul
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha Paul!

Can YOU show us?! :D

God bless you bro! ;)

Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

dialex - it would probably look similar to the paramillie - i recently got mine (thanks again to the spydercrew) and have begun to think of it as a superdelica
similar size blade but it has a slightly larger thicker handle, thicker flat ground blade, CPMS30V, and g10, oh and a compression lock too
only real difference is the shape of the handle - and it rides tip down RHS only
Delica_Nut

G-10 Delica

Post by Delica_Nut »

I thought I saw a G-10 Delica on Ebay some time back. But I didn't bid, because I thought it was a Standard model. But who knows what will come down the pike.
Shiden

Post by Shiden »

dialex wrote:I wonder how a G-10 Delica with a full flat grind blade would look like... :cool:
Ehm, like a Calypso Jr. ;)

Still love your Dialica, Dialex. (Sal, this is a hint) :D

Shiden
bell

Delica still rules

Post by bell »

Would love to see a linerless G-10 Delica with wire clip.
Clubkey

Post by Clubkey »

I have carried a G-10 Rookie as my EDC for about the past 10 years and wish the Spyderco folks would bring it back into production. Mine has done everything from gutting deer to cutting wire and has never failed me yet. Don't get me wrong I sure do love my Delicas, but that G-10 Rookie is my all time favorite.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Is your G-10 Rookie linerless? Great piece, anyway. I'd like it back into production, even as a limited run (say, ZDP-189 and S30V?) ;)
Clubkey

Post by Clubkey »

Dialex,

No, the G-10 Rookie that I own has a liner and though somewhat heavier than my Delica's it has a more solid feel. The blade steel is the ATS-55 and remains very sharp even after heavy cutting. Some simple steeling usually brings it back to shaving sharp very quickly. :spyder:
Slvgx

Post by Slvgx »

Dialex can you post this "Dialica" that I keep hearing about? I swear I've checked your website like 10x and I never see it. I like a bunch of the designs, but everyones favorite seems to be the "Dialica" and I've yet to see your version!