Gunting Carry

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderknut

Gunting Carry

Post by spyderknut »

To me this knife does not look "pocket friendly". It just looks like it would be difficult to draw from a pocket. I have seen Gunting holsters for sale but they all have space for the clip. Is there an advantage to leaving the clip on? Are there holsters made that do not have space for the clip? Is the clip necessary for secure carry in holsters made for clipped Guntings? Any list of good sources for :spyder: holsters out there?
JD Spydo

Gunting Dilema???

Post by JD Spydo »

Say there "Spyderknut" I agree with you totally about the Gunting being seemingly a little awkward looking. It just does seem like it would be a little bulky and cumbersome in some situations. Don't get me wrong I love the knife and will not part with mine but I have wondered about the same dilema. I have heard that "Bram Frank" ( the creator) has videos on the knife. I would like to see one of those. I do however think the grip is absolutely awesome. I do wear bib overalls a lot in my work and I think the side leg pocket might be a good place to secure it; ?? maybe?? Well guys I would love some feedback on the Gunting my own self. thank you :) :spyder: :confused:
CKE

Post by CKE »

Eric "Normark" Noeldechen of On/Scene Tactical makes sheaths as well as Mike Sastre. It rides high for sure, but I carried mine for awhile and got used to it. I by no means used it to even 10% of its capacity. To me it is a great piece and a very stout folder. I would love to be able to MBC with it but do not have access to classes. More people for sure will chime in here as there is a strong following of the Gunting. Check out Brams website too, there is lots of info there and some real time videos of moves. HOpe this helped :) Take Care!!!
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
JD Spydo

Sastre/ A 1

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey CKE a big thank you for mentioning Mike Sastre. I had the honor of meeting the man and doing some business with him at the Spirit of Steel knife show in Dallas TX. I bought a neck sheath for my Dodo from him and it is great. I never even thought about asking him about a Gunting sheath. I will be calling him soon about that. :) :spyder:
CKE

Post by CKE »

I have not seen or used any of Mike's work but it is highly recommended around these parts. I have a neck rig for my Salsa from Eric and it is SWEET!!! It is convienient for me because Eric is Canadian and shipping is easier. Take Care and let us know how the sheath turns out :)
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

Ask Simona she is the expert I think.
BOK

Post by BOK »

The clip is designed to balance the knife a little better and for better grip when you are indexing it ie index finger on the clip groove and thumb on the G10 groove on the other side. Index from forward to reverse grip and the placement and design of the clip becomes a little more obvious. It still works without the clip but everyone I know carries with the clip attached in a sheath except aXed who carries a CRMIPT IWB.

I hate pocket carry myself so I carry mine in either a skunkworks sheath (skunkworks no longer exists though), a Vess leather sheath (member of BF) or a Humelbaugh teklok sheath (http://www.survivalsheath.com). Simona has a good pic of this sheath.

I don't think Eric makes Gunting sheaths. I'm sure he's not opposed but I don't remember him making them.
grahjas

Post by grahjas »

I do some custom kydex work...if that helps at all
Jason
A Normal person with incredible knives in the service of an AWESOME God.
CKE

Post by CKE »

When I got my Gunting I contacted Eric about a sheath and he said no problem. Although that was a few years ago :)
M M

Post by M M »

Hi

take a look on my site

http://www.plastictrainer.com

I have all diffrent kinds of Gunting Sheats

Take a look

MM
http://www.plastictrainer.com
markg

Post by markg »

I have one of Mike's sheaths, and I can vouch for the quality and utility of it. He also makes the "Pocket Rocket" sheath for the Gunting that allows you to carry the knife fully in the pocket, however it is oriented for quick draw.
goke

Post by goke »

Gunting is my favourite EDC with a Vess leather sheath. Don't pocket carry it unless you want holes in your pants.
Vess makes these sheaths. http://stores.ebay.ca/Vess-Collectibles

ImageImage

Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Mike Sastre makes a very unique sheath for the Gunting called the "Pocket Rocket." It carries the closed Gunting in the front pants pocket and, thanks to its shape and design, stabilizes it in an upright position. When you draw, the top edge of the sheath snags the pocket and falls away, leaving the knife in your hand in a very user-friendly grip.

Very cool stuff from one of the best Kydex guys in the business.

Stay safe,
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts