Gray Calypso Jr. is here!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Outlaw

Gray Calypso Jr. is here!

Post by Outlaw »

My anxiously awaited Gray Calypso Jr. is finally here. My first impression right out of the box was...
WHAT A COOL LITTLE KNIFE! I'm really glad I got one of these.

It is perhaps the perfect size for the office or where sheepeople are milling about. The handle is a much darker gray than expected. I guess I'm used to the handle of my Gray Goddard which is much lighter. The darker FRN handle with it's "fish scales" gives the overall impression that the handle is quite strong.
The workmanship appears to be first rate. The blade when closed, is only slightly off to the left. In comparison, my Gray Goddard is so off center to the right, that it seems to just barely clear the handle. I only mention this because of other posts concerning the blade being centered. On my Goddard it makes no real world difference.
Now to the sharpness factor... Out of the box it will easily shave a layer off a sheet of paper. This is my own personal sharpness test. I've noticed that a blade that can shave arm hair, sometimes is not be able shave a sheet of paper.
Final important factor, fit... With my thumb & forefinger placed on the Spine Cusp & the Choil, it is surprisingly comfortable in my hand. I thought a "small" knife might be a problem, not so.

While I've yet to perform any real world cutting chores, the Calypso Jr. has lived up to the high expectations that I've had after reading all the post here & on BF.

Guys,
Thanks for all the info on the Calypso Jr. I'm a happy camper! :)
klattman

Post by klattman »

Outlaw wrote:My anxiously awaited Gray Calypso Jr. is finally here. My first impression right out of the box was...
WHAT A COOL LITTLE KNIFE! I'm really glad I got one of these.

It is perhaps the perfect size for the office or where sheepeople are milling about. The handle is a much darker gray than expected. I guess I'm used to the handle of my Gray Goddard which is much lighter. The darker FRN handle with it's "fish scales" gives the overall impression that the handle is quite strong.
The workmanship appears to be first rate. The blade when closed, is only slightly off to the left. In comparison, my Gray Goddard is so off center to the right, that it seems to just barely clear the handle. I only mention this because of other posts concerning the blade being centered. On my Goddard it makes no real world difference.
Now to the sharpness factor... Out of the box it will easily shave a layer off a sheet of paper. This is my own personal sharpness test. I've noticed that a blade that can shave arm hair, sometimes is not be able shave a sheet of paper.
Final important factor, fit... With my thumb & forefinger placed on the Spine Cusp & the Choil, it is surprisingly comfortable in my hand. I thought a "small" knife might be a problem, not so.

While I've yet to perform any real world cutting chores, the Calypso Jr. has lived up to the high expectations that I've had after reading all the post here & on BF.

Guys,
Thanks for all the info on the Calypso Jr. I'm a happy camper! :)
Yep the choils and spine make it fit the hand just right. What a great design. I thought I would hate FRN (it's my only FRN knife), but with such a great design, I cannot complain a bit.
Glad you like it!
fret

Post by fret »

The Calypso Jr. is a really nice edc. I am working on getting one asap. I just checked my email and I will be getting one for sure.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

What a great design. It is my all time greatest knife.
It is as near a perfect knife as you can get, so far. Size, weight, and sear cutting power. It can zip a cardboard box into shreads in no time flat, but still has the "bite" to cut wood easily. A test I use is the "apple test", if I don't cut my fingers slicing an apple, it passes.
ENJOY YOUR CALYPSO JR!
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

Outlaw,
perfect for the office is right. I just received another gray today (with the tan enduras). And I have a black one in my pocket. It's just right for this environment. Now if I just clip on the tan Endura to my dark blue pants :eek:
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
fret

Post by fret »

My newest member has arrived today. Calypso Jr. FRN Grey. Beautiful too. No play in the blade at all. When closed, the blade aligns dead center. I like the "fish scales" on the handles. I don't think I'll be edc with this one as it's too nice for that. I will put it in my collection and keep using my older Delica even tho I would like to start using the Calypso Jr. Nope. Just keep it for looks only. Sharp as a razor right out of the box. Fits my hand perfectly too. Very nice!
Outlaw

Post by Outlaw »

I too thought about placing this gray "collectors" edition in my collection but.... naw. This knife is just too cool / useful. It's my new EDC.

I'm thinking about getting a second Calypso Jr. for the collection,
or in case I loose this one,
or in case it gets damaged,
or just to have a spare... :)
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I gotta pick up a 3rd one! 1st one will stay brand new. 2nd will be a user. 3rd one will be a spare
chinook

Post by chinook »

GarageBoy wrote:I gotta pick up a 3rd one! 1st one will stay brand new. 2nd will be a user. 3rd one will be a spare
I hate this shite...
Same argument I used for my G10 Harpy, and the almite and carbon fiber Cricket, then the Vieles and the Wegners and now the grey FRN Calypso Jr. Well how about my micarta versions and the full-size ones in each blade edge?

Hard to get any sympathy around here. :)
.><CHINOOK*>
sal

Post by sal »

The Caly was designed to be a user. All of the time and effort to create the ergos, use excellent steel, fit, finish and reliability do not show well in the showcase.

The "spirit" of my designs can only be appreciated when they are free to be used.

Hey Chinook, I agree. It seems that many of my designs only appeal to a smaller group of people.

sal
redhawk44p

Post by redhawk44p »

I think the Caly looks good. It is a pocket laser with clean sleek look.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Hey, the new one is only there because I need a reference SHARP edge
fret

Post by fret »

The Calypso Jr. is definitely a user-friendly knife. I am also trying to get another CJr. for edc but not the one I have right now. It will remain in my small but growing collection of Spydies.
mrd74

Post by mrd74 »

I just got my first Spyderco,a Calypso jr....I don't think it will be my last.
jgw65

Post by jgw65 »

I've been carrying a grey Calypso for a couple of weeks now and I agree its a great little EDC. I was just thinking about how many times its been out of my pocket today. First, I used it to open a dog food bag. Then to open the package for the new towel bar I installed, the package of replacement batteries for my radio remote, my mail, and a box of books at work. I cut a sheet out of a set of engineering plans so I could put it on the copier and used it to cut a sandwich. All in all, a good days work.
fret

Post by fret »

I got a Calypso Jr. with black handle and full serrated edge. When did Spyderco stop making the black handled ones? It's really nice too.
fredswartz

Gray Calypso Jr.

Post by fredswartz »

I have been carrying one for six months and I can't complain. I just spent and evening cutting boxes with it and it is still sharp. In my opinion, it is an under rated knife. My only problem is that it keeps wanting to jump out of the hem of my jeans and has gotten scuffed up hitting the ground.
Outlaw

Post by Outlaw »

I spent my 4 day Thanksgiving weekend moving, with my Calypso Jr. at my side.
First it cut tape from a loose roll going on boxes, (I'm too cheap to buy a tape gun) then I used it to cut the tape to open the boxes. Unlike other knives I've used for this chore, the cutting edge of the blade never once got gummed up! The more I use this little knife the more I like it!

Thank you Sal for such a great design!