Question for Sal; re: Bison

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cvnhank

Question for Sal; re: Bison

Post by cvnhank »

Sal,
When will your company bring out the Bison? Can you shed any light on this folder? Thanks in advance. Hank
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Hank.

The model is still in the "concept model" stage. That means, "we don't know if we will make it, we're gathering ELU and dealer opinion".

The design was created at the request of the forumites. We really had no intention to make such a large folder, but we look closely at all ELU or dealer design requests.

We're still refining the design and showing. Reaction in some areas like Texas and Eastern Europe has been positive.

We'll make some decisions by early spring.

sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Got a look at the Bison "concept model" at NYCKS last week. IMHO, it's a great looking design. If Sal decides to make it, I'll buy one in a heartbeat for my collection. Doubt that I'd ever carry it in my pocket, as l prefer carrying my knife loose in rear pocket and the Bison is a tad or three too large for that, the Stretch and Persian are about my limit. On the other hand, I might just clip one inside my "murse", as Java calls it, as a "woodjaratha" piece - to take out when if co-worker comments on the size of my Stretch :eek: and say "would you rather I used this?". :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Senate

Post by Senate »

Can someone post a brief description of the Bison? blade shape etc...
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I'm just waiting for it to come out... need a large folder. Carry and use my Tichbourne H5, and no-one says anything about me using the 5" fixed...
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
cvnhank

Post by cvnhank »

Sal:
If you make it I'll buy three or more. I think there are a lot of ELU's that appreciate a large folder. Thanks again. Hank.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Senate wrote:Can someone post a brief description of the Bison? blade shape etc...
uh, IIRC, close to 5" recurve blade, chinook/manix style front-lock, dual liners, G-10 handle, MBC strength ?
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Ted wrote:uh, IIRC, close to 5" recurve blade, chinook/manix style front-lock, dual liners, G-10 handle, MBC strength ?
(assuming a clip that allows for tip-up left-hand carry) Me want! Me want!
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

recurve blade?
yummy! I'm in for one too!
-Dean
sven

Post by sven »

oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh pkease make that knife Mr. Glesser! that would make make me a very happy sven. in fact, i'd be more than happy to test a prototype and let you know what i think ;-) :D :D :D i've been waiting for a long time for spyderco to make a large forlder and i de belive that it was i that posted all teh large folder request posts. but anyway, take care all.

sven
steel is unforgiving... sharp steel even more so
Senate

Post by Senate »

Ted wrote:uh, IIRC, close to 5" recurve blade, chinook/manix style front-lock, dual liners, G-10 handle, MBC strength ?
wowwww, 5" recurve blade, that's some serious stuff, even bigger than the Skirmish! nice! :)
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

[quote="sven"]oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh pkease make that knife Mr. Glesser! that would make make me a very happy sven. in fact, i'd be more than happy to test a prototype and let you know what i think ]

Sven, for some reason, I kind of knew you were going to chime in somwhere in this thread :D
-Dean
sven

Post by sven »

of course i had to chime in..... been lurking for a while and this was the thread to lure me out :D

sven
steel is unforgiving... sharp steel even more so
pyrolyzer

Post by pyrolyzer »

sal wrote:Reaction in some areas like Texas and Eastern Europe has been positive.
Yep. We Texans can carry knives up to 5.5-inches in blade length. One of my everyday carry knives is a 5-inch folder. My friend calls it the "Hobbit Sword." I'd rather carry a :spyder: -product though.

Chuck
Lost Jaguar

Post by Lost Jaguar »

Great name and great concept. Make it lefty-friendly and S30V, and I'll buy two. I can see a blade logo like the late Mr. Simonich's. TATANKA! It'll cause a stampede by the members of this forum and a couple other forums I can think of.

Made in USA, I presume?
Prepare for Anything, Expect Nothing
talonturbo

Post by talonturbo »

pyrolyzer wrote:Yep. We Texans can carry knives up to 5.5-inches in blade length. One of my everyday carry knives is a 5-inch folder. My friend calls it the "Hobbit Sword." I'd rather carry a :spyder: -product though.

Chuck

And we Canadians have no folder restrictions...as long as not auto or bali.
talonturbo

Post by talonturbo »

sal wrote: We're still refining the design and showing. Reaction in some areas like Texas and Eastern Europe has been positive.

We'll make some decisions by early spring.

sal
Hi Sal. Don't forget about us Canadians either, as we have no size limitations on folders, as long as they aren't balis or autos.
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

Lost Jaguar wrote:Great name and great concept.
I actually never stopped to think about it but it is a great sounding name. Not only does it sound likes Col. Bison in the old Capcom Street Fighter, but you instantly get the image of a strong, stout knife. Good point!
-Dean
JD Spydo

Supreme Hunter

Post by JD Spydo »

Mr Glesser please don't forget my recommendation of making a version of that Bison with a guthook. You could call it the Supreme Hunter. That would be one ferocious skinner. Also I think that one with a Micarta handle would be the cat's meow as well. Just a thought/ maybe a suggestion hint, hint :D :spyder: :)
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

I like the idea of the gut hook. I never used one but I hear they work great on soft hides.

The only thing I have to disagree with you(for once) is the name. Cold Steel already has a knife called "Ultimate Hunter", which is basically a 3.5" drop point based on Lloys Pendleton's design. So Supreme hunter isn't exactly appropriate....but that's just me :D

-Dean