New favorite Spydie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
J Smith

New favorite Spydie

Post by J Smith »

Its here,the Manix.
I can't see anything about this knife that I do not like.I think Spyderco has just came up with the perfect knife.
It is the same size as a Starmate only wider.It has a thick very well shaped blade with a awesome grind.
0 blade play and while I did not care for them when I first saw them on the Native 3 the thumb lugs on this are just right.I think I now perfer them to the older style lugs.
It feels great in hand and has perfect balance.
And know I have to say something to make Sal think that this is really me posting this.We need a run of them with desert tan......well after just looking at it,no we don't.Its is perfect the way it is.
Man I wish I could post the sound of it locking up.
As you can tell I am very excited about this one,been a while sence I have been this happy with a new knife.
Thanks to Eric for a truely great knife.
BTW I was thinking on trying to get a Strider but I think that hole in my collection has been filled.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Ray.Hood

Congrats Mr. S!

Post by Ray.Hood »

Enjoy your new toy. I'm jealous... :D
shootist16

Post by shootist16 »

J Smith wrote: We need a run of them with desert tan
That would look awesome. I would be all over that.

Congrats on the getting one. It is an awesome knife, and Eric's best design to date.
Dennis Bible
JD Spydo

Manix vs Military??

Post by JD Spydo »

How does the Manix compare with the Military? I just got my S30V Military about 2 weeks ago and I just love this thing to no end. Does the Manix have a wider, thicker blade or something. If it will out-do the Military then I am open-ears and would love to hear about it. :confused: :spyder: :)
shootist16

Post by shootist16 »

JD Spydo wrote:How does the Manix compare with the Military? I just got my S30V Military about 2 weeks ago and I just love this thing to no end. Does the Manix have a wider, thicker blade or something. If it will out-do the Military then I am open-ears and would love to hear about it. :confused: :spyder: :)
Think of a military on steroids.
Dennis Bible
spydieman

Post by spydieman »

And I was trying to avoid the urge to get one of these. I am going to have to have one now. I have been very impressed witht the images I have seen so I know I would be even more impressed with actually handling the Manix. Time to start counting my pennies. :)
Mark.

'Just one of God's Critters.' :)
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

shootist16 wrote:Think of a military on steroids.
You got that right.
I love the Military but the Manix just beats it out,I never thought I would find a knife I like as well as the Military.
The only thing that would make it better would be to thin it down some and the only way I see that could be done is to use thiner G10,wouldn't hurt the strength because of the steel liners.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
KBR

Post by KBR »

Thanks for the info, Jeff. I've been looking into the Manix with great interest for a good while. I definitely plan on getting one as soon as I can.

If there is any Spydie that I would replace my Military with, I would have to say that this :spyder: could be the One.

One question, though, how would the Manix compare to the ParaMilitary?
"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Heres a couple crappy pics
[img][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/ ... CF0028.jpg[/img][/IMG]
[img][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/ ... CF0029.jpg[/img][/IMG]
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
KBR

Post by KBR »

:eek: :eek: :eek:
"A man who is of sound mind is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery

Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...
SharpNJ

Post by SharpNJ »

The Manix is a definite winner!
CKE

Post by CKE »

Wow...yet another Manix review that makes this the Spydie to beat.
I am going to go out on a BIG limb here and say something quite uncharacteristic of me. Striders are great I had a Gen 5 drop point SNG. But for 450 US for a (sorry here Strider guys) production knife that is steep. Sure they have a no holds barred warranty but Spyderco has a **** good warranty too. When I got my Chinook II it really felt every bit as beefy and stout as the SNG. The tip yes more delicate as it has such a sweep to it. The Manix I feel would give an SNG a run for its money in every way. I think Strider is a great company with people running it not that un like Sal. Sal is humble and not in your face. Mr Strider and Mr. Dwyer are the opposite which works for them. They do have Bad A$$ Knives. There FB's are well priced for what they are and I think when I do get another Strider it will be a FB. I was not that impressed with the SNG or else I would still have it. I am in NO way bashing Strider as you all know I am not like that :) Strider and Spyderco I think have the 2 best followings out of all production knife companies. Strider is more hands on that I know of...maybe mid tech is more like it. You can't go wrong with either but don't count Spyderco out of the Bad A$$ hard use knife category...I think the Manix and Chinook prove this. Take Care ALL!!!
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

i still like Military lock better.
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

For the Manix to beat out knives like the Military, the Starmate or the G-10 Native as Jeff's favorite it's got to something great. Guess I'm going to have to get one. Since the nearest Spyderco dealer is about 300 miles away I'm going to have to buy one without handling one first (as usual) :( However, it has all the features I prefer, looks great and is getting lots of similarly great reviews, so it doesn't seem like too big a risk.

David
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

David,it really seems to put me in mind of a larger beefed up Native.
While just holding it the feel is something like the feel of a Busse E handle.
BTW it is very smooth.When I got it it was really smooth opening and I didn't feel the need to militec it but I did drop a drop in it today and now I will have to find a new better word for smooooooth.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

Jeff

That was my first impression when I saw pictures of the Manix - a larger, Native. The combination of the "Native-like" spear point blade with a "Military-like" handle should make for a great user.

David
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
JDEE

Post by JDEE »

What I want is a "Para Manix"!
Jdee
Have a Knife Day
rusticforge.com/knives Australia
talonturbo

Post by talonturbo »

JDEE wrote:What I want is a "Para Manix"!
Oooooh great idea! I'll take a regular and a para Manix please.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I said there was nothing about this knife I did not like,well there is one thing.It needs to be renamed.Manix just don't do it justice.
A good one that pops in my mind would be Dauntless (sp?)
Apache,Atlas,Thor,GKK( giant killer knife)that one may not be good for the next court case though.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
uncleknife

manix question

Post by uncleknife »

Does this one come in the boron carbide finish?