Karambit!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DAYWALKER

Karambit!!!

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha ALL!

Long story short, I just received the other day a :spyder: Karambit from the other side of the world! :eek:

Funny thing is, my Cali Brother KOM sent me a Shomertech Emerson Kerambit Trainer a few weeks ago...The leader of the Samurai, Katsumoto, in the Last Samurai would say it was "karma"...I say I am just blessed and ALMOST as "God Spoiled" as Alexandru the Great is! ;) OBTW, mahalo KOM!

Anyway, after recovering from my "happy confusion", I played with the Karambit until the early morning when I got home from "****"! Initially, I didn't like the pointy butt on the ring, as it got in theway a few times when mahipulating it into the extended position. After a while however, I didn't notice it at all. Opening is FAST due to the short opening stroke, but I must admit, I do not like the high ride...I know it serves a prupose, but still...

Will I carry it? Nope...even though the cops here are pretty easy going about knives, I don't wanna "chance it." I AM however, gonna practice with it and just have fun "experimenting" in full to my ability with this er..."tool"! :D

I have said this before, and I will keep saying it...I am very blessed to be a part of this :spyder: Family!!! NOT just for these "material things" but for the friendship. You can buy a :spyder: Karambit, but the friendships I have made here are priceless!

Mahalo much "you know who"!!! God bless you and yours always!
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
king-of-mars

Post by king-of-mars »

Hey brother make sure you clear the Hilo Kitties out of the room before you start slinging that thing around! :eek:
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Speakling of karambit and kittens....

When this Karambit craze first took, I was a bit amazed at its popularity. I mean, why would so many people be so enamored with this design. Well, my cats provided the answer when I was carelessly holding on to some dental floss wire in one hand while a was on the phone with the other. Small claws can make big cuts!!!! :D On other occasions my cats were so drawn to the shiny blade of a spyderco that they would lunge at it or try to bite it! Luckily, my reflexes were good enough to prevent injury to the silly animals.

So not just take the hello kitties out of the room before training with the karambit, but ALL cats should leave the room when your playing with a shiny new toy.

Have fun!

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
JD Spydo

Karambits R us

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I gave into that fad about a year ago before the Great :spyder: factory got into the act. The one I got is called a Steve Tarani S30V Karambit ( http://www.karambit.com) It is truly a work of art in it's own rite. I wish I knew more about the concept of the Karambit. I had heard that they originated in the Indonesian Archepelago.
Does any body out there in :spyder: land know how mine stacks up against the Great :spyder: version. ( I would like to have the :spyder: one also) :) :spyder: :)
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha guys!

Advice taken on taking the kit's outta the room first! LOL!

JD Spydo, is yours an FB version? I have noticed that this Thomas designed :spyder: has a severe curve to it. The Tarani is much more relaxed. Therefore I would give reach advantage to the Tarani. Also the Tarani has some "teeth" on the blade spine for trapping and tearing...another advantage there depending on the given situation...

Opening and manipulation into the reverse grip does take practice, 'specially when your hands get sweaty! YIPES! :eek:

All in all though, I like this one a LOT.

A big Mahalo much to "you know who"!!! ;)
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
JD Spydo

Tarani Karambit

Post by JD Spydo »

Well "daywalker" I am looking at the box on this Steve Tarani "Karambit". It says the following: BLADE TECH--Tarani Karambit--Master's Model. It is made here in the U.S. and it has S30V blade steel. It has a G-10 handle but it is different than any other G-10 that I have experienced. It has a polished stainless pocket clip. The lock is a really strong " Lock-Back" type lock similar to what is on the :spyder: Chinook II. It is reinforced with a very thick stainless liner. It is a very nice piece. Contact me with a PM message if I can answer any more questions. Oh by the way there is a trainer that goes with it. :) :spyder: :)