Lecter + Harpy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
loki88

Lecter + Harpy

Post by loki88 »

Lecters tool of the trade ! :)
Attachments
hopkins.jpg
hopkins.jpg (9.81 KiB) Viewed 5657 times
Hannibal Lecter

Quite...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

It was exactly this that inspired me to begin collecting Spyderco knives. My first Spydie was a Harpy, as might be expected. Since then there have been other additions, including the Spyderhawk and Matriarch.

I need a Civilian to kind of "round things out," so to speak. :cool:
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
ErinMT

Post by ErinMT »

LOL, I accually came here just now to start a thread all about what knives besides the harpy would Hannibal Lecter carry.

I wish Sal and "The Team" ;) would release a special HL harpy. Just like the one in the movie and have Sir Hopkins sign a decorative box in which the blade would be held. Maybe even do a scan of his Sig and laser engrave it onto the blade?

Anyways, :spyder: s do you think HL would pack ala EDC? Kerambit, Manix, Dodo?
loki88

Post by loki88 »

i don't think it's a good idea to make an connection between a product and a mass murdering psychopath who eats his victims with fava beans! Although there seems to be a lot of people who became :spyder: collectors after watching the movie, i didn't realise that H.B. used a :spyder: untill reading about in here. I also don't think there is a market for a "jeffrey Dahmer" Spyderco knife.
Simona

Post by Simona »

loki, hehe, i think, this is not so hot, its virtual movie character only, so ..
Who is Jeffrey Dahmer?

Sir Anthony Hopkins alias Dr.Hannibal Lecter 1024x769
Hannibal Lecter

I was afraid this might happen...

loki88 wrote:i don't think it's a good idea to make an connection between a product and a mass murdering psychopath who eats his victims with fava beans! Although there seems to be a lot of people who became :spyder: collectors after watching the movie, i didn't realise that H.B. used a :spyder: untill reading about in here. I also don't think there is a market for a "jeffrey Dahmer" Spyderco knife.
I was afraid this might happen, and actually went to the trouble of privately e-mailing Joyce offline to inquire as to whether or not she might have a problem with me using this ID before starting to post. (In fairness, I did not receive a reply after a week or so and opted to begin posting in any event.)

Several points I feel the compulsion to make:

Lecter is not a real person, and never was; he is the product of the fertile imagination of Thomas Harris. I believe this effectively negates the argument concerning a "Dahmer model." An Anthony Hopkins laser-engraved model would be lovely.

Lecter is not a psychopath, he is a sociopath. All three of Harris' books make this point with further explanation.

Unless you have actually *read* the book "Hannibal" by Thomas Harris, you are hardly in a position to pass judgment on even the *fictitious* character; Ridley Scott should be severly chastized for what he did to the book when interpreting for the movie. The book explains some of the "why" behind the horrible acts; not that this makes such atrocious behaviors acceptible, but it does make the character a bit more sympathetic.

I do not approve of Lecter's sociopathic tendencies; quite the contrary. I would seek to embody the positive aspects of his personality, though you have to seek a bit to find them.

Do I not conduct myself as a gentlemen here? Do I not give polite consideration to all? Like the character, I despise the rude and inconsiderate, and I have scant little patience with the discouteous. In fairness, however, this is never a reason to take a life. :eek:

On to the subject: in the book "Hannibal" (Chapter 55), Lecter attends a gun show and purchases a Spyderco Harpy, an unnamed "straight, serrated Spyderco with a four-inch blade," a drop-point skinner, a good game saw, a flat leather sap, and a Civilian. He also asks for carbon-steel kitchen cutlery, although the vendor cannot provide them and suggests he obtain them from flea markets (as I do).

I would also suggest for him a Spyderhawk! :D

Let's all keep this fictional character in perspective; he is a work of fiction, nothing more. I do not admire for one second his atrocities, but his taste, in blades at least, is impeccable.

All the best,

H
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
Hannibal Lecter

The Talented Lady Simona

Simona, you are a Lady of great talent with an exceptional eye for beauty. You have my undying apprecation for creating such a wonderful screen background at the mere request of someone you have not even met.

My hat is off to you.

All the best,

H
---------------------

loki88

Post by loki88 »

Simona u are so great, i can't believe u can make something so pretty in just a few hours! This is not just talent, there has to be more about it.

