My poor Military, please HELP!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
maxfior

My poor Military, please HELP!

Post by maxfior »

Hello all, I'm a newbie to this forum, but not the knives. I've had many spyders and by far my 5 year old military (CPM 440V) has been an amazing knife, the only problem is when I dropped it while working. I was about 6 feet off the ground standing on a table cutting networking cable when she slipped out of my hand. So now I am left with a large chip missing from the tip of the blade :mad: . Please check out the links that I provided if you want to, both in high res and low res. Is this something that I can get fixed, or should I hit up ebay and look for a new one. I'm quite sick to my stomach.
---
HERE are the links:
(low resolution): http://www.maxfior.com/spyderco/low/
(high resolution): http://www.maxfior.com/spyderco/high/
---
Any insight would be great, thanks all! :)

Max
dialex

Post by dialex »

Sorry to hear about your problems. This shouldn't happen to a knife :(
I think that someone with minimal skills could reshape the blade to a blunt tip style or even a tanto one, but I'd get myself another Millie. Now they come in S30V, which is amazing (not that 440V wouldn't be a great steel anyway).
You could also check the W&R dept. at Spyderco, maybe they can replace the blade for a minimal charge.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
maxfior

Post by maxfior »

dialex wrote:Sorry to hear about your problems. This shouldn't happen to a knife :(
I think that someone with minimal skills could reshape the blade to a blunt tip style or even a tanto one, but I'd get myself another Millie. Now they come in S30V, which is amazing (not that 440V wouldn't be a great steel anyway).
You could also check the W&R dept. at Spyderco, maybe they can replace the blade for a minimal charge.
The blade reshaping might be a good idea... I was checking out the all black military, that looks really nice. I guess I'll have to be more careful next time and I'll have to send an email to the W&R dept. Good thinking. Would it be hard to shape the blade my self, err, maybe I should leave it to the pro's! haha! :D

M.
rycen

Post by rycen »

W&R can help you but you would be better off going with a new millie.
mrd74

Post by mrd74 »

Grind it from the spine down to the edge and make it a spearpoint but don't overheat the blade.If you were in Canada I'd do it for you.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I would try and see how much it would cost to get it repaired, and start saving up for a new one anyway. Getting a new spydie is almost as much fun as using one. Your ordeal does remind me to start using lanyards. I'm not admonishing you, this sort of thing just happens and I can really imagine this sort of thing happening to me as well, that's why.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
JD Spydo

Tormek

Post by JD Spydo »

Well " Maxfior" try to find someone who has a Tormek grinder. I have one myself. It is a water cooled grinder that you could re-shape the blade without the fear of ruining the steel. There are other grinders on the market in which the grinding stone is constantly dipped in water. Plus they do an exceptional finish job as well. :) :spyder: :)
Blades

Post by Blades »

OW! :eek:
Maybe a laynard on your next Military?? :)

Blades
RLR

Post by RLR »

See my topic on the Wharncliff SPOT. I am NOT a knifemaker, just a patient man with good sharpening skills. Get a Bastard file, get the general shape of a blade back by filing down the spine to the blade edge. Then use a coarse stone to round out the rough metal, then fine, then automotive sandpaper if you want it to look nice. You'll get a perfect sheepsfoot and the strongest tip ever! My Dad broke the tip off an FRN Cricket and I hand ground it to a nice belly blade. It's long, but rewarding. Plus, if you screw up, who cares - the knife was originally broken! Now go grind!
Wiz Kid

Post by Wiz Kid »

I would go through the Spyderco warranty department. I believe for $25.00 they can regrind the blade or if the break is really bad they can replace the blade for a fee as well. I wouldn't grind the blade yourself because it could void your warranty as a non-spyderco alteration. Give Amanda in Warranty a call and she can help you.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Last I heard and if they still have some 440V blades they can replace the blade for 25.00.
Also if you check blade forums and knife forums a ex cond used Military can be had for as low as 65.00 shipped.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Heres a link to a S30V 50/50 for 70.00 on knifeforums
http://www.knifeforums.com/ubbthreads/s ... Post525427
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Senate

Post by Senate »

it's weird that the blade broke just by hitting the ground... even if it was 6 feet off the ground, maybe it had something wrong in its inner structure.
maxfior

Post by maxfior »

Wow, this Forum is GREAT!!! Thanks for all the help! I think I'll give Spyderco a call and then maybe pick up another military for a spare. But you all know how it is, you love your 5 year (or older knife) and hate to break in another one... My military has seen a lot of miles and it's always at my side, even now with the broken tip.... I really like the all black model... hmm, decisions, decision... Thanks again for all your help! :D

Max
Civilian

Post by Civilian »

Senate wrote:it's weird that the blade broke just by hitting the ground... even if it was 6 feet off the ground, maybe it had something wrong in its inner structure.
The tip broke on mine from only like 4 feet. Much less of the tip than his though, only a couple of mm's. :eek:
MAT :spyder: TER
Just-American
WTC#1511
"Hunt You Down All Nightmare Long!"
"Civilian Lovers appreciate nice curves" insp. by Dr. Snubnose
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

Regrind it into a tanto blade.
Senate

Post by Senate »

Civilian wrote:The tip broke on mine from only like 4 feet. Much less of the tip than his though, only a couple of mm's. :eek:
Totally agree that a tip can be broken but on Maxfior's Millie, 1 or 2 cm, it's not the tip anymore... ;)
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

killed the tip on my millie a few times now over 2yrs... even chipped the edge a few times.

just pulled my BM 921 out of the roll today and have to fix the tip on it again.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
maxfior

Post by maxfior »

LOL! Looks like it is hard to keep a TIP nice these days... HA! I tried to call W&R about some info, but it looks like they were busy today... left a message. I'll call sometime tomorrow and keep everyone posted. Thanks again for all the posts people! :D

M.
LJK

Should be Warranty

Post by LJK »

Bummer. It pains me to see any spydie broken like that. It really seems to me a well made knife should not snap apart like that, even from a six foot drop. This really should be covered under warranty. No? A drop is not abuse? I would love to hear Sals thoughts on a knife breaking just from being dropped.