gritsize of spyderco benchstones

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kwak

gritsize of spyderco benchstones

Post by kwak »

Does anyone know the exact gritsize of the Spyderco Benchstones in Medium,Fine and Ultrafine ?
This would be of help to me, as i need this info for a client who is a professional ice-skater and he is discovering our beloved brand :) also, in this case for sharpening his ice-skates.
Thanks in advance.
jaxon

Post by jaxon »

Sal? ;)

Jaxon
Live to Ride....Ride to Live
sal

Post by sal »

grit measurement on ceramic does not work like regular abrasives.

the particle size is 15 microns. The grit is the result of the firing processes.

Medium, fine and ultra fine. ;)

sal
HoB

Post by HoB »

Try this for a qualitative comparison. My own experiences reflect a similar grading.

http://208.63.68.209/SharpenGuide.htm#Grit
Easyrider

Post by Easyrider »

Just for the record I love my fine Spyderco benchstone.
LJK

Cool Website

Post by LJK »

HoB:
Thanks for posting the site on Japanese swords. Very interesting stuff. I've surfed around for sword info, but never found anything even close to as good
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

sal wrote: the particle size is 15 microns. The grit is the result of the firing processes.
Did not know that]
Medium, fine and ultra fine. ;)
sal[/QUOTE]
The same goes for the Sharpmaker Hones right?
John AKA Knife Knut on a shoestring budget.
HoB

Post by HoB »

Not really knife knut.
Imagine you take the individual particles and have them melting so they start running together and filling the voids in between the individual particles, but not completely. While in open structure sintering (firing) the voids are still (partially) connected among each other, each void is isolated (for the lack of a better description) in closed structure sintering. The grays are open structure, the whites are closed structure. The grid size is really difficult to define (other than emperical) as it would be defined by how prominent the "ridges" of the partially melted particles, that have run into each other, are, how deep they are, how closely spaced, what shape they are, etc.... If you have access to a library, just flip through a text book on sintering. They usually show some micrographs (SEMs or similar) of differently sintered structures at different stages of the sintering process. By the way CPM steel is essentially a sintered material as well.