79mm Rescue??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spydiefan04

79mm Rescue??

Post by Spydiefan04 »

I love :spyder: but I hate Combo edge blades, I prefer to use PE blades as much as possible and when something really tough to cut comes along break out a serrated knife. My EDC is a PE FRN delica, not changing that.

So my question is as a 2nd knife to carry should I get a serrated delica or a 79mm rescue, both are available at same price, same bladesteel. I once stabbed myself (accidentially) with my SE endura and to keep carry small I want to stay with delica sized blade. What are the pro's con's of each, and does anybody EDC a 79mm rescue solo and if so what do you think of it???????????? :spyder: :)
klattman

Post by klattman »

Since you already have a pointy blade on you, the second knife doesn't need such a point. I would get the rescue in full SE.

Not having a point will get you close to belts or clothing for emergency situations and for rough jobs, the tip is just in danger of being stressed anyway, so with a sheepsfoot blade (like the rescue) you can apply more pressure to the serrated edge.

Also, I think the rescue (semi-finger choils) has a better handle then the delica.

But that's only if it is your second carry. I wouldn't want full serrations on a lone carry knife, PE is just more useful.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Definitely the Rescue. My best friend EDCs a 79mm Rescue and loves it. He likes having a non-threatening blade to use at work and it's been a dream according to him. Plus, the fact that you're using the serrated edge for heavier cutting it will help to have a blade that is thicker towards the tip like the rescue.
credit

Post by credit »

wht don't they have a ss rescue 79mm with a whistle
Spydiefan04

Post by Spydiefan04 »

Thanks for the info guys, I think I'll get one with a nice Blue handle to ride in opposite pocket of my Delica. I've actually been considering replacing my Delica with a Calypso JR., Vesuvius, or Native (don't have any one of the three currently). Any thoughts on any of those in PE vs. the Delica PE teamed up w/ 79mm rescue for EDC?? The PE will def be used for slicing and lighter stuff the Rescue would see any and all of the rougher cutting work. Thanks for all the help. :) :spyder:
OutofGum

Post by OutofGum »

Don't know much about the Vesuvius, but the Calypso and Native can definitely handle much of the rougher stuff you might throw at it. Especially the native in s30v. Personally I love the design, look, and feel of the Calypso - that would be my choice.
To the pessimist the glass is half empty, to the optimist the glass is half full, to the engineer its twice as big as it needs to be.
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

credit wrote:wht don't they have a ss rescue 79mm with a whistle
credit, interesting thought. Recently I'd been looking at the ritter mini-rsk and was wondering what :spyder: ie compared. The 79mm Rescue is very close (size wise). If it were Flat grind PE and a whistle it would be a great combo for scouts. On the whistle, the one like the assist is in FRN and probably wouldn't adapt to a SS model well.
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
klattman

Post by klattman »

Spydiefan04 wrote:Thanks for the info guys, I think I'll get one with a nice Blue handle to ride in opposite pocket of my Delica. I've actually been considering replacing my Delica with a Calypso JR., Vesuvius, or Native (don't have any one of the three currently). Any thoughts on any of those in PE vs. the Delica PE teamed up w/ 79mm rescue for EDC?? The PE will def be used for slicing and lighter stuff the Rescue would see any and all of the rougher cutting work. Thanks for all the help. :) :spyder:
I'm glad I nabbed one of the blue ones in time as well. Very nice! I love the thick design with full SS sheepsfoot. A perfect compliment to my PE (CalyJr) blade.

(Actually I would like to see a dyad or mini-dyad in blue FRN and VG10 somehow come about, hint hint)
Or even:

DYAD/mini_dyad: Blue FRN, blades in VG10, One PE blade and one full serrated hawk blade!!!
credit

Post by credit »

why not go with the pro grip half way between the two with regard to point and about the same size. My favorite is in SS and a combo blade. Soon to be Sante fe'd
edzag

Post by edzag »

I have my Rescue 93mm (full serration old version w/plastic clip) on me almost all the time along with different plain folders. I carry it for this kind of emergency situation that I hope not to be involved in.
Ed
edzag
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Finally got around to getting a 79mm Rescue. It's a great knife. Unless you really need "point" for something, it comes of the winner in when compared to the FRN Delica.
  • Larger thumb hole for ease of opening
  • Grooved thumb ramp for greater control
  • 50/50 choil for a greater variety of usable grips
  • Non-threatening appearace
  • Reduced risk of unintentional puctures.
Just hoping now that the short run of PE 93's sell like hotcakes, then maybe I can convince Sal we "need" a run of the 79mm in PE. :cool: :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
credit

It's on sale

Post by credit »

C45BL
DISCONTINUED MSRP $68.95
SALE $34.95

Reasons we offer smaller knives are numerous but essentially people's hands come in different sizes and we occasionally find ourselves in social situations that dictate use of a smaller blade. Many think smaller versions of the same model are simply shrunk down. Not so. For every design to reach its utmost level of ergonomic comfort and maximum performance we often take features and engineer/rework them into a more diminutive pattern. An example is our 79mm version of the Rescue Model. More info...
Goldtanker

Post by Goldtanker »

I bought two when they were closing them out at the local Sportsman's Warehouse. One in my truck and one in my wife's car. Great value.
"They've got us surrounded again ... the poor bastards." - Gen. Creighton Abrams
Spyderco WTC#1394 and #2305