Slick Stainless Spydie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hannibal Lecter

Slick Stainless Spydie

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

I don't know if anyone else here has encountered this issue, but I find the fairly slick surface of the Harpy stainless steel to be a bit troublesome when I need the knife drawn in a hurry. After careful examination, I feel that this could be potentially remedied in one of two ways rather easily: either open up the teardrop cutout at the large end a bit more to better accommodate a thumb when drawing, or attach a small ledge of some sort to the clip attachment point to better enable one's finger to get a grip.

I realize that this is probably a minor issue for most (if any others), and I will likely be forced to just buy a second Harpy and modify this one myself to my personal specs. It just seems that the clip holds so well (not that this is to be construed as a complaint) that it is sometimes a bit slow to draw from dress slacks.

Thoughts? Has anyone else encountered this inconvenience or do I stand alone here?
JD Spydo

tacky coating

Post by JD Spydo »

Yeah Hannibal there are several clear laquer or shellac type coatings of which you could coat the outside of the handle which would make it more tacky and easy to handle. There are also products that a paint-on type of rubber coating like they use on hand tools. I know that one wouldn't make it look good but it would make it more functional. I do like the stainless handles myself for the durability aspect of it. :) :spyder: :)
silverback

Post by silverback »

I remember reading on this forum about using skateboard grip tape for slick handles.
Might look ugly, but you could cut it in lovely shapes.
Maybe little :spyder: s? :)

You could also cut some cool designs (a :spyder: again? :rolleyes: ) into the handle with a dremel or, better yet, a cnc machine.

Tell us what you decide and how it performs!
Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week. -George Bernard Shaw

Go is a pursuit of such value that one can devote a lifetime to it and have nothing to regret. Why not, then, challenge the limit of your powers. -Toshiro Kageyama 7-Dan
hrdwrguy

Post by hrdwrguy »

The store I work at sells a clear grip tape, mainly for stairs and things. It's not as rough as skateboard tape just a texture finish pressed into the rubber. I've put it on an SS delica and endura with good results. The skateboard tape is quite agressive, I've handled a kershaw that had it and it would have shredded my jeans pocket with use. The clear stuff doesn't do that. I don't know if this helps your particular problem but it helped mine.
mike
Hannibal Lecter

Not quite what I had in mind...

Whilst I very much appreciate the suggestions concerning the tapes and such, I don't ever see myself putting tape on my carry blades. I was thinking more along the lines of a permanent fix, either by adding or removing metal. I also considered an aggressive engraving job, having worked for an engraver for a brief time as part of my former job duties.

I'll have to ponder this a bit more; I'll keep you abreast of developments.
DOD-Gixxer

Post by DOD-Gixxer »

Griptape is permanent it will hold up to water, people jumping on it all day, and so far, being smashed into the ground from a 9 set of stairs (only bailed it, I'll stick it one day). You either have to heat it or work like **** to get it off. Generic brands will often de-grip, the abrasive will comeoff. You can also do this yourself, by rubbing scraps against the piece to be put on the handle. If you get some dirt on it, to get it clean, you have to rub it with an eraser, or this eraser like thing that is sold especially for this purpose. It will not remove mud or other stuff that can be ground into the abrasive, so if it get's bad, you'll have to re-grip.

When you apply it you may some plastic stuff stretching out on the sides making hair like stuff sticking out from the edges.

I've seen it in different colors, again the cleaning. I've seen pink, red, purple, and a dark blue.

By de-gripping it, it is possible to have it fine enough so that it won't be to aggressive at all.

If you want some tips for application, just ask.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Because of its location, enlarging the top end of the drainage hole may weaken the handle considerably. Creating a large, shallow "dimple" at that point (say half an inch in diameter but only half as deep as the thickenss of the left handle) might give you the traction you desire with less chance of undesirable consquences. If you do this, it would also probably help to give the interior of that dimple a relatively coarse finish.

Stippling the "flat" portion of the clip might also help. Might be worth getting a spare clip and experimenting with that.