Jeffrey Dahmer was a serial killer who killed and ate different of his victims.When the police entered his appartement they found piles of rotting bodies in large drums and frozen heads an penisses. They also found the he ate parts of his victims.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_kill ... aked1.html

XXX
loki88

Post by loki88 »

Hey Hannibal, no offence man, i am fully aware that HL is a fictious character, i have red the three Harris Books "Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal" They recide in my rather large book collection. I have seen all three movies as well, and the older version. I don't mind it that u call yourself HL. But remember the whole RAMBO "hype", suddenly the whole "hollow handle" survival knife was smudged by the fact that some clever low budget firms wanted to cash in on a profit. I don't think it is a good idea that u should engrave a blade with anything that could give u a false start in court should it ever be needed in self defense. I wouldn't mind Spyderco making "sterile blade". Can u imagine what the jury will think when they hear the DA tell them " the victims was butchered by this knife, a knife solely designed to rip flesh apart and make deep deadly cuts, the blade is even inscripted with Hannibal Lecter name, a name we all remember by those gruesome films. This man u see her before u, purchased this specific knife, the same as used by HL to butcher his victims , so he could butcher his own victim" " U are looking at a man who wanted to be hannibal lecter in real life, he even bought the right equipment for it"

Not a good start IMHO

peace
Hannibal Lecter

No Offense Taken

loki88 wrote:Hey Hannibal, no offense man...

Not a good start IMHO
I am not offended in the slightest; I just wanted to be sure the record was set straight lest someone on the board get the wrong idea. Quite the contrary; I have been a bit paranoid that I might be taken as a nut job and shunned due to choosing such an ID.

I agree that a HL model could *never* be carried for defense unless you just *wanted* to be incarcerated. After ten+ years as a concealed carry instructor, I am acutely aware of the litigous nature of our society and the ramifications of doing something stupid from a legally defensible standpoint.

That being said, it would nonetheless look *fabulous* in a display case. :D

Your points are all duly noted. Enjoy your blades, my friend; I wish nothing but the best for you and yours. Keep safe...

Ta,

H
---------------------

Senate

Post by Senate »

I tend to agree with Loki on this one, there has been recent events in the US and elsewhere that already make us knifenuts look guilty for just wearing a knife and using it peacefully. It's not the best time to talk of that kind of topic even fictionnal as we all know that not everybody is capable to make the difference :(
I would love to see a HL Harpy special edition in an engraved wooden box, really (another one I couldn't afford yeah!!!) but sheeple aren't ready for that...
Rambo was killing Russians and Vietcongs with his pocket matchet, I guess it was more OK :)

and yes you absolutely need a Civilian, it's the king of all recurved blade, the one to rule them all ;)
Simona

Post by Simona »

Senate wrote " and yes you absolutely need a Civilian, it's the king of all recurved blade, the one to rule them all .."

I agree, you need one! :p

1024x768
JD Spydo

Balance this out

Post by JD Spydo »

Hello All: I think after reading all of these posts I have to conclude that I think "Senate" has really hit the nail on the head. I am a member of the AKTI
( American Knife & Tool Institute) which is the NRA of us knife enthusiasts. I agree with senate whole heartedly that we are already having to explain to a bunch of politically correct air heads why it is justifiable for us to carry and use our blades with great freedom. But Don't get mad at me just yet "Hannibal" because as some of you know I am a man who has a satirical sense of humor my own self. With all of this being said "Senate" is right we need to be very careful how we practice our liberty. I agree with what one of the founding fathers said: " With rights comes responsibility". I like to be funny a lot too but we cannot afford to look like we are malevolent or twisted to the public at the expense of having a bunch of flaked out jerks wanting to pass draconian knife legislation. This is a time we have to be good ambassadors for our cause. By projecting an image of being safe-minded and respecting the knife like all other tools we can virtually stop them before they get a foothold. Thank you and GOD Bless you all :) :spyder: :)
Hannibal Lecter

Self-Defense

I suppose in fairness that to keep ourselves completely out of hot water, we should likewise not carry anything that could be construed as "hair-splitting" so to speak, like the Ken Onion Kershaw "Speed Safe" series that could easily be miscontrued as switchblade or "automatic" knives by those who are less informed than we.

Society's rampant stupidity can be most inconvenient.

It comes down to the point where each individual ultimately has to choose for themselves what is and is not acceptable risk for self-protection. I have been voluntarily choosing to *not* carry a firearm of late, because the realities of doing so are grim should I require its use. I would immediately lose my job should an incident occur near my workplace (right or wrong), I would likely be arrested immediately unless there are several witnesses who can corroborate my self-defense story with unfailing accuracy, and will in whatever event likely be the target of a lawsuit costing me a great deal of time and money however the verdict would turn out. All this being said, I will retain the *right* to carry, but I may choose that there are better alternatives. My Surefire 6Z combatlight is, in fact, a good alternative, and I carry it daily as a deterrent to potential assailants.

