My birthday present: C94 "UK Penknife."

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Carlos

My birthday present: C94 "UK Penknife."

Post by Carlos »

Well the brown truck dropped off my birthday present from Spyderco, albeit a couple days late but then the brown truck doesn't deliver on Saturdays AFAIK (so I'll let it slide this year Sal ;) ).

I'd been looking forward to this one for a while: 2 7/8" blade of S30V. G10 handle with a heavy stainless steel backspacer. Low-profile darkened wire clip in tip-up, ambidextrous. The slipjoint mechanism is very simple, as the backspacer is also the backspring.

This one is bound to appeal to a lot of Calypso Jr. lovers, and I believe that Sal considers it an evolution of the Calypso design. The blade profile is a little different, like a cross between the Para and the Jr.

The knife has some solid resistance to opening, and 20# resistance to closing. I can't imagine this opening in anyone's pocket, or even those Canadian customs guys managing to flick it open. :p If you want a linerlock-like easy open, then this isn't the knife for you. The opening is smooth, but a bit stiff. Like a lockback it will snap closed for the first inch of travel.

Back when I first saw the proto I pestered Sal about producing a locking version, but now that I hold the finished product in my hands, I think it is fine the way it is. I wonder now if light duty folders (which is how I use my EDC pocket knives) really need locks.
"Wild animals are beautiful because they have hard lives."
- Paul Graham
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

Many congrats Carlos! :D

This is one I have been waiting for for some time now, especially as I had a very small part (I still prefer my name suggestion! ;) ), like a large number of others on British Blades, in the design/naming/arguing/name calling............that culminated in Sal offering such a tool.

It is again especially welcome in the UK, as due to case law, EDC with locking blades require "good reason". This will give us a totally legal "no good reason requirement" EDC. :D :D

Is there any chance you can post pics? We have seen pre-production specimens pics, but a pic of a "live" Penknife may hopefuuly contain my exitement until I receive one of my very own!! ;)

Regards,

Simon.
"From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered; we happy few; we band of brothers...for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Henry V

"......and he that has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
Slvgx

Post by Slvgx »

I second that! I have not seen it at all, anywhere. Can you post pics, or anyone post a link to pictures of it?
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/sho ... php?t=6182

These are the shots of the pre-production model. If memory serves, they were taken at the '04 SHOT Show.

Again, a pic of a "live" one would be fantastic! (cough, cough, Carlos, cough!) :D

Simon.
"From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered; we happy few; we band of brothers...for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Henry V

"......and he that has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
walderdackel

Post by walderdackel »

Many congrats...
The C94 looks and sounds very interesting. Truly a new definition of a "Slipjoint".
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

I missed a few chapters in the whole PenKnife project so i have to admit I'm confused. Wasn't there an issue about one-hand opening knives in UK, and Sal had to find a way to make a hole ( :spyder: 's trademark) in the blade and not make it one hand opener. Some suggested a laser cut bug instead of the whole, and other cool stuff. So the question is: How come the Penknife has a hole in the blade?
CKE

Post by CKE »

PICTURES please Carlos :) Sounds interesting......
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Jimmy_Dean wrote:Wasn't there an issue about one-hand opening knives in UK, and Sal had to find a way to make a hole ( :spyder: 's trademark) in the blade and not make it one hand opener. Some suggested a laser cut bug instead of the whole, and other cool stuff. So the question is: How come the Penknife has a hole in the blade?
You are thinking about the Denmark version, which wont have a :spyder: hole.

Sorry, no cam = no pics. :(
- Paul Graham
CKE

Post by CKE »

****!!!!!! :( Anyone got pics???????? Thanks anyways Carlos :)
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

CKE wrote:****!!!!!! :( Anyone got pics???????? Thanks anyways Carlos :)
See rickn54's thread: http://66.113.178.251/forums/showthread.php?t=12833
- Paul Graham
spyderknut

Sweet slicer!

Post by spyderknut »

Wow. It's not even listed in :spyder: online catalog yet. Mine should be en route too. Looks like a non-locking Caly Jr. Any thought of a G10 Caly?
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

spyderknut wrote:Wow. It's not even listed in :spyder: online catalog yet. Mine should be en route too.
It won't be listed there. It is a UK exclusive and it isn't being sold in the US to anyone but collectors club members.

And only 500 have been made. If you get one, hang onto it.
- Paul Graham
Senate

Post by Senate »

Carlos wrote:It won't be listed there. It is a UK exclusive and it isn't being sold in the US to anyone but collectors club members.

That's so not cool!!! Hope the Spyderco team change its mind because UK isn't the only country to have very restrictive knife laws... :confused:
Rob

Post by Rob »

You mean 500 pieces that are limited to the UK and that's it?!?! :eek: Oh no... :( I hope that Spyderco will make it availyble to the rest of the world too. It looks like a good user and would be a perfect knife for holidays because Slipjoints are legal almost everywhere.

Cheers, Robert
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

There are parts for 500 more, but I don't know what the production plans are. I think that Spyderco is going to watch sales closely before making any more.

I don't know when/if the Denmark version is scheduled for production.
- Paul Graham
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

Rob F wrote:You mean 500 pieces that are limited to the UK and that's it?!?! :eek: Oh no... :( I hope that Spyderco will make it availyble to the rest of the world too.
I look at it this way. Many in the world purchase from the US, especially with the internet. Now we just have to find a source in the UK. I wonder if foreign sales to the UK would influence the sales curve :confused:
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

Carlos wrote:It won't be listed there. It is a UK exclusive and it isn't being sold in the US to anyone but collectors club members.

Just joined. Collector #041. :D
yog

Post by yog »

Senate wrote:That's so not cool!!! Hope the Spyderco team change its mind because UK isn't the only country to have very restrictive knife laws... :confused:
If it's any help there will be several of in the UK who will be aiming to make it a commercial success. And if that happens hopefully Spyderco will give it a wider distribution :D
I have a feeling it could be a growing trend :(
Walk softly, carry a big stick.
CKE

Post by CKE »

That is one SWEET slipjoint :) I guess we have to hope and pray on this one. Maybe a Forum knife????? Same specs with maybe a different G-10 handle coulour??????
Nicky

Post by Nicky »

Think about it 2 sec: If those c94 don't sell well, it will be easy to get one ( I want two of them) and if it makes a hit then spyderco will be producing more c94... Those who really want one can't lose ;)
The social revolution is now a fact. As I've discover, I'm a proteiform. The only question that remain unclear is; Who are you?