An alternative solution might be to try a change in opening style. Some folks draw Spyderco tip down models by the blade, by placing their thumb and forefinger on opposite sides of the :spyder: hole, then "shake" the knife open once drawn. Works well with metal handled models like the Harpy.

Of course engraving definitely adds traction, not to mention what it can do for the looks of a knife.

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
talonturbo

Post by talonturbo »

Hi. I've also read that those big shower or bath sticky flowershaped things work well too. Just cover the entire handle with a pedal (or whatever shape you find) and trim to size.
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

i currently have some waterproof grip tape (it was designed for metal stairs) on my SS police, just two stripes across the side of the handle without the clip and it has improved my grip on it tremendously - however i am thinking of getting some fairly coarse emery cloth and sanding it back to a matte finish then getting a spyder logo and a web engraved fairly deeply into both sides the handle (about 0.5-1.00 mm deep)
if and when i get it done i will post pics here
Hannibal Lecter

The Deacon wrote:An alternative solution might be to try a change in opening style. Some folks draw Spyderco tip down models by the blade, by placing their thumb and forefinger on opposite sides of the :spyder: hole, then "shake" the knife open once drawn. Works well with metal handled models like the Harpy.
I have been playing with this technique since you mentioned it and am more enamored with it than I initially thought I might be. I will continue and see what develops as I become more adept.

I am also giving serious consideration to the suggestion to "dimple" the large end of the drain hole a bit; seems like a reasonable solution without adversely affecting the strength of the handle or the overall look of the knife.

Much appreciation for the suggestions, Sir. You have my sincere thanks.
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Regarding the grip tape, don't dismiss it right away. It's cheap enough to at least try it. Trust me, it doesn't have to look cheap in any way. And it stays on pretty solid. The trick, however, is to find tape that offers grip, is thin, and doesn't tear away your pockets.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Might be a little pricey but you can have a gun smith cut 30 lpi checkering in the scales.
I have yet to see one done but I think it would look great.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
berzerker

Post by berzerker »

I've had success with clipping a 3/4" steel ring (either split or welded) inside the clip. It doesn't stop you from clipping the piece, you can always take it off, it's unobtrusive yet gives you something to pull.

Best regards.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Was just looking at a couple of my ProGrips. Another possible solution worth trying, assuming Spyderco has, and will sell you one, would be to replace the Harpy's clip with one from a ProGrip. Hole pattern appears identical.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Hannibal,

Don't laugh, but a cheap quick fix is to consider pouring a thin layer of super glue over the scales. When it dries, it leaves a semi rough surface. Remove with acetone. I used this on my Mariner and it generally last about 3 months of pocket carry and use. Try it on a scrap piece of steel first to see what I mean.
Otherwise, engraving seems a good permanent fix.

Stu
loki88

Post by loki88 »

Hannibal, i purchased a thin piece of real carbon fiber and cut out the outline and holes for my SS cricket with my Dremel . It was my first time i tried it and it works and looks great IMHO. I glued it to the non clip side of the handle with VERY high grade 2 component glue. Haven't took any pictures yet but will get of my lazy *** and take a pic.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I dont understand some guys. When the stretch came out, people were complaining that the Kraton got in the way.
JD Spydo

Be Careful!!!!!

Post by JD Spydo »

loki88 wrote:Hannibal, i purchased a thin piece of real carbon fiber and cut out the outline and holes for my SS cricket with my Dremel . It was my first time i tried it and it works and looks great IMHO. I glued it to the non clip side of the handle with VERY high grade 2 component glue. Haven't took any pictures yet but will get of my lazy *** and take a pic.
Say "loki88" be really careful working with that Carbon Fiber. I have a nephew who just got out of the service. He did all kinds of specialty jobs while he was in there. He worked with Carbon Fiber quite a bit. He told me that the dust from that Carbon Fiber material is even worse than asbestos if inhaled. Again my friend be very careful. We already have one Forum member sick. JD Spydo :)
fret

Post by fret »

Really nice photos of beautifully engraved knives.
loki88

Post by loki88 »

OK, thx for the warning, i did wear a dustmask while working on it but will be even more carefull next time :o