Where I reside, precious few would make the connection between the Harpy and Lecter unless, as pointed out, our fictitious signature HL model was the one in question. Only a complete fool would carry such a knife as an EDC for defense; I see those who brag about having the discontinued Winchester Black Talon rounds for their handguns in the same light: they must *want* to go to prison...

Incidentally, no offense taken, J.D. I know you, and I know your intentions; you are an honorable man whose heart is in the right place. You are attempting to watch out for the best interests of the law-abiding knife owner.

As am I.

I likewise take great pains to try to keep my CCW students out of trouble and intentionally paint a bleak picture of the realities of modern culture where self-defense with *anything* is concerned, and I reserve the right to deny a certificate to any student who I do not feel has the skills and abilities to safely carry a firearm.

For the sake of not offending delicate sensitivities, perhaps discussions directly concerning the fictitious character of Hannibal Lecter would be better reserved for the Off-Topic forum.

Or maybe not at all...

Ta,

H
---------------------

loki88

Post by loki88 »

You are right HL, i also like the contrast between such a refined man and his fictious deeds. I am a LEO , and carry beside my glock 19, Surefire 6Z, a Spyderco Civilian in a horizontal belt sheath, a SS ATR, i also carry a good can of O.C., a streamlight LED Kubotan, and have a Sjambok in my car. I like to see myself as well prepared. But although i think it is a good SD package i ,even beeing a LEO, am aware of the possibility of ending up on the suspects chair. We should watch out not to give the ANTI's fuel for their battle against the armed civilian. I remember most recently that a boy got 10 years prison for manslaughter, and there was a whole fuss about the guy using a "military style knife", meaning the Spyderco Military model, great knife b.t.w. I can't say for certain but it might hace influenced the jury that this college kid carried a "military" knife. If sal had made it in pink and lime and called it the "fluffy bunny carrot peeler", it MIGHT influenced the jury that the guy was not a killer but a lover of herbivores. I realise that this would be a dificult knife to sell to the general public, as we all like some more masculin names for our knives. :D
Hannibal Lecter

Fluffy Bunny Carrot Peeler?

loki88 wrote:If sal had made it in pink and lime and called it the "fluffy bunny carrot peeler", it MIGHT influenced the jury that the guy was not a killer but a lover of herbivores. I realise that this would be a dificult knife to sell to the general public, as we all like some more masculin names for our knives. :D
What a scream. The "fluffy bunny carrot peeler." :D

I'd buy one, anyway, just for the novelty. And I will certainly use it to describe my Harpy in the future, just for amusement. I thankfully work with a bunch of complete gun-and-knife-nut lunatics; they'll appreciate the comedic value enormously.

Thank you for starting my otherwise somewhat grim day with a smile.

Ta,

H
---------------------

Vess

Post by Vess »

Personally I love the "fluffy bunny carrot peeler" approach... :)

I mean a Harpy blade in a nice pink G-10 scale and maybe a multicolored fluffy bunny on it, or cartoonish bunny face and a carrot on it. With something like that I really can't picture a LEO or anyone else for that matter calling it a lethal weapon. I'm sure the same knife with a black handle will get a completely different OMG!! reaction.
loki88

Post by loki88 »

I think we would put dialex at work so he can design the most outrageous "wolf in sheepscloth" knife he can design! Or anyone else who has aspirations. "Ok, ok it DID leave a 3 inch deep and 5 inch wide gash in the guy, but look it has an orange carrot like handle with a green tip, it even has a little bunnyhead charm on the lanyard. The blade has a laser engraved running bunny on it. And look a rabbit HOLE in the blade!. And when u open the blade there is a little computer chip voice that's says "ththththats all folks"! :D
ErinMT

Post by ErinMT »

Now who here wouldn't buy one of those? That would be the coolest knife Spyderco ever put out!
loki88

Post by loki88 »

maybe a special run? Sal?

Or a red santa Claus hawkbill with etched reindeers on the blade how how how. COP " MISTER? WHY DO U NEED THIS KNIFE?" " euh it's my Santa Claus knife, i get presents remember? HELLO????" :rolleyes: "jingle bells jingle bless" while u close the knife.

Not really tactical in the far east " ok lets sneak up to the outpost and neutralise the guards with our knives , be extremely carefull not to make any noice ................"JINGLE BELLS JINGLE BELLS....." :D