Screws vs. Rivets

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ASmitty

Screws vs. Rivets

Post by ASmitty »

I've been thinking about this for awhile and finally decided to post about it on here. I love Spyderco. I don't go anywhere with out my Delica in pocket. I just gave my Dad a Cricket and my best friend a Salt for Christmas. One thing I've noticed about the lightweight Clipits is that after a couple of years the rivet used as the pivot pin has a tendency to develop some lateral looseness resulting in some blade play. Now, this isn't a huge problem for me because although I do give my knife a workout it's not anything abusive or that would cause it to break full on, it's just a very slight irritation. I was wondering what you all think of the idea of moving from rivets in the lightweight models to adjustable screws as the pivot pin. It would make it easy to correct any looseness that works its way in and would keep the knife functioning like new for many years longer. I think it would be a sound idea and I would gladly be willing to pay a slightly higher price for these models to see this included on it.

Just my two cents worth.
RLR

Post by RLR »

Screws fall out; rivets don't. That's what I learned once with a Benchmade (which I still love, BTW, my 942 and Grip are awesome). I reached into my pocket, opened the knife and sproing, out fell the blade. Well. Had that happened in the woods, with survival playing a part, I'd have been angry. And I wasn't carrying a torx driver. And I lost the screw. Now rivets don't fall out. If it's loose, then put one end of the rivet on an anvil and tap the other with a hammer, lightly. You'll tighten it back up.

I love being able to take apart a knife to clean and work on, but under extreme circumstances, rivets will prevail.
druid

Post by druid »

This is a thought-provoking and on one side, I believe that for most people taking apart a spiderco is a bad idea, the tolerances are just too small thing the washers back in undamaged is often difficult. I try very hard not to do it anymore. It also avoids the warranty, which I largely agree with. However I did have a meercat that developed some play., that I hadn't thought of a way to fix of the time. On the other hand I have A G 10 native that I don't think we'll ever slipped loose, I honestly believe that rivets for a good idea principally because they do not allow disassemble, but one more point that assure summit will bring up. Is that liner locks work well with an eccentric pivot to extend lock life, although for me at just involved premature playing with the lock.
why
ahardb0dy

Post by ahardb0dy »

on my rescue model with the plastic handle, I removed the pivot and replaced it with a small screw with a nylock nut, it works fine except it isn't the exact same diameter of the original pin. I did this for easier cleaning, at the time I was working construction installing water mains and was always getting dirt in the knife. Using the nylock nut I never had a problem with the screw becoming loose.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi ASmitty and AhardbOdy, welcome to the Spyderco forum and thanx for the support.

We're currently considering adjustable pivots on the next Endura & Delica.

sal
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

Sal that would be a welcomed upgrade.

As far as taking it apart voiding the warranty, I think it is hogwash. Unless it is an auto you should be able to take it apart to clean it and what not.
druid

Post by druid »

The spiderco warranty simply does not cover damage caused by or incorrect disassembly/reassembly. My apologies.
why
RLR

Post by RLR »

If you don't know what you're doing, don't take anything apart. If you are adept, then go ahead, and don't worry about warranty. These aren't cars, you can buy a new one if you REALLY screw it up.
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

I mean come on how hard is it to take apart and put back together? very, very simple.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

That's great to hear Sal, if the decision is made to use adjustable pivots I'll be anxiously awaiting the release and will buy a new Endura and Delica at the first release.
Davy

Post by Davy »

Hello guys

I think adjustable pivots would be possible, but I still like my endura BECAUSE of its simplicity!!! and that includes those simple rivets :)

anyways, about making endura's so that it's possible to take 'em apart.....I don't think so.
Last week I tried to take apart a lockback (a Nieto...not so bad of a knife) and it was **** to put them back together again. It's not easy to get the backspring in the richt postion and once u think you got it.....the lock seems to work badly that way...trying again and again and again...
Finally, now it works again and I'm not gonna take it apart anymore.

So I suppose people who try to dissasemble their endua/delica/native.... well, most of them won't do it twice :) :)

(PS: I have assembled my axis locks, linerlocks...without any problem)

Happy newyear to ya all!
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha ALL!

Ooh...I dunno...I prefer rivets for my pivots...As davy said, the simplicity factor. Also, as RLR said, screws can fall out.

God bless!

OTOH...texture the cusp and FULL flat grind the Endura/Delica...I'd be on it!!! ;)
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
wotanson

Yes!

Post by wotanson »

An adjustable pivot screw on the Delica/Endura would be sweet!!! :D Sal please please please make the improvement! I personaly would never attempt to take a knife apart, I'm not that clever, Cheers Rob
HOW BOUT THEM RED SOX!!
ODIN, GUIDE MY SWORD TO ETERNAL VICTORY!
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

a little loctite fixes the screw falling out problem.
Easyrider

Post by Easyrider »

I prefer screws over rivets any day! With screws I can disassemble and reassemble knives for cleaning and a little Locktite takes care of any loose screws.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Exactly, lock-tite will cure all of those problems with screws falling out. Never had that happen when I used lock-tite on the screw and kept it securely fastened in so that it was not loose.