MBC in Los Angles

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Saxon

MBC in Los Angles

Post by Saxon »

I just completed levels 1-4 of Martial Blade Concepts hosted by Gabe Suarez at Los Angles. The course instructor was Michael Janich and I must say that both Mike and Gabe are quite the individuals. Both are personable down to earth and gifted as instructors.
Mike has pulled together a program that is simple, sensible, responsible and ethical. Couple together a great sense of humor and extreme knowledge of the subject and what you have is a great learning experience.
Regardless of who you are or what you do the course that Mike offers is well worth the investment of time and money. I look forward to future courses
Thanks Gabe and Mike.
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

what is this MBC stuff?
JD Spydo

Martial Blade Craft

Post by JD Spydo »

severedthumbs wrote:what is this MBC stuff?
MBC is an acronym for Martial Blade Craft. From what I have been told about it, it consists of 4 levels of defensive skills. I have also heard that the program can make a person much more proficient in the art of self defense. I believe that Mr Michael Janich ( who is often on the Forum) is the one who spearheaded the program. I have been personally wanting to enroll in it. If anyone can tell me when the next set of classes will convene I would appreciate knowing when. :) :spyder: :)
Senate

Post by Senate »

Was the course based on a particular knife?
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Not a particular model I think, but I believe the Delica and Endure Drones are a sort of "issue item" in the class. I would love to attend all levels, though. I really should plan a holiday around it in the US! :p

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Matt Studabaker

Post by Matt Studabaker »

The MBC program was, as far as I know, spearheaded by Mike. It's a 4 level program based upon defanging the snake-attacking the offenders attacking limb. I attended levels 1-3 in Grove City, Ohio in October. Mike's a real stand up guy, and a very skilled martial artist. As Saxon said, his instruction is very easy to follow, he's got a great sense of humor, and he knows his craft well. The program wasn't built around a certain knife I don't believe, but it incorporates learning a few conceptual defenses against different angles of attack, rather than learning many individual moves against many different attacks. The program also makes you pretty proficient pretty **** quick. Mike is no longer affiliated with Spyderco--Martial Blade Craft has now become Martial Blade Concepts under BlackHawk Industries. We got Masters of Defense trainers in his class. If it is at all possible, TAKE THESE CLASSES. You'll learn a lot, have a great time, make some new friends, and come away with a great feeling.

Mike's Website
travis quaas

Post by travis quaas »

Matt I second that motion. Mr. Janich is an up-standing guy. And this is not to comment on his "dragging knuckles" approach to walking. In the short time that I have been instructed by Mr. Janich I feel a hella' lot more confident on the street and know what to do if ever I am in an altercation and go to court.

I must note that Mr. Janich's instruction does not just stop at knife attacks. I think many people forget that an attack happens when you are at your most weakest. Therefore, he teaches techniques that will get you out of even those situations.

And for those of you that already know me, you also know that Mr. Janich gets to beat up on me. So what I'm saying here is I apologize for the "dragging knuckles" comment earlier and it will "never" happen again.

TQ
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

don't bring a knife to a gun fight? :confused:
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

severedthumbs wrote:don't bring a knife to a gun fight? :confused:
Actually the course does not teach you how to fight with a knife but rather how to protect yourself. There is a difference which will become very important if you have to face the court. ;)
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

thanks for the info.
Senate

Post by Senate »

severedthumbs wrote:don't bring a knife to a gun fight? :confused:
Actually some Martial Art like Krav Maga teaches you to bring just your hands against a machine gun or even an hand grenade... lol :D
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

well if I am 50 feet away with a machine gun you had better be Neo.
Senate

Post by Senate »

severedthumbs wrote:well if I am 50 feet away with a machine gun you had better be Neo.
in fact I'm behind the concrete wall, you don't see me... :D
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

.50 cal machine gun. it better be one thick wall. :eek:
Joyce Laituri

Post by Joyce Laituri »

Guys - take Michael's class if you ever have the chance. It changes everything about the way you think, react, move and observe. I was only lucky enough to attend one day and still find myself going over it mentally and physically, constantly.

Travis- never before noticed Mr. Janich drags his knuckles - LOL will have to look harder next time. How are you Hag, we miss you!

Joyce @ Spyderco
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and to Saxon for his initial positive feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed the training and would like to congratulate everyone who participated for a job well done. Four solid days of knife training takes a lot of energy and mental focus. You all did an awesome job sticking with the program and I was amazed to see how much you absorbed in such a short period of time.

For the record, my MBC program now stands for "Martial Blade Concepts." Since I am no longer formally affiliated with Spyderco as an instructor, I decided to change the term to avoid any confusion. The content of the curriculum is exactly the same as that which I taught for four years under the auspices of Spyderco. All my teaching is now conducted under the sponsorship of my current employer, Masters of Defense/BlackHawk Products Group. For more information, please consult my new web site http://www.martialbladeconcepts.com.

Also, with regard to the somewhat tired comment about "don't bring a knife to a gunfight," check out the other side of the story (don't bring a gun to a knife fight) in the American Handgunner tactical annual that recently hit the newsstands. I believe it does a very good job of validating the need for knife training to balance out gun-centric self-defense mindsets.

Again, thanks to everyone.

Stay safe,
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
Qship

Post by Qship »

"don't bring a knife to a gun fight?"

Police keep statistics on gunfights. It turns out that most gunfights take place under seven yards, but let's use seven yards because we have data. (In God we trust. All others bring data.)

A fellow by the name of Sgt. Dennis Tueller, with the Salt Lake City Police, originated the Tueller driller, which just records the time it takes to run seven yards from a standing start, reacting to a buzzer. The timer stops when the runner can touch a person seven yards away.

Mas Ayoob, a police trainer, regularly runs the drill in his classes. The average time for a man is about 1.4 seconds. The elderly take about 2 seconds. One fellow in a walking cast did it in 2 seconds.

So, it comes down to whether you can fire an instantly incapacitating shot into a running, evading, attacker in 1.4 seconds.

At 62, I push two seconds to draw from a holster and hit with an aimed shot. In my early twenties, with almost daily practice, I could put five rounds in the kill area of a man sized target at seven yards, in three seconds, point shooting. But, I was using light loads in a steel, snubnosed .38 Special that cleared leather fast and absorbed recoil like a sponge. The holster had no retention devices. The target was stationary, and at a known distance. On my best day, I would have had difficulty stopping a knife attack.

Which brings up a really good reason to understand knife fighting. Understanding what a knife can do greatly improves empty hand counter-bladecraft skills, which may be your best option, even if you are armed.

Qship
travis quaas

Post by travis quaas »

Qship,

By far that was the most rational and calm explaination I have seen in a long time. Imagine also that you didn't put any demeaning retorts in there too! You have just proven again, for me, the reason why I believe the human race will succeed.

Thanks for the post, I enjoyed it tremendously!!
Civilian

Post by Civilian »

I wish I had the $$$ to spen on a few courses. Maybee next summer.
MAT :spyder: TER
Just-American
WTC#1511
"Hunt You Down All Nightmare Long!"
"Civilian Lovers appreciate nice curves" insp. by Dr. Snubnose