Any Salsa Fans Out There?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Gibsoniam

Any Salsa Fans Out There?

Post by Gibsoniam »

Hi all. :)

The title says it all, I'm just curious if there are any Salsa fans out there. I don't see it mentioned too much around here. I've got a Black Aluminum Salsa that I carry every so often, I find it to be quite a good performer and utility knife.

The only reason I don't carry it all the time is I prefer my ever-so-reliable and wickedly sharp Calypso Jr.--which I hope some day to replace with a UK Pen Knife (crossing fingers) :D

Michael
Sacramento, CA
Senate

Post by Senate »

I like the salsa very much, very sheeple friendly...
Though I didn't like the pepper on the handle so I only got 2 versions that came without it, the Ti and the Black "mistake".
still have to find the rasberry :)
talonturbo

Post by talonturbo »

Hey guys. I used to have a grey one, and really liked it. Last I know it's in Daywalker's hands now. That knife sold me on the compression lock, as well as the cobra hood. And yes, very sheeple friendly. It was extremely well made, but I didn't like a couple things. It was wide, and because of the clip design, it sorta stuck halfway out your pocket if clipped to, let's say, the side pocket of sweat pants. And the blade design was a pro/con, very wide and sturdy, but not much Spyderco tip to get a cut started into packaging. And last, but not least, that chili pepper logo would have looked better on the box, not on an otherwise asthetically pleasing knife.
Gibsoniam

Salsas and Peppers

Post by Gibsoniam »

I agree with the pepper logo, that's the main reason why I waited for the black aluminum edition (without the pepper). I believe the black Salsas with the pepper are the errors, not the ones lacking the pepper. Of course, by "waiting" I mean I was hoping Spyderco would make one without the pepper, as I wasn't sure if they would or not.

The two things I would change with the Salsa, if I could, would be to make the blade a little narrower (I like the feel of the handle just fine) and repositioning of the wire clip to ride better overall in the pocket.

Oh, and a removeable cobra hood would be good, too. I know I can remove the one there now, but it creates an aesthetically unpleasing and physically uncomfortable ledge on the back of the blade. :eek:

I hear there's a revision in the works, perhaps some our "ideas" will be incorporated. Here's to the old Salsa, and to the new Salsa! :)

Michael
Sacramento, CA
"Home of the Governator" :cool:
Zrexxer

Post by Zrexxer »

Oh ****, I LOVE the pepper :D Maybe you folks out West and up North just don't appreciate good hot salsa like we do in Texas ;) It's got to have jalapeños, baby. lol. Not to mention that it's a clever pun on Sal's name. I've got a green and a blue, I'd love to find a PE Cranberry one next.
fret

Post by fret »

Tho I don't have the Salsa yet, I do plan on getting one. I like the looks of them and the lock style. They are kind of cute too with the little "eyebrow" and pepper.
dialex

Post by dialex »

I love the Salsa myself. It has a few features I'm very fond of (compression lock, cobra hood, wire clip and open construction). It's a bit too broad for my taste, hopefully the Salsa II will be narrower. The pepper is a nice addition, but I'd preffer G-10 instead of aluminium (nevel liked aluminium) ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I like the Salsa as well, my Ti Salsa has been a very loyal, practical and sheeple friendly travel knife for several years. The Cranberry PE Salsa is a gem too, even though it is lefty unfriendly. I have two gripes with the design, remove the sharp corner on the handle right above the pivot pin, and give me just a bit more point to the blade. I will certainly look forward to the rumored Salsa II.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

Darth,
Another salsa fan. I have my Ti in pocket today. It alternates with the calypso Jr Ltwt in the office. One of my sons has a Blue one. They work very well for tasks I've asked of it. One summer I took it to summer camp and cut up a watermelon with it. I thought that I saw the Ti one discontinued next year. May have to pick up another for the future.
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

Zrexxer wrote:Not to mention that it's a clever pun on Sal's name.
Darn, I never thought of that. How slow can a guy be!
-Dean
Bill in Brookly

Post by Bill in Brookly »

I picked up a blue Salsa (my first Spydie) when they went on sale a while back. I love it. I use it at work roughly a dozen times a day and I'm very hard on a blade yet after two months it still hasn't required sharpening. The blue color makes it people friendly in the corporate environment I work in and the short blade makes it very legal (I work in NYC).

