Has broken Spyderco Persian :-(

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DeMoN

Has broken Spyderco Persian :-(

Post by DeMoN »

"When I play with my Persian, I accidentally drop it down on a hardwood flour. Tip down - result is here."
Can you help dal1? Is it under warranty? This is hard wood not an concrete.

"http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... p?t=324675"
Attachments
break.jpg
break.jpg (10.17 KiB) Viewed 2591 times
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

DeMoN

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum. Sorry you had an accident with your Persian.

Warranty covers defects in manufacturing or materials - not accidental damage. Therefore, I would doubt it would be covered by Spyderco's warranty.

I'm sure however that Spyderco's Warranty and Repair department could regrind the tip. It would be a little shorter but look much better.

Your knife might have faired better if you had dropped it on concrete. The tip can stick into the hardwood on an angle and the weigh of the knife will snap it off. Concrete might have damaged the tip but without so much broken off.

David
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
HoB

Post by HoB »

I agree with 4 s ter: You were "knife throwing" with your Persian :D . Sorry...but I don't think it is that bad. There was recently a similar post and it seemed confirmed that Spyderco can get you a new blade for a grand total of $25. Sorry to see a Spydie in such a poor state. (Would keep the blade though and regrind it myself as a beater blade).

I dropped a Yojimbo tip down not too long ago. I was quite worried about the tip, but thankfully it survived it unharmed. But instead of going into the carpeted woodfloor, it went straight through my pants into my leg :rolleyes: and left a pretty impressiv cut.
Sword and Shield

Post by Sword and Shield »

Howdy Demon! Welcome to }{Land.

I would advise sending it to Spyderco for regrinding. If the price is too much for you, then you could reprofile the tip with a file or Dremel tool and a coarse stone.
I am a man. But I can change. If I have to. I guess...-- The Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge #11.
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

Do you mean that warranty does not cover this because they consider this as a throwing? Well then it should be warning somwhere - "Handle with care". Usually you do not expect this from the knife blade, it is not fine china or glass this is steel (am I right?)!

On my opinion steel was overhardened and too brittle, and this is defenetly "defects in manufacturing or materials". I will be very surprized if Sal will not cover this. I very doubt that it is OK for Spyderco knives to be like glass.

Thanks, Vassili.
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

nozh2002

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

I'm sure that HoB was just equating the damage from the drop and stick into the floor with the same type of damage which can result from throwing the knife.

I've broken the tip off a knife in exactly the same way DeMoN did. Nothing was wrong with the knife but the tip is the thinnest and most fragile part of the blade. Side pressure can easily snap a tip off a defect-free knife.

DeMoN can send the knife back to Spyderco to take a look at. I'm sure they would take a close look at it if he sent it in for regrinding also.

The bottom line is that this is not an uncommon type of knife accident. Not necessarily indicative of a material or manufacturing defect.

David
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
fret

Post by fret »

A friendly word of caution.Grinding done with a Dremel type tool or electric grinder may possibly damage the blade temper. Even using a file too harshly could do damage. It would be best to send the knife to Spyderco and let the experts do the work. This is my opinion from my experiences with Dremel type tools and electric grinders. They are ok for most jobs but on a knife blade, well...I've seen some good knife blades ruined by the person doing the grinding.
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

I have enough knives to say that broken tip is not common accident. Also I am participating in several knife forums here and in Russia for about two years and I remember only one other accident reported - Ganting. For myself - I have only one less then 1mm tip broken on Custom Buck 110 with BG-42 - but it happen when I intentionaly stab it into the wood, to check how strong tip is.

Let's wait what Sal will say or somebody from Spyderco. Quality knife should survive accidental drop on the wooden flour and this is different then throwing or stubbing - much less power involved.

I have Delica, Native, Dragonfly and Manix and all of them OK so far.

Thanks, Vassili.
HoB

Post by HoB »

I would imagine that stabbing into wood would result in much less damage than dropping it into wood. In a stab you usually try to avoid lateral force. The force along the blade, even though it is much higher, is not going to do damage.

There was this stupid test recently that resulted in a picture of broken blades of an ATR, a BM and Boker, while the Tanto tips of a Strider, Emerson and CRKT survived....but barely. Those blades were clamped into a vice 1 inch from the tip and loaded with 200 N which amounts to about 20 kg or 45 pounds. That is not a lot and can probably be generated in the sudden deacceleration of an impact by a heavy handle. A FRN handle is probably much less likely to cause damage under the same circumstances, but the Persian isn't exactly a light knife. Also I doubed that much would happen if the tip comes down across the grain of the wood or into end grain, but if the tip slips right in between the grain, it is probably just like clamping the tip into a vice.
denn

Post by denn »

sorry to hear that demon, but stuff like that happens with pointy knives. what probably happened is that when you dropped it the tip penetrated the wooden floor at a slight angle, and the combined forces of the knife falling and toppling on to its side broke the tip off. :rolleyes:

i'm not sure if this is a warranty-issue, since it basically involves carelessness/abuse. my advice would be to fix it your yourself and end up with a slightly shorter Persian: draw the blade-tip along the belly on a coarse sharpening stone until you have a pointy tip again; sharpen a new edge on that now blunted part with the same coarse stone. finish the edge with medium or fine grit stone. good luck. ;)
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

Sorry at your misfortune. It sounds like an unusual accident. There are trade-offs in steel and design in all knives. The Persian tip is small and hard and sharp. One of my Persian customers has repeatedly stabbed aluminum sheeting without damage. An accidental drop as described with a knife as heavy as the Persian will lead to good penetration, unfortunately the line of force was not straight and lead to the damage. A knife that has a stronger or softer tip might not break, but it will not perform the same as the Persian. Please inspect your floor where the knife dropped and remove the chard, it might injure someones foot. If you return the knife for repairs it will be fixed properly at a nominal cost. Mikey and Del in the factory a very good craftsmen, and will give you a good regrind, these guys are focused professionals. I have been a serious knife user most of my life and am delighted to work with a company that has and pursues high standards. The Spyderco line is incredible in terms of quality, I'm honored to work with these folks. The Syderco Persian is a very good value, the best materials and the best construction. I haven't seen many pieces the come close to the quality for the price. Please send the knife in for repairs and return to using the piece, I think that this tip problem once solved with regrinding will give you performance that will be pleasing. Thanks for your support...Take Care...Ed Schempp
sal

Post by sal »

Hello Vasili.

I will have to see the knife, rockwell the blade, look at the tip under a glass. Then I can offer my opinion. I cannot evaluate the steel or heat treat with second hand information.

If the mfg quality is at fault, we will cover it. It is our policy. If the quality is up to our standards, we will still try to take care of the customer, it is our philosophy.

I do not wish to argue on the forum, especially without seeing the knife. Have you seen the knife?

We make a good knife, we offer a fair warrantee.

sal
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Hi Sal,

You said...
"We make a good knife, we offer a fair warrantee."

AND that is why we buy your knives!!

Stuart
sal

Post by sal »

Hello again Vassili.

If Dal1 can get the knife to us, we'll try our best to please.

sal