I'm most impressed with the grip, I have extremely large hands, to the point where my shooting buddy has commented that a full-size 1911 looks like a toy in my hands, and this is the only "small" knife that I've ever owned that isn't awkward for me to handle. I absolutely love it and can't wait to get my next Spyderco (A Spyderfly for sure).

My only complaint, same as someone else mentioned, the position of the clip makes the knife stick out a bit too far from the top of my pants making it not only noticible, but a bit uncomfortable when I'm sitting in my chair.

Bill in Brooklyn
Gibsoniam

SALsa

Post by Gibsoniam »

I wondered about the potential reference to Sal with the name as well. Maybe Carlos can let us know if Sal designed this knife or not? It is reminiscent, to me anyway, of a less tactical Lil Temperance.

And, if its true that the Titanium is discontinued, I might have to pick one up, too. A friend had one, though, and said it opened "inadvertently" very easily. Apparently it didn't hold closed as snugly as some of the other versions. Anyone else notice anything like that with the Ti? The only "accidental" opening I've ever experienced is if the Cobra Hood gets caught on the edge of my pocket.

Michael
Sacramento, CA
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Hey bill in brooklyn, where are you in brooklyn? I think both the AL and the TI were discontinued
Bill in Brookly

Post by Bill in Brookly »

GarageBoy wrote:Hey bill in brooklyn, where are you in brooklyn?
Clinton Hill ... right in front of the Navy Yard under the BQE. You in the BK too?

Bill
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

The Salsa is excellent. I have the cranberry version (it's Salsa, so it should be red! ;) ), which, while having a righty-only clip, is so good that I don't care. The knife locks into my hand and cuts very well.

Were I to get another, I'd want the clip to be ambidextrous (like the black Salsas), but have it ride lower in the pocket (like the Dodo or, better yet, the Meerkat). More people realize I'm carrying a knife when I carry the Salsa than when I carry a huge honking folder like a Vaquero Grande or ER Nemesis. :eek:
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
Easyrider

Post by Easyrider »

[quote="Zrexxer"]Oh ****, I LOVE the pepper :D Maybe you folks out West and up North just don't appreciate good hot salsa like we do in Texas ]

Us people out west here in New Mexico can appreciate good hot salsa! The first question when you enter the state is "Do you want green or red chile on that?"

:D
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

The Salsa is a great "Office" knife. It's people frendly, but the sturdy blade allows you to cut hard material. It's thin and slips in there real nice.

I have the Ti Salsa and it's heavy enough to feel like a real knife. I cut boxes string and slice up my lunch apple. I keep it shaving sharp. Yes, love that Salsa.
druid

Post by druid »

I just got my new salsa in blue aluminum combination edge couple of hours I always have a little bit of buyer's remorse. This seems to be a different kind of knife. Fit my hands well, as long as I don't try to strangle in the fighters grip. The combination edge probably creates a minuscule weak spot at the seriation that comes directly before the plane edge. But I'm sure this will never become a problem, this would have been solved by chisel grinding but this is a less popular and less practical in my opinion way of doing things. I don't mind the Cobrahood like to do without it. I really like the fact that it has a wire clip that will no scrape up against furniture. I like the salsa pepper and think it is very attractively done. I like having a compression lock knife the love having a wire clip knife and for $42 a really couldn't pass up and shouldn't have.
why
voxnaes

Post by voxnaes »

I LOVE THE SALSA!!!!!! :D -and the pepper logo on ém :p
I have had 4... My Ti never made it all the way (Custom police melted it along with a bunch of other Spydies :( ) so I´ve actually only tried my 3 alu.´s. I only have my green one that I got as a gift from Swede left and I still dream of owning a Ti version for real.....
Vox.